Springfield XD Forum banner

401 - 420 of 422 Posts

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #402 ·
I’m trying to figure out the best way to prevent burns from the can during transitions to secondary. Here’s what I’m thinking.

The cloud defensive OWL is a bit bigger and heavier than I’m comfortable with on a SBR. If I get rid of the OWL and get a Surefire (or other), I can find a mount that extends out a bit past the hand guard (left side) and block the suppressor from making contact with my leg.
Anyone else try this or see anyone else do it?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I’m trying to figure out the best way to prevent burns from the can during transitions to secondary. Here’s what I’m thinking.

The cloud defensive OWL is a bit bigger and heavier than I’m comfortable with on a SBR. If I get rid of the OWL and get a Surefire (or other), I can find a mount that extends out a bit past the hand guard (left side) and block the suppressor from making contact with my leg.
Anyone else try this or see anyone else do it?
That could work, although it’s for a pretty specific circumstance. What about a suppressor wrap? I know some manufacturers don’t recommend them, at least for certain cans, so I don’t know if this would work in your case. I think it depends on the construction material. Like I know Gemtech says not to use a wrap on one of their light-duty rifle cans as it’s made from aluminum and needs open air to dissipate the heat to prevent damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 ·
Burnproof Gear supposedly has great material that won’t catch fire. But I’m not sold on paying $200 for a wrap. Not yet at least. Since I’m feeling like the OWL is too big/heavy, it got me to rethinking the light layout.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 ·
I swapped out the OWL light for their REIN micro.
Seems like a much better fit for an SBR. I used a Haley offset thorntail mount for the switch. Real estate is scarce, and the switch is long due to the hardware being on the ends of the switch.

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Interesting debates on P&S and T&A and the Modlite groups on what head to use in what situations. In the end, A LOT of what each individual end-user said made sense, when they justify it against their personal preferences and how they read the scenarios they encounter.

TL/DR - user preference. :)

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #407 ·
Interesting debates on P&S and T&A and the Modlite groups on what head to use in what situations. In the end, A LOT of what each individual end-user said made sense, when they justify it against their personal preferences and how they read the scenarios they encounter.

TL/DR - user preference. :)
My main consideration was size and real estate when mounted. The OWL is an awesome light. But the giant switch pad that can’t be configured differently and the huge light were negatives to me. May be a better option for a longer rifle. The micro lights up the back yard very well. Had to bump up the brightness of the optic because the light was washing it out.

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Yeah, the OWL's switchgear is both a plus and a minus: definitely, for guns without sufficient rail-estate it's an issue....that, and just how much the thing weighs when compared to its competitors.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #409 ·
I ordered a few of the 20 round lancer mags for backpack carry. Very well made. Super smooth during reloads. Haven’t had a chance to run them yet. But they seem to be very well made.

Officially 3 months in to my wait for the TurboK to get out of jail.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #415 ·
I just wanted to point out @Gigantore 's subtle flex....his budget for RailScales exceeds the cost of a lot of full builds. :ROFLMAO: (y):cool:
Hahaha. I forget they are there these days. But someone that’s never seen it before always mentions the Railscales budget. Building the perfect rifle isn’t for scared pockets. Better to just accept it and keep on.

·
Super Moderator
16,817 Posts
How many rounds do you have through that now?

I know Sig has a lot of irons in the fire... But the MPX had so much promise... All these years and still just 9mm.

MCX is same short stroke piston... It's such a great platform... I'd love a 45 or 6.8. If I ever did get another 5.56 it would be a MCX... They are such a breeze to clean.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #417 ·
How many rounds do you have through that now?

I know Sig has a lot of irons in the fire... But the MPX had so much promise... All these years and still just 9mm.

MCX is same short stroke piston... It's such a great platform... I'd love a 45 or 6.8. If I ever did get another 5.56 it would be a MCX... They are such a breeze to clean.
I’m at about 3400-3500 rounds. And no hiccups so far.
The MPX is awesome. I was very close to picking one up. Ultimately the B&T won the spot.

·
Super Moderator
16,817 Posts
I’m at about 3400-3500 rounds. And no hiccups so far.
The MPX is awesome. I was very close to picking one up. Ultimately the B&T won the spot.
Dude... I looked at those too. Nice package....you know what I mean...

·
Super Moderator
16,817 Posts
Ya, I was looking at models again... There is the MPX-SD integral suppressed... Sexy. But ya... Those neutral guys sure make good guns... Watches too...

Reactions: Gigantore
401 - 420 of 422 Posts