Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a subcompact a like shootiing it ut the discharged shells hit me on the head, in the face, land on my shoulder, etc, etc.....
Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Try to stiffen up your wrist, see what ya get. Also, try different ammo.

And welcome to the XD Nation!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The shells seam to go up and not to the right. I watched someone else shoot my XD and the same think happened. Can Springfield make an adjustment?
Thanks for feedback

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
heh. i had one go straight over my head when i was shooting this last weekend. quite amusing. my favorite though was when i was one handed speed dumping a mag full of hydrashoks and the next to the last shell flew up into the air so high that it actually hit the ground after the last case.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Finally a thread where I have input instead of a question. The first time I shot my XD I got it right in the forehead with a shell. I then realized that my arms where ready for the shots but my wrists weren't. After that I had no problems. The shells still go more up than out sometimes but atleast they aren't hitting me.

Rzeig

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Rzeig said:
The first time I shot my XD I got it right in the forehead with a shell.
LOL. that one did actually get a laugh out of me. my room mate wants to know what's funny :)

and it is nice when you can contribute to a thread instead of starting new ones, isn't it? :)

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
This brings up a serious question. Was he really hit in the head with a shell or was he actually hit in the head with a casing? And was he using a mag or a clip? And if it was a clip, would using a mag make a difference? Certainly we have points to ponder here.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Reminds me of the last time I went to the range. A guy was shooting a Baretta and had 5 or so shells fly into his dress shirt right behind his neck. His g/f was laughing histerically.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I recently bought a few boxes of Federal 147gr JHP rounds, and found that the ejected from the pistol consistently to the right. Most of the other rounds, WWB, Remington, PMC, etc.. (anything on sale at bi-mart) seemed to flail all over the place on ejection.

I don't know if this is because the round is heavier in the 147gr, or if it is a better quality round, or what.. but the spent rounds did seem to more consistently eject out and to the right without flying up and landing on my head.

Raymond

·
Registered
308 Posts
mr0w1 said:
could be that the federal has a more consistant powder load
Federal is one of the most consistant brands of ammo available.

This has more to do with the recoil pulse more than the actual amount of recoil. The shortest barrels in almost any gun will have erratic ejection problems. Take OEFM's advise and buy a hat.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My XD ejects casings normally but my Kel-Tec P3AT puts about every fifth one right over my head. I once had one ding me in the forehead and draw blood. Hot brass down my shirt? Be cool and keep shooting, cause it's better that and get burned than spaz out with a loaded pistol in my hand. Anyone had hot brass go down into their shooting glasses? That's a thrill. :shock:

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
willbond said:
My XD ejects casings normally but my Kel-Tec P3AT puts about every fifth one right over my head. I once had one ding me in the forehead and draw blood. Hot brass down my shirt? Be cool and keep shooting, cause it's better that and get burned than spaz out with a loaded pistol in my hand. Anyone had hot brass go down into their shooting glasses? That's a thrill. :shock:
Anyone had hot brass go down into their shooting glasses? That's a thrill.
Yep. I wear a baseball cap now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
willbond said:
Yep, several years ago, in a bullseye match, a .22 casing dropped into my shooting glasses and stuck between my cheek and the frames of the glasses and i still had about 3 more rounds in that string. I got through the string but had a blister to show for it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nothing beats a 50AE to the forehead, best damn feeling in the world especially when it bleeds. The one that hit my eyelid just plain sucked :evil:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
hmm, how about getting hit with the gun? The recoil on a S&W 500 is enough to bend the arms of some. If you hold it limp it will brand you. I seen it happen to someone. Damn newby renting the gun cause he just had to at the local range. At least he did not hurt anyone else.

·
Registered
133 Posts
using cheap blaze aluminum ammo.

shells consistently fell into about an under 2 foot diameter on the ground behind me to the right.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts