Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of doing a "Grind-in" this summer.
I don't know if its a thing everywhere, but a local knife maker does "Grind-ins" every so often where people can grind an edge on a knife blank and put a handle on it.
Charges $390 for a decent knife and a weekend doing something new.

anyone ever do one of these? or something like it?

·
Administrator
17,647 Posts
Nope, but that would be a lot of fun. That would be a great event. I love my Bravo too!

·
Registered
20,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I finished up a bit after Noon the second/third/first day. Here are my thoughts on the experience:

Weird sort of thing. I never got the itinerary emailed from them I asked for a few times. When I called in Thursday they said it started Friday and 8am, but some people where already there. So I got the day off of work at the last minute. The whole thing was more than a bit chaotic. They were still running production Friday AM, so that was a waste. I could see how if you are wanting to get just the right handle material and blank, Friday morning could be useful. Honestly though, I could have done that Friday PM just as easily. The safety meeting was Saturday. It isn't that they don't care about safety there, but someone that works on a shop floor occasionally, I don't see how the same OSHA is inspecting this place as is my place of employment in the same state, less than an hour down the road. Maybe the OSHA inspector really likes custom knives more than municipal style equipment? Now don't get me wrong, I didn't abnormally fear for the life and well-being of my 12yo child that was with me, but it was not a mindset I was expecting. There were no injuries I was aware of, on par or worse than my wife got from pulling carpeting staple at the same time, to put things in perspective.

The process was basically pick out a blank/blanks. Pick out handle material. Prep or have prepped the handle material. glue up or have glued up the handle. Shape or have shaped the handle, then go down the line putting a finer and finer polish (This was the one with the massive amount of standing in line). Same thing with the edge. Then I handed it off to get the last bit of cleaning, let them lazer-etch it and get a sheath for it.

To recap; basically you can get the professionals to make you a custom knife, and you can do a bit of it yourself. You could probably do it all yourself, if you've watched carefully a few times and asked questions. There are no big classrooms teaching you blade grinding technique, as an example. You hand your knife off to a guy that sharpens blades for a living and watch over his shoulder. They don't care about size, when it comes to price, but they care an awful lot about handle material and pins. I told my daughter she gets 1 knife with no up-charges from my pocket. Anything beyond that, she would pay for herself.
I tried to get the basic materials for handles and pins turns out I ended up with a small up-charge for the corby(sp?) fasteners our blanks used instead of the basic pins, $25 across the 3 knives.
so we ended up with 2 giant knives I would put in the "zombie slayer" category. I got 1 more that might be somewhat useful in an EDC capacity. I think the models were the "Tracker" and the "Essential 2". I just tried to grab a couple that fit my meaty hands.

Next times, I intend to not show up so early and be more hands-on, and do drastically more custom work. I took my eldest this time, so, chances are, I've got 3 more trips in my future. I could also easily see OSHA/Insurance pressure shutting this down before I get all my kids through it. Although it has been going on for several years now (well more than a decade I believe). I might have to switch over to kitchen knives, just to not end up with a massive collection I wouldn't care too much about. They also cut you a deal if you bring your own blanks and handle material for 2 and later knives. I found some of the exact same blanks for sale on-line by the second website I clicked on, and can source local "exotic" woods for handles pretty easily.

Really, this is more of a knife collector centric thing, and less of a builder oriented event. I am a builder by mind-set, so not the ideal even for me. Like I said though, I brought 1 kid and it wasn't a disaster, so I'll be stuck bringing the others as well.

Were I childless, I'd probably just spend that money on the tools to do it myself, maybe 1 more time either completely of drastically more hands-on.

Its supposed to be finishing up today, but I got done with it early yesterday. I'll get some photos up of the final products later. The price sheet too.

·
Registered
20,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
My daughter absolutely loves her knife. The creaking leather of the sheath on her belt, was pretty constant Sunday. Here are a couple more in process of the larger one (I let my daughter run the smaller one through the lines), the finished products, and the price sheet.
Font Parallel Paper Paper product Document
price sheet
Wood Table Kitchen utensil Knife Tool
handle done here and starting the blade edge work.
Footwear Wood Beige Knife Human leg
I believe this was after the shaping, but before any polishing of the handle.
Purple Sunglasses Pink Bag Eyewear
final results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts