Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a CHL coming to me soon. Along with some holster window shopping, I've been considering, more than anything else, either a Glock or an XD. Now, my problem is that I'm sort of in a "rock/hard place"-ish situation in that both have their qualities, and I really don't want to just rely on getting both after a bit of time.

There's the Glock 19 (9mm) or 23 (.40) - they're Glocks, and personally, I like them. I've only handled a 23, but haven't fired it. I've kind of gotten fond of the Glock factory trigger feel (!), and I don't know if that's been duplicated in the XD.

I've thought about the 26 or 27 (or 33), but: all of them are smallish in the grip for me, I personally lean towards the non-sub variants, and the 26 seemed awfully snappy with just run-o'-the-mill WWB due to its size. I don't know if this is duplicated in the XD9.

And then I like the XD on an aesthetic basis, but honestly, the concerns over premature wear concern me; I don't know anything about reliability, as I haven't been lurking here for an awfully long time. I also like the 1911-esque grip safety, which is obviously missing from the other "plastic gun."

If you were ever in this position, what was the turning point for you? Any general words of wisdom? I realize I'm asking on an XD forum, but I know that quite a few of you have Glocks and consider them great sidearms, just as you do the XDs. :wink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
well, for the generic answer (and probably the accurate one).

They are both well made, reliable, accurate handguns. You should try to rent and shoot both and then buy the one that feels better in your hand. Either choice you make will be a good one as you really can't go wrong with either.

With regards to CHL, I would probably prefer to carry the XD because of the added safety features.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here are the deciding factors for me: XD- fully encloses case heads while Glock does not; XD has steel sights & trigger while Glock has plastic ones; Glock costs more than XD.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the XD-9 sub, which I choose over the Glock 26 mini gun based on feel. (The Glock felt squirmy in my hand, like it wanted to slide around. It reminded me of a J frame revolver with the small grips, like it would take a death grip to control it in rapid fire.) If I had been considering the 19 instead, I don't know that I would have chosen the XD since the 19 has a full size grip. I like the Glock trigger; my XD has some pretty nasty overtravel which takes some effort to compensate for. Both the G19 and XD have rails, but the Glock is full size so you have more to choose from in terms of lights. The XD has better sights and the grip safety, which I like, but mine is blued or parkerized or whatever and needs more care than the Glock finish. For CHL, all of them are pretty thick and bulky and take some effort to conceal. I sometimes think that I would have been happier with one of the steel framed Kahrs since they are less than an inch thick. Still, on the two occasions that I have been glad to have a gun recently, the XD had a nice comforting feel. As small as it is, it still feels like a full size pistol in your hand (with the Pierce extensions).

I do wish there was an XDmeister like Glockmeister where you could buy the full range of factory parts online. There are places here to buy some parts and accessories for the XD, but I think that there is much better support for the Glock due to its penetration of the LE market. Glocks are kind of like Chevy 350s, lots of places stock parts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hold both pistols in your hand. After that close your eyes and bring pistols up as if on a target.

That should be enough to convince you. If it doesn't, there is nothing I can say that will.

Best of Luck.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've owned a couple of Glocks, but I really like the XD better for the following reasons:

1.) Squeeze the bottom of the Glock grip/mag well. I can get the Glock to flex, but not the Springfield. Maybe that's by design, but it seems to me that the XD is stronger.

2.) While not a proponent of the grip safety, what can it hurt?

3.) The XD mag release is much easier to use in my opinion. Also, the XD magazines seem to drop out much more easily.

4.) I like the XD cocking indicator.

5.) I like the XD loaded chamber indicator.

6.) I like the XD take down lever better.

On the other hand, I'm probably one of the few people that likes the feel/grip of the Glock better. Also, I like the plain look of the Glock slide better. However, overall, I personally like the XD better.

·
Registered
200 Posts
there is no convincing. The proof is in the pudding.
there is no ultimatum when it comes to the XD or Glock.
XD-Hands Down. If not you would not be here and you would not be considering it.

Mas Tequila......Whew!*+*+*+**dam! no lime!!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Shooting both is a pleasure. However, if you want a pistol that won't rust very easily go with the Glock. Glocks aren't rust proof by any means, but they do much better than the XD in this.

·
Registered
401 Posts
To me, the finish is a non-issue.

Most of my guns are tools, and I don't really care if they look pretty or not. About the worst that can happen to an XD finish-wise is that it looks like hell. If it REALLY bothers you, it can be addressed by any number of aftermarket finishes.

Or you can just get a bi-tone.

My take on it is that I'd rather have a rusty XD than a new Glock. The XD has so many "right" things about it that it's hard to beat.

- Fully supported chamber
- Ambi mag release
- Great grip shape & angle
- Good trigger

There's more but these are the things I love most about the XD.

·
Registered
126 Posts
to me, the glock trigger sucks and the XDs is light years ahead. sure the glock has less overtravel, but the initial pull is a bitch. It is nice and smooth then it feels like you hit a wall, pull a lot harder and it fires. To me the XD has one nice smooth pull, probably because the firing pin is already set back, whereas you still have to pull the glock back with the last half of the trigger pull.

I like the xd better, i just dont like the grip safety for carry, kinda the opposite of most people.

Sometimes you cant get your hand entirely around the rear of the gun, in real close up engagements, and in those times its better to just be able to pull the trigger.

now as a house gun, im glad i have my tactical with my hydra-shoks.

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
I chose my XD based on how it pointed more naturally for me, comfort of the grip, and price. Both are good, I just felt better with the XD in my hand.

·
Registered
452 Posts
gsh341 said:
I chose my XD based on how it pointed more naturally for me, comfort of the grip, and price. Both are good, I just felt better with the XD in my hand.
Exact same deal for me, I held and shoot both brands but for me the XD fit my hand better and pointed much easier. As long as you take reasonable care of the pistol the XD finish isn't a big issue IMHO.

For me the XD line is king but I don't think you could go wrong either way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a Glock 26 and a Glock 36.
They were fine handguns and easy to shoot, but the grips never pointed well for me. If I closded my eyes and pointted the gun downrange, they always pointed high. Still, they were dependable, and I particularly liked the G36.

The XD 40 felt so good in my hand and pointed better (for ME), that I bought one. After shooting several hundred rounds through the XD, that was it. I sold both Glocks. I have since purchased a 'Fire Dragon' 9 mm barrel, so I really have 2 calibers in one gun.

Ron

·
Registered
26 Posts
I will sell you my G17.....I have had it for 2 months....I am getting rid of it. I can't shoot it worth a darn. It is flawless though. Not a single jam, but I can't shoot with it.

Both guns are good, but the xd just feels and shoots better 4 me.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I had never even heard of the XD when I was looking at glock sub compacts for ccw use. I shot the 9 & 45cal at a range and had problems with limpwristing, which had never occurred before. I also noted the slide release was very thin and difficult for me to work so the slide would release. Additionally, no ambi mag release (I'm lefty).

Someone on another site mentined something about an XD. I shot a full size at the range liked it. Bought the SC 9mm. No limp wristing, very accurate, very comfortable, stainless steel mags. Recommend it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
the extra safety in the grip did it for me. XD9. 15 round mag. affordable & abundant ammo. you can buy good self defense rounds that deliver plenty of stopping power. enough said. :wink:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with XD8324: If you close your eyes, see the target, and can bring the sights to bear with the weapon, it will be the gun for you. However the XD, in my opinion, is a sturdier platform and is great for instinctive shooting as well as "target" shooting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts