Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a wilson combat full length guide rod for my GI Expert but I can't find one that comes with a blued recoil spring plug only the stainless one. I can buy them seperatly and get a black recoil spring plug but was wondering if anyone on here has the stainless plugged installed. I would like to see a picture to see what the stainless one looked like on the black pistol. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I'm looking to get a wilson combat full length guide rod for my GI Expert but I can't find one that comes with a blued recoil spring plug only the stainless one. I can buy them seperatly and get a black recoil spring plug but was wondering if anyone on here has the stainless plugged installed. I would like to see a picture to see what the stainless one looked like on the black pistol. Any help would be appreciated.
Out of curiosity, why do you want the FLGR? I hate them. It wasn't designed with a FLGR. FLGRs stink.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well for a couple of reasons one being that I like the look of the full length, I'm changing the recoil spring and the full length adds spring life and for a little extra weight for recoil

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
That's partly why I like them so much.
Different girl every day if ya want.
Just dress her up differently. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I will just spray it black or grey for you with Cerakote and bake the color on.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Been thinking about Cerakote.
How's it work for you?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
CeraKote or Moly Resin is absolotely fantastic stuff and pretty easy to work with. I prefer Moly Resin for many, many reasons over Cera, but the 2 biggest things I don't like about Cerakote:

You have to mix color with a hardener in very small amounts, 24:1. It will harden in 2 hours in your jar, so you may be in a hurry, and it is more difficult to clean the airbrush.

When complete, the texture is a little sandpapery rough. It can be fixed and smoothed out, but that takes time

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks dirty rod for the pictures. Nice pistols I have to say I'm jealous of the Les Baer hoping that one of those will be my next tax return pistols. Also thanks for the info on the Cerakote think I'll try it

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Yup, this weekend I'm taking my full length rod (thank you 1lowlife) and my regular one. See if I can find any difference in accuracy.
So far the only reason I've found for having it is to extend your recoil spring life.
I don't think it'll make that much difference.
As for more difficult to take down, reassemble.
A little.
I like the color contrasts.

·
Registered
17,690 Posts
interrogative:what does a full length guide rod do over the short stubby one that comes on a "stock" GI model?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a few 1911's of various flavors, I have tried full length rods here and there over time. I have always gone back to the standard GI length. Just never found an advantage to the FLGR.

Some people like them some people do not to each there own.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
yup.. the internet. Great for ideas.

Not sure which are accurate ones sometimes.

FLGR "could" help with:

spring life due to not kinking as much, so "they" say.

or

smoother action to increase accuracy, so "they" say.

or

like dude, it's looks cool. :cool:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Spring life? Rubbing? The spring is rubbing on something, be it the frame or the guide rod. You had better be changing that spring because of the number of compressions, which will weaken it long before rubbing will.

I used to think they were cool too. I have a drawer full of them. Every one of my 1911s had the FLRG removed after my brief flirtation with them back in the eighties. Every new 1911 I get the FLRG is the second thing to get changed. I have never seen a spring in any of them with the short guide show any sign of spring wear from rubbing. I have had to change springs only because of high round counts.

And if that extra weight out front matters, then you must be shooting high master?

CX

1 - 16 of 16 Posts