Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of thinking thru situations BEFORE I get my CCW I had a question that I cannot find the answer to and hope you can help.

I live in Colorado. I do NOT have my CCW yet (Will submit paperwork Tuesday). I am planning to go to the range... may or may not make it there, have my handgun locked in a case and locked in the trunk.... and my wife calls me and asks that I pick up my kids at school.... am I allowed to go to the school to pick them up or do I need to go home first and drop the handgun off? Mind you in this case it is unloaded, locked in a case and locked in the trunk.

I have found the answer to this question once I have my CCW but no answer for the current time when I don't have my CCW

Thanks in advance

5280XD

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Indiana law specifically states that you can have it on school property as long as you are in a car attempting to pick someone up, that you do not go into the building, and that you leave after the pickup.

Something like that anyways.

Check your laws, they may be similiar.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Indiana law specifically states that you can have it on school property as long as you are in a car attempting to pick someone up, that you do not go into the building, and that you leave after the pickup.

Something like that anyways.

Check your laws, they may be similiar.
Same in Texas, for all intents and purposes.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Michigan allows it on school property for picking up as long as you do not exit the car with it. What I do (My daughter is 5) is park on the sidestreet next to the elementary school and walk in (leaving the gun in the car, naturally). That way the piece is never actually on school property so I can avoid any "gray area of the law" arguments about whether I can exit the car if I leave the gun in it.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
I was just in CO recently at a school and confirmed that if it is locked in the vehicle, it's fine. Granted, I have my CFP, but I don't think it's a problem as long as it's locked in it's case. You might cover it up with a jacket or something though.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
when you drop off the paper work ask them if its ok. and allways double or triple check ANY info you get of the internet

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
when you drop off the paper work ask them if its ok. and allways double or triple check ANY info you get of the internet
State laws can be found and read on the internet as well. The state website should have a copy somewhere.

You'd be surprised at the number of people who should know the law, but don't.

I was talking to a fellow Texan who is a cop about selling a gun to him, and he thought it was illegal for me to mail it to him at his house. ( It is not. )

·
Registered
855 Posts
In Ohio a gun cannot leave the vehicle on school grounds. Whether you have a concealed carry permit or not, the gun is not allowed outside the vehicle at any time.

Good idea on thinking thru these things before you get your permit, 5280XD. I did that before I got my permit, and I still think about them since carrying is still new to me. :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
The only time I go into any of the schools I open carry, I've done this to every school up here in Ft Collins. Of course I'm the armored car guy who picks up their money, so I wouldn't recommend this practice for you. I have no idea what the actual answer for your question is but I'd imagine you could find it under the criminal code section of the Colorado revised statutes, I think it's section 18. I'll try to find it later if I have some time.

Nate

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
In Michigan if you have a Concealed Pistol Permit, you may carry your weapon loaded on you when picking up or dropping off a child, however you may NOT leave your vehicle. BTW, in Michigan, even the cops can't carry concealed on School Property, they have to be in uniform and use Open Carry. After reading that, I couldn't help but wonder if the Plains Clothes Cops attending their kids football games actually go in uniform or break the law knowing they won't get tagged for it.

Now, if you do NOT have a Concealed Pistol License, as I read the Michigan Law, you may NOT have a firearm within 1000 Feet of a school in any manner of condition, doesn't matter if it's locked up and unloaded, it's forbidden. Which is one reason why I got my CPL, Michigan law concerning transport of firearms is a real quagmire of conflicting regulations. As I understood it reading one section, just stopping for gas on the way to the range had the potential of being a violation because your not allowed to leave your vehicle unless it's at your destination, and that destination must be on the "approved usaage" list for non CPL firearms transport.

My advice would be to leave your gun at the house when picking up or dropping off the kids until you get a CPL. BTW, I believe that the right to carry with a CPL when dropping off, or picking up, is a Federal Exception, which means that it's probably also legal in Colorado but you will want to confirm that for yourself.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
If you have your CCW you can have the gun on you as long as while you are on school property the gun does not leave the car. If you leave the vehicle it needs to be in a locked compartment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the feedback. It seems like everyone sees the same thing... the law is clear if you have a CCW but not so clear if you don't. I'll keep digging.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Best thing to do is get the actual law

Douglas County Sheriff, Colorado | Concealed Weapons Applications Process

CARRY RESTRICTIONS​
A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in
all areas of the state except as specifically limited as follows:
1. a person may not carry a concealed handgun into a place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law,
2. a person may not carry a concealed handgun on to the real property, or into any improvements erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high or high school,
3. a person may not carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place,
4. a person may not carry a concealed handgun where a private property owner, private tenant, private employer or private business entity disallow.​

but..

18-12-105.5 Unlawfully Carrying A Concealed Weapon - Unlawful Possession Of Weapons - School,
College, Or University Grounds​
1. A person commits a class 2 misdemeanor if such person knowingly and unlawfully and without legal
authority carries, brings, or has in such person’s possession a deadly weapon as defined in section 18-1-
901(3)(e) in or on the real estate and all improvements erected thereon of any public or private elementary,
middle, junior high, or high school or any public or private college, university, or seminary, except for the
purpose of presenting an authorized public demonstration or exhibition pursuant to instruction in conjunction
with an organized school or class, for the purpose of carrying out the necessary duties and functions of an
employee of an educational institution which require the use of a deadly weapon, or for the purpose of
participation in an authorized extracurricular activity or on an athletic team.
2. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 18-1-106, upon a conviction for a violation of this section either
within or upon the grounds of any public or private elementary, middle, junior high, or high school or
vocational school, the defendant shall be a special offender and the court, if it determines that incarceration is
appropriate, shall be required to sentence the defendant to a term that is greater than the twelve-month
maximum sentence specified for the class 2 misdemeanor but not more than twice the twelve-month maximum
term specified for the class 2 misdemeanor. In addition to such term of imprisonment, the court shall fine the
defendant without suspension at least the maximum fine of one thousand dollars specified for the class 2
misdemeanor but not more than ten times the one thousand dollar maximum fine specified for the class 2​
misdemeanor.
3. It shall not be an offense under this section if.
a) The weapon is unloaded and remains inside a motor vehicle while upon the real estate of any public or
private college, university, or seminary; or
b) The person is in that person’s own dwelling or place of business or on property owned or under that
person’s control at the time of the act of carrying; or
c) The person is in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance and is carrying a weapon for
lawful protection of that person’s or another’s person or property while traveling; or
d) The person, at the time to carrying a concealed weapon, held a valid written permit to carry a concealed
weapon issued pursuant to section 18-12-105.1 as said section existed prior to its repeal; except that it shall be
an offense under this section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of
Section 18-12-214 (3); or
(d.5) The weapon involved was a handgun and the person held a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun or a
temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to Part 2 of this article; except that it shall be an offense under this
section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of Section 18-12-214 (3);
or
e) The person is a peace officer, level I or level Ia, as defined in section 18-1-901(3)(1)(I) or (3)(1)(II)(A); or​
16​
f) The person is a peace officer, level II, as defined in section 18-1-901(3)(1)(III), while on duty; or
g) The person is a peace officer, level IIIa, as defined in section 18-1-901(3)(1)(IV.5), while on duty and
under supervision; or
h) The person has possession of the weapon for use in an educational program approved by a school which​
program includes, but shall not be limited to, any course designed for the repair or maintenance of weapons.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Best thing to do is get the actual law

Douglas County Sheriff, Colorado | Concealed Weapons Applications Process

CARRY RESTRICTIONS​
A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in
all areas of the state except as specifically limited as follows:
1. a person may not carry a concealed handgun into a place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law,
2. a person may not carry a concealed handgun on to the real property, or into any improvements erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high or high school,
3. a person may not carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place,
4. a person may not carry a concealed handgun where a private property owner, private tenant, private employer or private business entity disallow.​

but..

18-12-105.5 Unlawfully Carrying A Concealed Weapon - Unlawful Possession Of Weapons - School,
College, Or University Grounds​
1. A person commits a class 2 misdemeanor if such person knowingly and unlawfully and without legal
authority carries, brings, or has in such person’s possession a deadly weapon as defined in section 18-1-
901(3)(e) in or on the real estate and all improvements erected thereon of any public or private elementary,
middle, junior high, or high school or any public or private college, university, or seminary, except for the
purpose of presenting an authorized public demonstration or exhibition pursuant to instruction in conjunction
with an organized school or class, for the purpose of carrying out the necessary duties and functions of an
employee of an educational institution which require the use of a deadly weapon, or for the purpose of
participation in an authorized extracurricular activity or on an athletic team.
2. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 18-1-106, upon a conviction for a violation of this section either
within or upon the grounds of any public or private elementary, middle, junior high, or high school or
vocational school, the defendant shall be a special offender and the court, if it determines that incarceration is
appropriate, shall be required to sentence the defendant to a term that is greater than the twelve-month
maximum sentence specified for the class 2 misdemeanor but not more than twice the twelve-month maximum
term specified for the class 2 misdemeanor. In addition to such term of imprisonment, the court shall fine the
defendant without suspension at least the maximum fine of one thousand dollars specified for the class 2
misdemeanor but not more than ten times the one thousand dollar maximum fine specified for the class 2​
misdemeanor.
a) The weapon is unloaded and remains inside a motor vehicle while upon the real estate of any public or
private college, university, or seminary; or
b) The person is in that person’s own dwelling or place of business or on property owned or under that
person’s control at the time of the act of carrying; or
c) The person is in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance and is carrying a weapon for
lawful protection of that person’s or another’s person or property while traveling; or
d) The person, at the time to carrying a concealed weapon, held a valid written permit to carry a concealed
weapon issued pursuant to section 18-12-105.1 as said section existed prior to its repeal; except that it shall be
an offense under this section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of
Section 18-12-214 (3); or
(d.5) The weapon involved was a handgun and the person held a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun or a
temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to Part 2 of this article; except that it shall be an offense under this
section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of Section 18-12-214 (3);
or
e) The person is a peace officer, level I or level Ia, as defined in section 18-1-901(3)(1)(I) or (3)(1)(II)(A); or​
16​
f) The person is a peace officer, level II, as defined in section 18-1-901(3)(1)(III), while on duty; or
g) The person is a peace officer, level IIIa, as defined in section 18-1-901(3)(1)(IV.5), while on duty and
under supervision; or
h) The person has possession of the weapon for use in an educational program approved by a school which​
program includes, but shall not be limited to, any course designed for the repair or maintenance of weapons.

Right, I have read that. The CCW part is clear.

Here is where my confusion comes in. Remember this scenario assumes no CCW has been issued:

a) The weapon is unloaded and remains inside a motor vehicle while upon the real estate of any public or private college, university, or seminary;​

This does not mention High schools, middle schools, etc.

c) The person is in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance and is carrying a weapon for lawful protection of that person’s or another’s person or property while traveling.​

It wasn't being carried for protection, it is "in the trunk" because, in this scenario, I was planning to go to the range.

See where it gets confusing? In this case I think the best thing to do is plan my range time better :) and never have to worry about it. Once I get my CCW the grey area completely disappears.

Thanks for the feedack

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
It wasn't being carried for protection, it is "in the trunk" because, in this scenario, I was planning to go to the range.

See where it gets confusing? In this case I think the best thing to do is plan my range time better :) and never have to worry about it. Once I get my CCW the grey area completely disappears.

Thanks for the feedack
I can't imagine that would be a problem, unless you took it out, so don't. I also would not recommend that you enter the school and get arrested for something. Beyond that, if you a normal law abiding citizen, there is no reason in the world I can think of that anyone would have reason to ever know it was there anyway.

As stated before, "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut". If you think you can't follow that rule, and you still think someone will find it, then don't take it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
When I was in School kids would have their hunting rifles in a rack in the open in school parking lots we never got in trouble.

side note this is in california(northern) and it was like 3 or so years ago.

·
Registered
609 Posts
In California, you are not allowed to have a gun within 1,000 feet of a school. Given that I live about 800 feet from a school, technically it is not legal for me to have any guns in my house. I'm not kidding.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts