Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one ? Pro's and Con's ? Anybody CCW this beast ? Looking at it for a woods, hunting and maybe CCW - HD detail :twisted:.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I really don't get the 10mm. We don't have enogh rounds to choose from already?:D

Sounds to me like the next latest and greatest just got to have marketing ploy.

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
I really don't get the 10mm. We don't have enogh rounds to choose from already?:D

Sounds to me like the next latest and greatest just got to have marketing ploy.
:rolleyes:

Obviously, you don't seem to realize that the 10mm has been around for close to 25 years...in fact, it predates both .40 S&W and .357Sig (for which 10mm is actually the parent cartridge....40 is a shortened 10mm, and .357s is a necked down 10mm...).

As for the G20 SF...if you want a polymer, striker-fired hicap 10mm, it;s the only way to go. Personally, I prefer the stard G20 over the SF versions, but I've also got big hands.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Your right I guess I just never cared enough about the 10mm to check it
out. (My Bad, shame on me):oops: Seems as though from what your saying the .357 and the 40 kind of turned out to be a more popular round for the masses. Wonder why that is? Just what is the real world benifit to the 10mm round over the 357 the 40 or the 45? Still think it's just a marketing ploy to sell more guns. Like they say there's a sucker born everyday.

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
Your right I guess I just never cared enough about the 10mm to check it
out. (My Bad, shame on me):oops: Seems as though from what your saying the .357 and the 40 kind of turned out to be a more popular round for the masses. Wonder why that is? Just what is the real world benifit to the 10mm round over the 357 the 40 or the 45? Still think it's just a marketing ploy to sell more guns. Like they say there's a sucker born everyday.
Neither one of them can push a 230gr bullet at just under 1100 feet per second, for starters. Or push a 180gr bullet at 1300+.

.40 came around because the FBI thought that 10mm was "too powerful" in it's full-house load, and basically had it downloaded to a 180gr bullet at around 1000fps...which is what they designed the .40 S&W to do in a shorter case to fit a 9mm framed pistol.

.357 Sig came about in an attempt (that failed) to replicate .357magnum in a standard-sized autoloader. However, if one steps up to 9x25 Dillon (another round that is based off 10mm), one can get .357 mag ballistics out of a Glock 20...

But, maybe you're right. I mean, we should just all be perfectly content with existing calibers; there's no room for improvement, right?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I have a G20 and recently made myself an IWB hybrid holster for it, but I have yet to carry it.

For Bluto, the 10mm is perhaps the most powerful "common" round for the semi-automatic platform. It can be loaded to meet or beat .357 Magnum performance.

The 10mm was developed by Jeff Cooper for the Bren Ten pistol in 1983. If you don't know who Jeff Cooper is, you might want to bone up on your handgun history. Shortly after Cooper developed the 10mm, the FBI adopted it as their round of choice following the Miami shootout in 1986.

Eventually, the FBI decided that the 10mm produced too much recoil and that 10mm weapons were too large for agents with smaller hands. Eventually, this decision lead many law enforcement units down the path to the .40 S&W.

So, the 10mm was developed to advance the state of the art for pistols ... not as a marketing ploy to sell more guns.

With that said, the 10mm has become popular with people who are both concerned about self-defense and relatively recoil-insensitive. An easy way to demonstrate this is to conduct a search on this forum using the search terms "XD 10mm". There are a number of XDTalk members who would very much like to see Springfield enter the 10mm market. I would go so far as to say that a 10mm XD variant would have far outsold the new XDm 5.25 - assuming a price tag that was in the same ball park as the Glock 20 and/or 29.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Neither one of them can push a 230gr bullet at just under 1100 feet per second, for starters. Or push a 180gr bullet at 1300+.

.40 came around because the FBI thought that 10mm was "too powerful" in it's full-house load, and basically had it downloaded to a 180gr bullet at around 1000fps...which is what they designed the .40 S&W to do in a shorter case to fit a 9mm framed pistol.

.357 Sig came about in an attempt (that failed) to replicate .357magnum in a standard-sized autoloader. However, if one steps up to 9x25 Dillon (another round that is based off 10mm), one can get .357 mag ballistics out of a Glock 20...

But, maybe you're right. I mean, we should just all be perfectly content with existing calibers; there's no room for improvement, right?:rolleyes:
1. I thought the .3537 Sig was a necked down 40 S&W?

2. I dodn't know thr 9X25 was based off the 10MM.

Learn something new everyday. :cool: :D

I have a buddy who has a G20. They are very similar in size to my XD45 Service model. So if you can CC the XD45, then you could CC the G20.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
The question is. Is it really an improvement? Or is it just more blah ,blah, BS. As mentioned event he FBI thought it was over kill. How dead is dead.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I have a G20 and recently made myself an IWB hybrid holster for it, but I have yet to carry it.

For Bluto, the 10mm is perhaps the most powerful "common" round for the semi-automatic platform. It can be loaded to meet or beat .357 Magnum performance.

The 10mm was developed by Jeff Cooper for the Bren Ten pistol in 1983. If you don't know who Jeff Cooper is, you might want to bone up on your handgun history. Shortly after Cooper developed the 10mm, the FBI adopted it as their round of choice following the Miami shootout in 1986.

Eventually, the FBI decided that the 10mm produced too much recoil and that 10mm weapons were too large for agents with smaller hands. Eventually, this decision lead many law enforcement units down the path to the .40 S&W.

So, the 10mm was developed to advance the state of the art for pistols ... not as a marketing ploy to sell more guns.

With that said, the 10mm has become popular with people who are both concerned about self-defense and relatively recoil-insensitive. An easy way to demonstrate this is to conduct a search on this forum using the search terms "XD 10mm". There are a number of XDTalk members who would very much like to see Springfield enter the 10mm market. I would go so far as to say that a 10mm XD variant would have far outsold the new XDm 5.25 - assuming a price tag that was in the same ball park as the Glock 20 and/or 29.
I am with you on this ,

I love my G20, but would also love to have a XD10.

Now Cuda can drop the "bomb", I know he was waiting for it.

"There is never going to be a XD10 made by SA" right?

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
The question is. Is it really an improvement? Or is it just more blah ,blah, BS. As mentioned event he FBI thought it was over kill. How dead is dead.
Most police departments use Glocks. Does this mean the XD is useless? No. It works out for the department. At the time I think 10mm was an improvement and to my knowledge is good as a hunting round. I've been seriously considering getting a G20 because of the 10mm and its potential.

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
1. I thought the .3537 Sig was a necked down 40 S&W?

2. I dodn't know thr 9X25 was based off the 10MM.

Learn something new everyday. :cool: :D

I have a buddy who has a G20. They are very similar in size to my XD45 Service model. So if you can CC the XD45, then you could CC the G20.
While .357 Sig is the same length as a .40 S&W cartridge, you cannot make a .357s from a .40 cartridge--it'll be too short. However, you can make .357 sig brass by necking & trimming a 10mm cartridge.

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
In a full-house load, it was difficult for agents with small hands to handle in the S&W 1076's the Agency was issuing. Lethality had nothing to do with it.

So, I suppose if you have little girly hands, the 10mm is not for you. I suppose if recoil scares you, the 10mm is not for you.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Girlie hands and recoil-sensitivity aside ... in 1983 the 10mm was a HUGE step forward for semi-automatic pistols from a ballistics point of view. Previously, no semi-automatic pistol round had come close to what Cooper produced in the 10mm.

Today, the 10mm remains, arguably, the most potent of "common" semi-auto rounds on the market. It has spawned perhaps the most common round deployed in police departments across the U.S. - the .40 S&W (Short & Weak). :lol: Without the 10mm the face of the modern semi-automatic pistol would, perhaps, look very different.

It's difficult to ignore the 10mm's place in semi-auto history. No one is going to force you to buy a 10mm but it wouldn't hurt to afford it its place in handgun history.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
In a full-house load, it was difficult for agents with small hands to handle in the S&W 1076's the Agency was issuing. Lethality had nothing to do with it.

So, I suppose if you have little girly hands, the 10mm is not for you. I suppose if recoil scares you, the 10mm is not for you.
After working in construction for over 40 years my hands are anything but girly hands, and recoil doesn't scare me a bit. Especially after being in gun mounts on a Navy ships. I still know I don't need a 10mm to get the job done if need be. However if you need one so be it. Over and out...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So let me get this straight on the Glock 20, I can get conversion barrels for 40S&W, 357SIG and 9x25 dillon and if I really wanted get a slide and barrel from Lone Wolf for 45ACP :twisted::twisted:. 5 different calibers out of 1 gun sounds nice to me :twisted::twisted:.I also heard this round (10MM) can stop a bear, T or F ?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
You really need to look at specific ammunition. I have a 10mm and have found most ammo for it is loaded at about the same velocity/energy as their .40 ammo.:shock::shock::shock:

You will need something like CorBon (some of this is also .40 energy), Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, etc...to get a cartridge that allows for the 10mm full potential

·
Registered
261 Posts
My only issue with the 10mm is the firearm's chambered for it. I like the full power round (hard to find as most companies are loading it down), and I think if you are looking for an auto for protection from two legged, and big/hungry four legged predatory creatures it's hard to beat the 10 millie. Close to .41 Mag ballistics.

Where I reside in SW VA you can run into a lot of different scenarios for a carry pistol to handle, anything from urban jungle meth freaks, needing to put down large animals hit by a vehicle on country roads and even black bear encounters. This is the place for a 10.

I have owned a G-29 and never really fell in love with the platform; doesn't fit me well. I didn't add the mag extension and with the shortened grip follow up shots with +p 10mm loads were slow. The G-20 is just a huge hunk of gun, I prefer a shorter slide on a carry piece.

I like the 1911 platform, but I am a purist with my historic guns and it's a .45 caliber gun in my book, so the Delta Elite isn't what I want.

If Springfield would come out with an XD Service model with full grip frame and 4" bbl. I would jump all over it. That would get my nod for an out of town/backwoods concealed carry weapon while knocking around in the country.

Greyguns is doing a special run of Sig P220's in 10mm, I would love one, but an XD with a double stack mag would be my first choice.

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
So is the 10mm more powerful then a 45?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
By looking at straight energy figures, it can be, yes...considerably.

It can also be watered down to .40 S&W numbers...or can be anything in between.

As for use against bears...depends on the bear. But, the Danish Army troops that patrol the Greenland coastline carry G20's for polar bear defense (they also carry M1917 rifles in .30-06...). I haven't heard if they've ever had to use a Glock against one, but...

M'self, I'd rather have a .44mag if I was to have a handy handgun when walking in Mr. Bear's woods.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Heard that the 10mm is becoming popular with the wild hog hunters down south for the fire power potential. As a back-up or primary.

Question do the 40 cal bullets hold at increased velocities? The 357sig really needs a heavier jacket to handle the velocities it can attain.

Would the 357sig failed if Wal-mart would carry it? That seems to be the measure of a caliber anymore.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts