Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did alot of research on this one!!.45 super brass was a hard find..Got the springs for the xd 5inch.The reall kicker is the reloading data;seems there is some sort of clandestine situation.Most data is a "high end" .45acp loading. But alas after alot of snooping found significant data..Even reccomended firearms for use in.Captive chambring is a must,Should have the stuff together shortly,then let the games begin!!I just hope the xd don't throw the brass to the moon. (kinda expensive).Anybody giving this a try should chime in positive or negative,as critisism always an asset!!!Thanks guys!!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Because of the significantly smaller internal volume of the 45Super case, due to the heavier web and thicker lower sidewall area while holding the same external dimensions, the same weight of powder charge as used to a standard 45 can have quite different initial pressure and velocity results. So do not assume the result will not be greater for a 45super load listed that is nearly the identical powder charge as a 45+P formula. Similarly, AOL of loaded rounds should be held to tighter tolerances. Older powders really needed barrels longer than 5" to take advantaage of the higher developed pressure. Some newer powder burn curves allow faster powders without spiking the pressure excessively. Also, since powder formulas and performance change over time, use of old loading data can have unexpected results. Always work up the loads while checking for excess pressure signs. A change of primers from any listed reload data can have several percent total pressure results. Internet formulas by 'I use this' home loaders should not be considered reliable. Recoil springs should be considered both for the final compressed weight and the initial in battery compression weight. A couple nanoseconds longer in battery can allow time for the bore pressure to drop considerably and reduce the slide velocity, lowering the total compressed recoil spring weight required. Assuming you are using 45super to wring out every extra bit of velocity, the extended aftermarket barrels can still have beneficial results. 6.1 inch barrels are available for the XD model. Solid, ported or threaded. Over about 5.7" may need to be ordered manufacturer direct.

Because of the copyright on the 45Super name, other similar high velocity 45 cartridges and load data may be found as 45Express.

The most often quoted of supposedly reliable 45Super references are:

Real Guns

Real Guns

Also an interesting article in American Handgunner archives: "Heavy Bullets and the Springfield XD45". Not 45Super but of interest related to pistol strength.
And a Google search of the XDTalk forum should turn up some 45Super discussion from at least as far back as 2006.

Edit: Because of the recoil spring limitation with my XD45Service, I am limited to playing in the 45Super power range, but for an XD45Tactical, I would definately consider the jump to 460Rowland for serious hunting. 460Rowland kits have used both Bar-sto and Storm Lake barrels (among other possibilities I haven't read about). 6" barrels are needed here to get the benefits of the round.
ABOUT:
.45 ACP 21,000 cup
.45 ACP +P 23,000 cup
.45 Super 28,500 cup
.460 Rowland 40,000 cup

Done, someone else's turn.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again Thumper;You are exactly right about the pressure curves not correlating to regular .45 acp brass.the web in the bottom of the case will diminish case volume.I am well aware of the "compressed load" situation.Upon research also just changing recoil spring isn't sufficient;must also change striker spring to make sure that it has rebounded prior to the new round going into battery.I'll let y'all know when this all comes to pass.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ll jump in with some info but, first all disclaimers apply. This worked for me what you do with the info is completely up to you.

I bought some 45 super brass (waited months on back order for it) and some Remington Golden Saber 185 gr. Hollow points. I read somewhere that a small commercial ammo manufacture tested a bunch of bullets and the Remington’s held together the best.

I also bought an Don’s guide rod because you can use 1911 springs with it. Because of the assortment of spring weights available for the 1911 I went this way. I bought a 24 lbs spring from Wolf loaded up some loads using Pistol Powder and went to the range.

First of all, the gun feed and functioned as it always has, without a hitch. With my loads it really recoiled a lot more then any .45acp round I’ve ever fired. Not bad at all just much stronger recoil sensation in my hands. It shot to the same point of aim as it always has and was just as accurate as it is with .45acp loads.

With this set up I now have two guns in one. All I do is change recoil rods and springs and I can either shoot .45acp or loads that give me low .44mag energies.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Did alot of research on this one!!.45 super brass was a hard find..Got the springs for the xd 5inch.The reall kicker is the reloading data;seems there is some sort of clandestine situation.Most data is a "high end" .45acp loading. But alas after alot of snooping found significant data..Even reccomended firearms for use in.Captive chambring is a must,Should have the stuff together shortly,then let the games begin!!I just hope the xd don't throw the brass to the moon. (kinda expensive).Anybody giving this a try should chime in positive or negative,as critisism always an asset!!!Thanks guys!!!:cool:
What is a "captive chamber"?

don

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Beef : That's kinda the thinking I am shooting for. Also in response to dglock; a captive chamber or another terminology fully" supported chamber"; is when upon firing of the cartridge the whole casing is supported and not allowed to expand beyond nominal chamber size.An example of a not fully supported chamber is a glock.I think upon close observation you will see what happens upon firing of the glock.The casing will be swelled beyond the brasses recoverable elasticity.I know right away when reloading such brass and actually sort them out and don't reload them.My cousin is the county sheriff and picks up all the range brass for me!!I wish somebody used .45 super ammo!!!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Beef : That's kinda the thinking I am shooting for. Also in response to dglock; a captive chamber or another terminology fully" supported chamber"; is when upon firing of the cartridge the whole casing is supported and not allowed to expand beyond nominal chamber size.An example of a not fully supported chamber is a glock.I think upon close observation you will see what happens upon firing of the glock.The casing will be swelled beyond the brasses recoverable elasticity.I know right away when reloading such brass and actually sort them out and don't reload them.My cousin is the county sheriff and picks up all the range brass for me!!I wish somebody used .45 super ammo!!!
I have never heard that term used to denote a fully supported chamber!

The glock myth is just that, unless the ammo is over loaded none of my glocks swell the cases any more then my xds or xd(m)s. I have been reloading for both rifle and pistol since 1965.

don

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I have seen many types of factory ammo cases with "glock bulges" from many a friends glocks, it's not a myth.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
get a caliper and check it out.I thnk you will find the measurement right above the web area will tell the tail.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts