Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading around, and was trying to get information on 10mm guns, and I came accross a discution about 10mm v.s. super45. and it got me wondering if the SA GI 1911 was able to shoot super 45?

I know there is higher preasurs involved, and if it is something I was going to do I should probably get a higher rated recoil spring...is this something I should avoid doing all together?

also, this being my first .45 what grain should I have as my self defence round?

Before this I carried an XD40SC and I allways carried 180gr (on the higher end of 40 ammo) should I do the same with 45 and carry 230? or is the rule, Its a 45...who cares how heavy it is, its still a 45...

·
Registered
185 Posts
my personnal preference for a self defense round in my .45 is speer gold dot 230 grain jhp. some leo friends of mine turned me on to them, if you hit something with these rounds it wont get up....

NRA LIFE MEMBER
NAHC LIFE MEMBER

WE CAN ONLY BE WHAT WE GIVE OURSELVES THE POWER TO BE...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm gonna have to research that cartridge. I was looking into the 400 Corbon before, which sounded kinda neat...
Weazel

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I'd shoot whatever load hit closer to point of aim in your gun. 230 gr loads shoot closer to POA than 185 gr loads in my personal GI, but I have aftermarket sights. I'd take a hard look at Hornady TAP, Speer Gold Dot and Winchester Ranger/Federal HST if you can get ahold of either.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the 45 Super. I did take a look at the 50 GI at the last NRA annual meetings, but it basically requires a full-custom 1911 built from the ground up.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Saw this thread title and thought of eating out in South America. where your .45 goes on the table under your fine linen napkin.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Saw this thread title and thought of eating out in South America. where your .45 goes on the table under your fine linen napkin.
lol..my bad.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
.... it got me wondering if the SA GI 1911 was able to shoot super 45?

I know there is higher preasurs involved, and if it is something I was going to do I should probably get a higher rated recoil spring...is this something I should avoid doing all together?

also, this being my first .45 what grain should I have as my self defence round?.
To use .45 Super you would need a different barrel and (I think) a different firing pin. I doubt that you can just drop the barrel without some proper fitting. Might need a different bushing too. I think only one company makes ammo - I'm not sure if they sell the brass separately. The brass is thicker than .45acp..............I think it's modified from a ..41 Magnum.

Seems like an expensive project. Almost forgot, yeah, you would need a different recoil spring, but that's the least of it.

If this is your first .45, and you think you need more power, maybe you need to live in a safer neighborhood? :D

As for self defense rounds, I shoot .230 grain ball at the range and I have 185 grain hollow points for SD. But nothing wrong with any of them, including fmj .230 - makes a big hole. no matter what size slug you use.

If you really feel that the .45 isn't up to your needs, there's always .45 +P which I'm pretty sure any modern 1911 can handle (at least in limited amounts).

The Coborn 400 is a necked down .45 (sort of like a .357 Sig) so it too needs a new barrel.

Peace,
D.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
To use .45 Super you would need a different barrel and (I think) a different firing pin. I doubt that you can just drop the barrel without some proper fitting. Might need a different bushing too. I think only one company makes ammo - I'm not sure if they sell the brass separately. The brass is thicker than .45acp..............I think it's modified from a ..41 Magnum.

Seems like an expensive project. Almost forgot, yeah, you would need a different recoil spring, but that's the least of it.

If this is your first .45, and you think you need more power, maybe you need to live in a safer neighborhood? :D

As for self defense rounds, I shoot .230 grain ball at the range and I have 185 grain hollow points for SD. But nothing wrong with any of them, including fmj .230 - makes a big hole. no matter what size slug you use.

If you really feel that the .45 isn't up to your needs, there's always .45 +P which I'm pretty sure any modern 1911 can handle (at least in limited amounts).

The Coborn 400 is a necked down .45 (sort of like a .357 Sig) so it too needs a new barrel.

Peace,
D.
I agree D ... It would be an expensive, and very specialized gun with a limited ammo supply ... A reloader might like it though.

Modificationvt,
It would be fun, but I'd recomend that you get a .45 first ... If you really want more than what a .45 can provide, look at a 10mm. But it's also a little bit special in that ammo choices are limited and more expensive.

Also, consider this quote, and your ability to control the round.
Performance
This 10 mm Auto cartridge is unique in that it runs nearly twice the working pressure of a standard pistol cartridge, allowing it to develop true "magnum" velocities, while still being fired in a .45 ACP size handgun. Original loading was a 200 grain (13 g) bullet at 1200 ft/s (366 m/s), developing 635 ft�lbf (861 J) of kinetic energy at the muzzle. Later loads exceeded 700 ft�lbf (950 J). This is nearly twice the energy of a .45 ACP.

However the 10 mm Auto cartridge turned out to be too powerful to be used by most people, even the FBI which adopted it. Thus the FBI started using lowered charge versions which have a level of performance similar to the .40 S&W cartridge. Another drawback of the 10 mm Auto is the too high "One Shot Kill" level with expanding bullets, a level of performance which far exceeded its design goal of "One Shot Stop".
Source
Defensively, and needing to shoot more than once ... I'd rather have my 9mm than my 10mm.

With that said ... I'd seriously consider staying with a normal .45 and saving the more exotic stuff for a later date and time ... They say everyone should own a .45, but what do I know, I don't own one ... I'd want a 1911, and IMO they are to expensive when I consider what I would want.

Concerning bullet weight,
Everything is a compromise, but the name brand stuff all performs very well IMO ... I'd say decide which gun, do some Internet research and test what you decide to use ... A few boxes to find out what works well in your gun, is cheap insurance compared to a life.

Keep us updated on your decision !!

·
Registered
536 Posts
SA makes a gun for 45 Super. It's called the Longslide and is 6 inches long and ported; also caleed a V16. It comes w/2 recoil springs.
Ammunition requires an identical dimensioned case but w/a thicker web and is sold by Starline.
You can shoot "warm" loads and Super loads w/the same recoil spring. Put the lighter spring in for standard ball loads.
I load w/a recipe from Shotgun News from an article about the Super during an interview w/Ace ______, the developer of the Super cartridge!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since I have a .45 Super and have shot it let tell you want it takes. My friend and I each bought a Charles Daley FS .45 to convert. Because it is a all steel frame .45. We replaced the recoil spring and the firing pin spring with Wolf springs, they sell a package just for this conversion. Since ammo is not easy to come by, he reloaded several boxes for us. After 2 boxes, he sold his and I took mine back to regular .45. This thing is way to much gun for me, of course I am OLD, and it hurt my hands to shoot it. This thing would make a .44 mag duck for cover. The reloads were with Starline .45 super brass and Hornardy bullets. Of course that is just me, your milage may vary.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the information, I am now contemplating building a 1911 around shooting super 45, just because I have been thinking about getting myself a hand cannon to play with at the range...and it seems like a super 45 would fit the bill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts