Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10 rounds at 12 yards. Pulled two low (I think the lowest may actually be from a previous group though) and two a bit high. I'm getting this fixed sights thing figured out though.

XD45 5" Tactical

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
That's not bad. You are probably breaking your wrist down anticipating recoil.

You should be starting in closer 3 to 7 yards.

Also dry fire practice with snap caps to get you used to the trigger pull and where it breaks.

Do this over and over and over. It develops muscle memory and will help with the flinching in live fire.

Most people don't realize they flinch when a mini explosion goes off in your hand. It's your natural response.

I still catch myself doing it from time to time especially after I've shot more than 100 rounds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good grouping!

It looks like you are using a standard 6 o'clock target shooting hold. Both of my XDs have been dead on using a "combat hold" sighting picture, obscuring the intended point-of-impact with the front sight, while still aligning the front and rear sights.

Jon

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
With that group, your only point should be smoothing out the trigger action and minimizing any tendency to yank the trigger too quickly. (can also be a slight flinch giving the low shots). Have your spouse or shooting buddy mix in 0-3 snap caps randomly in each mag before you go. Then film yourself shooting to see how you react to a non-fire. Most people (me too!) will exhibit a bit of a recoil anticipation AKA flinch.

It will also give you excellent practice using the snap caps doing the "Rack & Roll". It's where your gun didn't fire but there is no jamb, you just "Rack & Roll" (manually Rack the slide fully back, let go and Roll on). Point of concentration is to keep the loud end pointed exactly on target the whole time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.