Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was to keep a Magazine ready by keeping it full, will this damage the Magazine spring, where the gun will not load?

SK

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Nope. Springs wear out from compression cycles, not from being under constant load. The interwebz taught me that. Your feed lips will bend before the spring is damaged.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Nope. Springs wear out from compression cycles, not from being under constant load. The interwebz taught me that. Your feed lips will bend before the spring is damaged.
That's exactly my understanding as well. I had a Gen 2 G21 for 18 years and I had exactly 2 magazine for it for all those years. I probably put about 5000 rounds total through it and when it wasn't in use, those mags were full loaded all the time, for 18 years. I think I went 3 years without shooting it at one point. Those magazines never had an issue after 18 years, like new.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
No, keeping them loaded will NOT wear out the spring tension like so many internet trolls will have you believe. It is the constand loading, unloading, loading, unloading that wears out any spring.
There are instances where WWII 1911's have been found untouched from the 1940's with the mag still loaded for 60 years & they still kept their tension and still fire & fire just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts