Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Mossberg 935 for Christmas. Still haven't fired it, but obviously I am going to have to start reloading for it. I know very little about shotguns and nothing about loading shotshells. This gun takes 3" and 3.5" shells. Any recommendations for presses and components? Steel or lead shot? etc..

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I personally don't reload...shells are still cheap enough at Wallyworld for my shotty. Of course that's for 2 3/4. As far as what kind of shot to reload, It depends on what you are going to be shooting. If you are going after waterfowl, here in Utah, we have to use non toxic shot ie. no lead. If you are just after target/plinking loads yeah lead is fine, plus lead is much more dense, patterns better, and carries longer than steel!!! If you want I could talk to one of my buddies who's been reloading shot shells for eons!!! I won't see him until Monday though. Good luck and congrats on the Mossberg!!! The 935 is an autoloader isn't it??? What ever action it is, nice!!! It sounds like you had a Merry Christmas!!!

·
Premium Member
8,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personally don't reload...shells are still cheap enough at Wallyworld for my shotty. Of course that's for 2 3/4. As far as what kind of shot to reload, It depends on what you are going to be shooting. If you are going after waterfowl, here in Utah, we have to use non toxic shot ie. no lead. If you are just after target/plinking loads yeah lead is fine, plus lead is much more dense, patterns better, and carries longer than steel!!! If you want I could talk to one of my buddies who's been reloading shot shells for eons!!! I won't see him until Monday though. Good luck and congrats on the Mossberg!!! The 935 is an autoloader isn't it??? What ever action it is, nice!!! It sounds like you had a Merry Christmas!!!
Right now I plan to shoot everything I can. Clays/skeet/whatever and waterfowling sound fun, though I know nothing about either. If you talk to him and he gives any useful suggestions please let me know. I am not planning on ordering a new reloader too soon. The 935 is an autoloader, and I definitely did have a Merry Christmas and hope you did as well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Using non-toxic shot for waterfowl is a federal law. States have no say in the matter. Back in the day when I shot a lot of skeet I used to reload shotshells. I used a MEC single stage press. You'd think it would be inconvenient, but the way the MEC (and most shotshell) presses are set up it sort of looks like a progressive - in other words all the stations are there. You put the shell in the first slot, and work it around until it's finished. Since there's no die changing or anything, it really doesn't take that long. I used to be able to load 100 shells in no time, therefore I never saw the need to upgrade to a progressive.

The only real downside to a MEC style press is that you buy them for a guage. In other words, you can't load 12 ga shells and 20 ga shells on the same press.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Good Luck!
I got a used MEC 650 on ebay for 85.00
I haven't tried shotshell yet. I got the Lyman Shotshell Reloader Manual. If you haven't got a manual yet, I wouldn't hesitate.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Cool. Now we're talking my other love. Shotguns. I shoot ATA Trap (C class) and putz around the Sporting Clays and Skeet. Don't hunt however but chasing those little clay frisbees around is enough for me.

Your gun was designed for 3" and 3.5" shells only. This is an issue. The only need for 3" shells is for hunting. Nobody and I mean nobody uses 3" for any kind of clay target shooting. The recoil of those shells will beat you up in short order and you'll drop birds. That's the reason we use light 1.125 or 1.0 oz loads. The effect of recoil is cumulative.

In addition typical 3" shells have 1.375 oz or more of shot which is way over the limit allowed in ATA Trap rules. Don't know for sure the limit in Skeet and SC but they have similiar rules limiting payload size.

For a press I run a MEC 9000G but it won't do 3" shells. From the MEC line I'd go with a Sizemaster. My components I order in big bulk, like $1500 at a time, from Gamaliel. Since 3" loading is considered specialty loading take a look at Ballistic Products. Interesting stuff there. Unless you have a specific need to use steel shot use lead. It's easier on the gun and your wallet. Step up to bismuth instead of steel and the price really skyrockets.

Reloading shotshells is just slightly different that metallic. There is no 'working up' of loads. The key is to pick the recipe from the powder manufacturers and follow it. No substitutions of anything. A simple change of primer from one to another can dramatically change the pressure levels. Same for wads. Other than that the process is very similiar to metallic. Deprime, prime. Powder charge. Insert wad. Payload charge. Crimp. No tumbling or resizing necessary.

If the Mossberg in 3" has painted you in a corner so to speak, pick up a Remington 870. I shot my first 1000 birds with one and only when I decided to get serious about Trap did I go with my Beretta. Besides everybodys got one and you can find them cheap at pawn shops. The pump will put you at a bit of a disadvantage for doubles in Skeet and SC. Another option is the Rem 1100. I'm not a fan of the 1100 as it takes a bit of messing with to keep it running. You can find those cheap at pawn shops also.

·
Premium Member
8,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool. Now we're talking my other love. Shotguns. I shoot ATA Trap (C class) and putz around the Sporting Clays and Skeet. Don't hunt however but chasing those little clay frisbees around is enough for me.

Your gun was designed for 3" and 3.5" shells only. This is an issue. The only need for 3" shells is for hunting. Nobody and I mean nobody uses 3" for any kind of clay target shooting. The recoil of those shells will beat you up in short order and you'll drop birds. That's the reason we use light 1.125 or 1.0 oz loads. The effect of recoil is cumulative.

In addition typical 3" shells have 1.375 oz or more of shot which is way over the limit allowed in ATA Trap rules. Don't know for sure the limit in Skeet and SC but they have similiar rules limiting payload size.

For a press I run a MEC 9000G but it won't do 3" shells. From the MEC line I'd go with a Sizemaster. My components I order in big bulk, like $1500 at a time, from Gamaliel Shooting Supply - Rifle Scopes, Reloading Supplies, Gun Accessories, Guns. Since 3" loading is considered specialty loading take a look at Shotshell Reloading Supplies -Ballistic Products - Shotgunner Supplies - hulls, wads, shot, data,. Interesting stuff there. Unless you have a specific need to steel shot use lead. It's easier on the gun and your wallet. Step up to bismuth instead of steel and the price really skyrockets.

Reloading shotshells is just slightly different that metallic. There is no 'working up' of loads. The key is to pick the recipe from the powder manufacturers and follow it. No substitutions of anything. A simple change of primer from one to another can dramatically change the pressure levels. Same for wads. Other than that the process is very similiar to metallic. Deprime, prime. Powder charge. Insert wad. Payload charge. Crimp. No tumbling or resizing necessary.

If the Mossberg in 3" has painted you in a corner so to speak, pick up a Remington 870. I shot my first 1000 birds with one and only when I decided to get serious about Trap did I go with my Beretta. Besides everybodys got one and you can find them cheap at pawn shops. The pump will put you at a bit of a disadvantage for doubles in Skeet and SC. Another option is the Rem 1100. I'm not a fan of the 1100 as it takes a bit of messing with to keep it running. You can find those cheap at pawn shops also.
Thanks for the info. I am not interested in getting another shotgun any time soon and am more interested in hunting than clays. Also I will not be entering any competitions or anything so there are no rules for me as far as what loads I can use while shooting them

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am not interested in getting another shotgun any time soon and am more interested in hunting than clays. Also I will not be entering any competitions or anything so there are no rules for me as far as what loads I can use while shooting them
Then get a Sizemaster in 3" and get to it. Since hunting will be the primary use, drop a few dimes on the books from Ballistic Products (BP). They have a huge variety of custom hunting loads.

Since finding 3" hulls in bulk might be a problem you may want to use BP hulls. Either way find a hull and stick with it. It's not like in metallic where you can mix headstamps. In shotshell you have to stick with the one hull called for in the receipe. Switching to a different hull requires resetting the press and resetting the press for each hull is a pain.

And you have to look at shotshell reloading a bit differently on the cost issue. I can reload for about $4.60 a box. Not a bit cheaper than the bulk 100 round packs at Wally World. But I'm using better shot, better powder, better hull, better wads put together with better quality control. In effect I'm getting Win AA quality loads which run $6.75 a box at junk load prices. Plus I can make 1 oz loads which are nearly impossible to find locally. Plus I can tweak the wad choice to make the pattern open up sooner or later. Etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts