Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm glad I waited to send my XDs in for the recall. I dropped one of mine off at FedEx last Friday and just received notice that it is on its way back and will be here on the 1st! One week! I'll drop my other one off at FedEx tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
That is a short turnaround, but isn't it a trade off? You have been without your weapons all this time anyway, right? Unless, of course, you went ahead and carried them anyway. People who sent them in early did wait for awhile, but they have had theirs back for months now.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
That is a short turnaround, but isn't it a trade off? You have been without your weapons all this time anyway, right? Unless, of course, you went ahead and carried them anyway. People who sent them in early did wait for awhile, but they have had theirs back for months now.
Exactly.

Those who waited should not have gained a thing unless they foolishly carried their XDS despite all warnings.

The net result was the same, or worse.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I'd rather have the piece of mind knowing that the gun was fixed. The wait was worth it to me.

·
Registered
18,433 Posts
I still haven't sent mine in yet.
Mine isn't my primary EDC. But I still carry it once in a while.
I still take it to the range and still have had zero issues with it.

·
Premium Member
27,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read all the warnings which Springfield HAD to put out and it was my decision to not send them in until now! And, truth be told, I shot both of them regularly! They both performed flawlessly....just as they had been doing even before the recall....weird right?:shock:

I never got harrassed by the Safety Nazis or had the Recall Police write me a ticket! And no, I wasn't just lucky!!!

The point is, the XDs has been beat up and maligned ever since it came out. I know because I was lucky enough to get one when they first came out. I read the threads about misfeeds, light strikes, bad sights etc..

This recall was more about fixing a "possible" problem than an actual repeatable failure! If I had felt the gun was unreliable or dangerous, I would have been one of those guys who had to wait for months without their XDs!

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I read all the warnings which Springfield HAD to put out and it was my decision to not send them in until now! And, truth be told, I shot both of them regularly! They both performed flawlessly....just as they had been doing even before the recall....weird right?:shock:

I never got harrassed by the Safety Nazis or had the Recall Police write me a ticket! And no, I wasn't just lucky!!!

The point is, the XDs has been beat up and maligned ever since it came out. I know because I was lucky enough to get one when they first came out. I read the threads about misfeeds, light strikes, bad sights etc..

This recall was more about fixing a "possible" problem than an actual repeatable failure! If I had felt the gun was unreliable or dangerous, I would have been one of those guys who had to wait for months without their XDs!
Ok, so why now? I mean, you seemed cool with shooting them, and you said you didn't get lucky, so it wasn't because you thought your luck would run out. What caused you to send them in? Wait a minute, let me guess: you are fixing to sell them?

·
Premium Member
27,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so why now? I mean, you seemed cool with shooting them, and you said you didn't get lucky, so it wasn't because you thought your luck would run out. What caused you to send them in? Wait a minute, let me guess: you are fixing to sell them?

No, I always intended to send them in. I just wasn't FRANTIC about it like everyone else!

I knew, and I was right, that there was going to be looooong wait times because Springfield issued the recall even before they had a fix or parts!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
This recall was more about fixing a "possible" problem than an actual repeatable failure!
Wrong. The recall was to fix a well-documented problem where the gun could discharge without pulling the trigger, or could empty the magazine on a single trigger pull. It could have happened to any gun at any time, and there are plenty of YouTube videos showing the problem. Frankly, you were reckless and irresponsible to continue to use the gun after the safety recall was announced before sending it in. Thank God nothing bad happened as a result.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Exactly.

Those who waited should not have gained a thing unless they foolishly carried their XDS despite all warnings.

The net result was the same, or worse.
No, I always intended to send them in. I just wasn't FRANTIC about it like everyone else!

I knew, and I was right, that there was going to be looooong wait times because Springfield issued the recall even before they had a fix or parts!
So I took my non-recalled XDS to the range every week and desperately tried to get it to fail and it nearly destroyed me, but I was completely unsuccessful.

I read all the posts and tried to dump a mag and get the gun to do all the other evil things that were posted to no avail. These tests were done during the time no one else was present.

I too waited for the rush to get over. Not only did the gun get finished faster, it came back with a trigger that was not nearly as bad as some of the others that have been complained about. I have to admit that it went in with the best trigger I have ever felt on an XDS too but that is besides the point, but another reason I didn't want it to go in.

I sent it in not so much for me but for anyone else that may have to deal with the gun in the future ( do a lot of dangerous stuff and have a short expectancy :lol:) and I knew after reading all the how to posts that I could (and did) get the trigger back to where it was.

RetiredFCC;4525814, I was with you on holding off and glad that I did.

I still don't understand why Springfield didn't make it a full blown recall 3and kept it voluntary, if it was all that bad . Marketing, sales, lawyers and reputation I can only guess.

First range trip and 15 shots all into the black with many in the 10 ring at 25 yards on an NRA bullseye target ain't a bad thing either but that is just because my trigger is so good. 8)

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm glad I waited to send my XDs in for the recall. I dropped one of mine off at FedEx last Friday and just received notice that it is on its way back and will be here on the 1st! One week! I'll drop my other one off at FedEx tomorrow!

The hysteria on this forum about the recall has been funny to read.

Good for you waiting for the freak-out to subside before sending your XDS in for the recall.

Ignore the sky is falling haters.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
"These tests were done during the time no one else was present."

Your range must be much different than mine if no one was around. Just saying, I am semi-retired and pretty much go whenever I want and there is always someone shooting. That aside, did you carry the gun also? If so, you did put people at danger, and if not, you had a range gun during that time, big deal. I didn't buy the XDS 45 to be a range gun.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The hysteria on this forum about the recall has been funny to read.

Good for you waiting for the freak-out to subside before sending your XDS in for the recall.

Ignore the sky is falling haters.
Waiting to send it in until the initial rush is over is one thing. Continuing to use a gun with a known safety issue is another thing entirely. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: reckless and irresponsible.

·
Premium Member
27,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wrong. The recall was to fix a well-documented problem where the gun could discharge without pulling the trigger, or could empty the magazine on a single trigger pull. It could have happened to any gun at any time, and there are plenty of YouTube videos showing the problem. Frankly, you were reckless and irresponsible to continue to use the gun after the safety recall was announced before sending it in. Thank God nothing bad happened as a result.
Well damn, I guess I was just reckless and irresponsible.....:shock:

I tried and tried to get them to do something other than go bang but, the only thing they did was perform flawlessly! Sorry to disappoint but I don't believe everything I see on YouTube and if I felt the need to create a sensational video showing slam-fires, it would be easy enough to do!:roll:

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
And just because those who waited and continued to carry say they weren't putting people in danger doesn't make it true either. It's always, and I mean, no exceptions, better to err on the side of safety.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
And just because those who waited and continued to carry say they weren't putting people in danger doesn't make it true either. It's always, and I mean, no exceptions, better to err on the side of safety.
Nothing else...nothing else needs to be said.

If one cannot grasp this fact, they do not need to own firearms. Period. Anecdotal "exceptions" are just that. Meaningless.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Alert: anyone who has a series 70 1911 sell it now. You're irresponsible for carrying that thing around.

If you have an older revolver without a tranfer bar, put it down and run away... now... danger, danger danger Will Robinson.

Those not wearing panties don't have to worry.

Sheesh....

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
Alert: anyone who has a series 70 1911 sell it now. You're irresponsible for carrying that thing around.

If you have an older revolver without a tranfer bar, put it down and run away... now... danger, danger danger Will Robinson.

Those not wearing panties don't have to worry.

Sheesh....
We could keep comparing apples to apples.

Sheesh, indeed.

·
Premium Member
27,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nothing else...nothing else needs to be said.

If one cannot grasp this fact, they do not need to own firearms. Period. Anecdotal "exceptions" are just that. Meaningless.
So now that I've been lectured to by the safety police, my XDs were used at the range. Yes it's my carry gun but for over a year now I've been carrying my Sig P229 (not the XDs....oh no, the "putting people in danger" story gets harder to defend). So now we must jump to conclusions because that's what allows us to make claims and be important! I know it takes the fun out of being self righteous but PLEASE don't patronize me or make up things just to validate your comments! :roll:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts