Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going gun shopping this weekend for a new CCW gun.

I have been considering a GLock 17, or an XD9. I know I want the 9mm for ammo cost reasons, but that is not why Im posting.

I currently have a Glock 19, and my wife carries the XD9 SC.

I like my Glock, but I also like the XD. She and I are switching to ONE format and ONE caliber.

SO if I get a Glock 17 she will take my 19. OR if I get the XD9 she will just keep what she has.

We decided the caliber we will stick with should be 9mm.

One of the things I like about Glocks is that the mags can be used for my NEXT purchase which is a Kel-Tec Sub2000 and I like the idea of my pistol mags fitting my carbine.

Can someone offer me some/any suggestions?

·
Registered
50 Posts
It really depends on what feels best in both your and your wifes hands. I chose the XD over Glock because of Glock's funky grip angle.

One other thing to consider is that the XD's (tactical, service and sub) can all share the same full size magazine (provided they are of the same caliber). I'm not sure if the Glock-en-Schooters can do this.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Agreed on the grip angle bit. I'm used to 1911s (and XDs, as they have the same 108-degree grip angle), and I always aim low on the transition with a Glock. I'd go with whichever feels better in your hand and lets you shoot better - because what's the point of having compatability with a carbine if you don't like shooting the pistol anyway? :)

Andy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dark_syde99 said:
It really depends on what feels best in both your and your wifes hands. I chose the XD over Glock because of Glock's funky grip angle.

One other thing to consider is that the XD's (tactical, service and sub) can all share the same full size magazine (provided they are of the same caliber). I'm not sure if the Glock-en-Schooters can do this.

Yeah... the smaller glocks can take mags from all the bigger Glocks... but the XDs have one advantage... the Tactical and Duty take the same mags.. where as the Glock 17 and 19 do not... the 19 can take the larger 17 mags but not vice versa.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Will you wife be OK with you taking away her XD and replacing it with a Glock? I'd be pretty upset if that happend to me!

On the carbine, how about a Beretta storm? Never done it, but I hear the Beretta mags will work in the XD with some modification.

·
Registered
237 Posts
just agreeing that it all depends on what feels more comfortable in your hand. I own a service framed pistol from both manufacturers and I feel more comfortable shooting an XD. My glock is my duty weapon at work, but I feel that once qualifications come around next year, my duty weapon will become an XD.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your decision. One thing to point out is that she may not be happy with the size of the G19. The G26 is similar in size to the sub XD. Depending upon how she carries, this could be an issue for her and concealment. Either way you will have a nice matching pair of defense guns.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just to chime in on about the glock 26. I was actually looking at these for my wife before we bought the XD. She had a hard time getting her hands around the grip and operating the mag release. At the advice of a friend, we tried the XD sub (I'd heard of them, just never gave them a chance).

The XD sub fit her hand so much better. We both also felt it was the safer weapon of the two.

She (we!) now have the XD9 subcompact. Be sure to make sure she can hold the BLOCK if you're still considering it!

-stunks

·
Registered
277 Posts
Bear_B , I carry a g17, instead of my XD-9 Tact..I love my XD so much that I rather not carry it too much. If for some reason I have to use it in self defence I don't want it confiscated. All my other pistols are too heavy to carry. Some how the angles on the XD and the glock are little difference to me. I also have big hands. So my hands choke the grips pretty good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a past Glock owner G17, G19, G27 all of which I have sold in the past year and replaced with a 9SC, Tactical, and standard XD9. Any weapon satisfaction depends on perception, felt recoil and ones ability to place rounds where you aimed them. Ergonomics play a key role for both you and your wife. I can only say I have converted a number of Glock owner to XD's after shooting my firearms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts