Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice. I have a Glock 19 & 26. I really like both, but due to the size, I find myself carrying the 26 more often (I carry iwb mostly). I do carry the 19 owb when hiking/outdoors.

I am looking to get a .40, and have narrowed it to either a Gen 4 Glock 23 or 27. I'm leaning to the 27, for the same reason I carry the 26: size & ease of concealment.

Please give me your thoughts. Does the 27 shoot good? Recoil? I know Hickok45 says it is his favorite EDC.

Thanks & happy Sunday :)

DJ

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
For CC, the G27 is a great choice. But GAP floor plates are a must IMO. I have them on all my G27 mags and even have them on my G26 mags too, even though they aren't needed, but they just feel right on the baby Glocks to me.

Contact Greg and tell him Joe sent you. ;)
P R O D U C T S

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I shoot the 26 just a tad bit better than the 27 for obvious recoil reasons, but not that much. I find myself carrying the 27 more than my 30s. If you find you really like the 27, you can always sell the 26 and buy a 9mm Lone Wolf etc, barrel and shoot both calibers. Or like 1LL and even get the 357 sig barrel. Especially since you already have the 19. But hey, can one really have too many Glocks? :lol:

If you like the .40 cal, get a 27!!

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
What Gen are your G19 and G26?

You can sometimes find fully assembled Glock uppers, slides and barrel assemblies, on Gunbroker.
Of course you'll need a Gen3 if you current frame is Gen 3 and same for Gen 4.

You can run a G23 or G27 sldies on your existing appropriate frames, if they are Gen 3 or 4, although you'll need G23 or G27 mags.
I wouldn't suggest it on a Gen 2 frame.

I have a Gen 3 G22 and I wanted a G34.
I bought the G34 slide on GB, I already had G17 mags.
I can now run three calibers off that one frame, G22 (40), bought a G31 barrel for it (357sig), and now with the G34 slide (9mm)...:mrgreen:

Good thing about buying the slides, no FFL is needed.

Just another option to think about...:mrgreen:

·
Registered
804 Posts
I had a 23 and have a 27. In my hands, I don't think the 27 is that much snappier than the midsize. The 27 isn't unpleasant to shoot, but is certainly more of a handful than your 26. I can tell a difference when shooting my carry loads (Gold Dot 165s) from the generic WWB fodder.

As always, rent one and give it a try. I have no plans to get rid of mine, but will either pick up a Gen4 G26 at some point, or at least grab a conversion barrel for this one. My small hands prefer the Gen4s, but my older G27 is a keeper.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I've had both. I traded my 27 for a Gen 4 23. I really like the 23, but I don't find it any more controllable than the 27. I guess I should actually say I don't find the 27 any less controllable than the 23. If I had to do it over again I'd have a Gen4 G27.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank guys, I appreciate the advice.

1LL, my 26 & 19 are Gen 3's. I also have an OD Gen 4 G 19. I would prefer the .40 to be a Gen 4.

I didn't know you could convert the 27 to a .357 Sig, just the 9mm. That's a pretty cool bonus!

I may see if the range has a 27 to rent. I think I would carry it more than the 23. I have holsters that would fit already.

Joe, I have to thank you for the GAP floorplates on 2 of my 26 mags. I will definitely have them on the 27.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
C'mon DJ. Buy that 27!!!

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Thank guys, I appreciate the advice.

1LL, my 26 & 19 are Gen 3's. I also have an OD Gen 4 G 19. I would prefer the .40 to be a Gen 4.

I didn't know you could convert the 27 to a .357 Sig, just the 9mm. That's a pretty cool bonus!

I may see if the range has a 27 to rent. I think I would carry it more than the 23. I have holsters that would fit already.

Joe, I have to thank you for the GAP floorplates on 2 of my 26 mags. I will definitely have them on the 27.
You should look into the 357sig round.
A little pricey, I usually have to buy it online.
You can use your G27 mags..

A G33 barrel can be had for $144.98 + shipping from LWD.

Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail - Glock OEM Barrel

IMHO the 357sig will have less muzzle flip of the 40cal.
Just imagine shooting +P in your G26, but just a little hotter..

I've got one of my Glocks for sale right now, just so I can buy a G33.

And I've already bought my GAP plates for my upcoming G33..

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
C'mon DJ. Buy that 27!!!

Lol, love that movie! I see a 27 in my future.

You should look into the 357sig round.
A little pricey, I usually have to buy it online.
You can use your G27 mags..

A G33 barrel can be had for $144.98 + shipping from LWD.

Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail - Glock OEM Barrel

IMHO the 357sig will have less muzzle flip of the 40cal.
Just imagine shooting +P in your G26, but just a little hotter..

I've got one of my Glocks for sale right now, just so I can buy a G33.

And I've already bought my GAP plates for my upcoming G33..

Is it simply a barrel & possible mag change for the conversion, or do you have to change the extractor & anything else?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I love my Gen4 27. It's my EDC, and I shoot it rather well. Recoil doesn't bother me with it, and it's quite an accurate small gun.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Is it simply a barrel & possible mag change for the conversion, or do you have to change the extractor & anything else?
40cal to 357sig?
Nope, just a barrel swap in a Glock and most traditional P-series Sigs, except the P239, I think 357sig mags are recommended...

You can use the same mags in your G27.
A 357sig is just a 40cal case bottle necked down to accept 0.355-inch (9.0 mm) bullets.

.357 SIG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And it is a lot of fun to shoot a 9mm projectile at 1400FPS..:cool:

As you read and learn about 357sig, some say there may be over penetration issues.
So if you live in a aprtment complex, they may not be the best choice for HD.
But the Texas DPS have been using 357sig for several years, I think they still use them.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Glock 23 is my new favorite gun... I'm 5 10 200 lbs and I carried it yesterday for 15 or so hours in a fshirt and motocross races.... :D

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love my Gen4 27. It's my EDC, and I shoot it rather well. Recoil doesn't bother me with it, and it's quite an accurate small gun.
Sweet, I appreciate it.

40cal to 357sig?
Nope, just a barrel swap in a Glock and most traditional P-series Sigs, except the P239, I think 357sig mags are recommended...

You can use the same mags in your G27.
A 357sig is just a 40cal case bottle necked down to accept 0.355-inch (9.0 mm) bullets.

.357 SIG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And it is a lot of fun to shoot a 9mm projectile at 1400FPS..:cool:

As you read and learn about 357sig, some say there may be over penetration issues.
So if you live in a aprtment complex, they may not be the best choice for HD.
But the Texas DPS have been using 357sig for several years, I think they still use them.
Thanks, 1LL. That looks like a super fast round that packs a punch ;)

Glock 23 is my new favorite gun... I'm 5 10 200 lbs and I carried it yesterday for 15 or so hours in a fshirt and motocross races.... :D
Heck yeah! What holster do you carry while riding?

·
Registered
18,433 Posts
Since you carry the 26 more, get the 27 and get the .357 sig barrel and 9 mm barrel.
And if you end up selling the 26, just keep a few mags to go with the 9mm conversion barrel

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since you carry the 26 more, get the 27 and get the .357 sig barrel and 9 mm barrel.
And if you end up selling the 26, just keep a few mags to go with the 9mm conversion barrel
I was just about to edit my last post with that exact thought ;)

My 26 looks brand new, and I have all the original stuff it came with. I'll probably have the TFO's swapped to the 27. I have a ton of mags, so I can sweeten the deal with a few more, and still keep several for the 27.

I think I'll eventually sell the 26 and just purchase a 9mm barrel. And maybe a .357 Sig :cool:

Thanks guys, for the advice. That's why this is my favorite forum.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I didn't ride yesterday I was helping my buddies but when I carry while woods riding I usually carry it in my firearm holster by Gavin... I will get a g27 someday I just love the 23... It fills my hand perfect and I'm never getting rid if it!!!!

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Go with the 27. If want a 23 "feel", just add the Xgrip extension and a 23 mag. There....problem solved. :p

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have the G27 and order a .357 sig Lone Wolf barrel I love it but now I'm carrying my new G29 now.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
This thread is talking me into a G31. I need a full-size .40 for another caliber option when stuff is hard to find.

I don't want it to say .40 on the slide though :-D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts