Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do yall recommend for powder, primers, and projectiles?

I have the Lee Challenger starter kit BTW

I have had the press since Christmas and have never used it. Now that I want to shoot alot of 45 I think now is a good time to start (save some green).

TIA

Kyle

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
WST is a good powder as are a number of others. Unique will work as well.

I really like Berry's plated bullets. A little on the more expensive side, but worth every penny IMO.

For primers I prefer CCI and Winchester.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
WST is a good powder as are a number of others. Unique will work as well.

I really like Berry's plated bullets. A little on the more expensive side, but worth every penny IMO.

For primers I prefer CCI and Winchester.
Xdrox is a quick study, then again, he's a teacher, he should be. WST is just about the perfect 45acp powder IMO. Fills the case enough to see a double charge, linear pressure rise, clean burning, soft recoil, perfect for any bullet wt & type in the 45acp.
Berry's are fine, but pricey. Look into Precision Delta for FMJ cheaper than Berry's plated. Once you get your feet wet, lead bullets are a perfect fit for the low pressure/vel of the 45acp. Cheaper too.;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
berrys plates bullets...ok I have heard good things.

still need some hand holding...

What is HP, FP, RS, SWC, etc...

also I dont have a grain preference but I do have accuracy preferences so any recomendations are welcome!

Thanks.
Kyle

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NM on the acronyms I figured it out.

But can someone explain why there are so many types and this advantages of them?

Kyle

·
Registered
481 Posts
Honestly since 45 acp doesnt really stretch much, youll most likely lose the brass at the range before you wear it out! just inspect them for cracks or other issues and they can be reloaded many many times.

I use Winchester 231 powder, whatever primers are cheapest, and I cast my own 230 gr lead round nose from wheel weights.

Its costing me on average 7 cents a round when I reload... hard to beat that.

·
Registered
968 Posts

also I dont have a grain preference but I do have accuracy preferences so any recomendations are welcome!

Thanks.
Kyle
HP = Hollow Point
FP = Flat Point
SWC = Semi-Wad Cutter
TC = Truncated Cone
WC = Wad cutter
there are others

Bayou Bullets is a coated lead bullet. Little to no smoke and accuracy is great in the 4 calibers I've tried.
[email protected]
Donnie's site is down. E-mail him with any questions you may have.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts

But can someone explain why there are so many types and this advantages of them?

Kyle
It's mostly about your gun. A RN bullet feeds in anything. The XD is not a fan of the SWC bullet. FP or TC, same thing for the most part, cuts a nicer hole than a RN, not as nice as a SWC. Accuracy wise, they all shoot well, the 200gr is a good balance of cost vs accuarcy vs power factor for gun games. My XD gets a 200grTC or 23grRN. Mostly lead, but sometime jacketed or plated for indoor ranges. Get another reloading manual, the Lee is poor, I like the lyman #49 or Speer #14.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts

Thanks.
Kyle

Get some reloading manuals and do some reading, most of your questions will be answered with a little reading.

don

·
Registered
6,738 Posts

Kyle
Kyle, I think you have a lot of reading to do before you ever reload the first bullet. By reading your posts I don't think you have learned even the basics of reloading. I suggest you read at least 2 reloading books front to back before you start the reloading of any caliber of bullets. After you have done the reading come back to this forum with some knowledgeable* questions. You will save yourself a lot of grief later on. IMO :rolleyes:

*(at least half-way intelligent)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts