Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what are you guys using to get the lead fouling out of your barrels? I used to hate cleaning after lead so I switched to plated and jacketed for my 40 S&W's. But at about half the price I switched back to lead, but back to hating the scrubbing. What works good and is not too expensive??

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
finish up your range time (lead) with a few mags of copper. It helps get most of the lead fouling out.

For cleaning i use weapon shield on a cotton patch wrapped around a copper brush. Also just the patch and just the brush. That works real well.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
finish up your range time (lead) with a few mags of copper. It helps get most of the lead fouling out.

For cleaning i use weapon shield on a cotton patch wrapped around a copper brush. Also just the patch and just the brush. That works real well.
This actually works more or less, but can seriously raise pressures when firing jacketed over a badly leaded bore. Some say all you do is "iron" the lead into the rifling. I prefer ChoireBoy copper pads. Just wrap some around an old bore brush & scrub a few times. You can also use lead Wipe away cloths, sold by Outers & BC. Cut into strips & run thru the bore 4-5X, leads gone.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I never had too much luck getting the lead out to my satisfaction until I bought a Foul-Out. I know that is not what you want to hear but I believe that hard scrubbing a barrel wears it more than shooting lead does. Haven't used a brush in years. MY XD9 hates lead! I've never seen a barrel lead up so bad and I decided I will not shoot lead in it again. Stick to jacketed.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
+1 for Copper Chore Boy pads. I bought some at Ace Hardware and they work like a charm. I cut off a square of it and wrap it around a patch and scrub a few times and the barrel is clean. It doesn't hurt to pre-soak the barrel in hoppes for about 10 minutes previous.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
+1 for Copper Chore Boy pads. I bought some at Ace Hardware and they work like a charm. I cut off a square of it and wrap it around a patch and scrub a few times and the barrel is clean. It doesn't hurt to pre-soak the barrel in hoppes for about 10 minutes previous.
The copper also will not harm or scratch the bbl.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually I have been doing that and it does work pretty well, just going to run out of jacketed fairly soon.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips on the Chore Boys! I'll definately try that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts