Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been shooting religiously (every week atleast 50 Rds at local indoor range) since February. Started out shooting large (4-5") groups but relatively around (and sometimes on) POA at 7yds (all reference to groups is at 7 yds from this point on). As the month went on the groups got better (2-3") and stayed around POA usually different guns each week testing different 9mm out. At the beginning of March I picked up my XDM9C and from the beginning started to shoot high right (left handed) while maintaining 2-3" groups, so first thing I thought was "sites are off" but my range owner picked up the gun and put 5 rds touching each other dead center, so obviously it's me... not only this but now any gun I pick up (M&P9C, SR9C are the two main ones I've shot since then but even the XDSC.40 too) I hit high right, now over the past few months my groups have gotten pretty tight (around 1-2" with the occasional stray) but I can't seem to get the group dead center, always high right (about an 1" or 2" high and 3-4" right) tried snap caps saw that I was flinching and have since worked on dry firing and can now dry fire all day without moving anything but the trigger yet when it comes to live ammo I'm high right consistently, beside the snap caps mixed in and dry firing what else might I try to move my aim back to dead center? Anyone? Or is this just a mental thing I'm going to have to overcome, I'm really starting to get frustrated!
Thanks in advance,
Phillip

·
Registered
538 Posts
Well, the correction chart sticky post indicates a high right shot (assuming you are right handed) is due to anticipation of recoil. You might try firing with your non-dominant hand, and see if you are having the same issue. I'm not sure how to correct a mental thing, as I am still having "low and left" issues. I have noticed the slower I go, the better my shot is. I was advised here to only load 4 or 5 rounds into the magazines, this helped me a lot because when I had a full 19 rounds in the mag, I found I sped up as I shot them, and succumbed to hasty shots.

Sorry for the ramble, hope it helps!

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
See if your local range has any classes for shooting.
Or, many ranges have teachers/employees that you can pay by the hour.
You can spend that hour working on your shootings techniques.
There is so much to consider when shooting, breathing, flinching, shot anticipation, closing your eyes, etc...
Have someone give you a lesson or two before you learn bad habits.

Another way to improve your groups is to get a better pistol.
Your XDm is a combat pistol, not a target or race gun...:rolleyes:;)

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Keep mixing in snap caps. You need to focus more on the front site and just let the gun go off and do what it wants to do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Try pulling the trigger back with the tip, or pad of your finger. If you wrap too much of your finger around the trigger your not actually pulling straight back. The natural curl of your finger will pull it to the side. Being left handed it will push ur bullets to the right. Also, what is your sight picture. Some pistols are set up different ways. Some you are supposed to cover the target with the front dot. Some you actually align the Target just over the front sight.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See if your local range has any classes for shooting.
Or, many ranges have teachers/employees that you can pay by the hour.
You can spend that hour working on your shootings techniques.
There is so much to consider when shooting, breathing, flinching, shot anticipation, closing your eyes, etc...
Have someone give you a lesson or two before you learn bad habits.

Another way to improve your groups is to get a better pistol.
Your XDm is a combat pistol, not a target or race gun...:rolleyes:;)
I'll definitely have to look into some classes or at least some one on one instruction at the range, I'll see what my range has to offer as I am worried that I'm on the path to bad habits :(. As far as my groups, I'm happy with those as you said it's a combat pistol I'm not expecting to put 1 bullet through another bullet hole every time or anything, I just want my group to be centered around my POA not in a group high right of my POA.

Keep mixing in snap caps. You need to focus more on the front site and just let the gun go off and do what it wants to do.
Yeah I'll keep up the snap caps, I guess I'm just impatient, letting the gun do what it wants to do is easier said then done :(.

Try pulling the trigger back with the tip, or pad of your finger. If you wrap too much of your finger around the trigger your not actually pulling straight back. The natural curl of your finger will pull it to the side. Being left handed it will push ur bullets to the right. Also, what is your sight picture. Some pistols are set up different ways. Some you are supposed to cover the target with the front dot. Some you actually align the Target just over the front sight.
yeah I use just the front pad of my finger but maybe I am letting it curl to much and not pulling straight back enough. I put the center dot right on my desired POI.

Thanks again everyone, any other advise is greatly appreciated.

Phillip

·
Registered
35 Posts
It can be hard to sort through all the differn't advice, though I do not think it's your gun even though the XD's are combat pistols I have seen people capable of putting some competition winning scores out. The only thing I would suggest is head on down to wal-mart and buy a wrist brace. I got one from them it looks like a finger glove with a wrist strap. I found that being double jointed and shooting the polymer frame pistols I tended to let my wrist slack. Doesn't sound like you are slacking but I have seen the brace trick work for others. They would get the sights right on and the second they started to squeeze the trigger they moved there wrist back to a more normal possition for them which was not conductive to shooting. You won't see it durring dry fore practice because you are concentrating on nothing but the sights. Don't get one with a plastic or metal insert it will get in the way of a proper grip. Hopefuly it'll help I wore mine for 3 weeks and now I don't need it anymore. Hope it helps

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Yeah I'll keep up the snap caps, I guess I'm just impatient, letting the gun do what it wants to do is easier said then done :(.
Keep it up with the snap caps. If you can video yourself firing a magazine with some caps mixed in by someone else so you don't know where they are that will tell you something. Naturally, it's FAR easier to say "let the gun do what it wants"!! By the way, I'm still battling my own demons in the gun - it's a never ending struggle of good trigger control against bad.

yeah I use just the front pad of my finger but maybe I am letting it curl to much and not pulling straight back enough. I put the center dot right on my desired POI.

Thanks again everyone, any other advise is greatly appreciated.

Phillip
On the XDm pistols the point of aim is a "6 O'Clock hold". That means the point of impact is inches noon high. I think that's right in the manual. Yep, just checked an XDm manual and page 34 is point of aim. When the front sight post is level with the back posts the impact will be on the top of the post. The picture shows the dot on the next ring down.

As far as other advice, try only loading one round in each of your mags. Put the gun down with mags out then pick it up, load and fire to get a perfect bullseye. Use total concentration to be perfect, you only have one shot and it has to count. Hopefully, that will train your brain to make each shot perfectly. When you need to shoot, you likely will only have one shot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Isn't the XDMc also set up for a 6 o'clock hold like the full size and not POA/POI? I know when I first got my XDM9 full size I pretty much had the same problem as the OP once I started trying to tighten my groups. Feels like the more accurate you want to be with the XDM the more it'll reveal flaws or bad habits you're developing in your shooting technique. I started to shoot high left after about 500 rounds thru the pistol which was frustrating me. So, I started to practice just pulling the trigger back. No caps or racking the slide. Just pulling it back and noticed that I did have a very slight tendency to pull the gun ever so slightly left. Did lots of practice just pulling it back to ingrain that motion into my brain so that I didn't move gun. Once I could hit center horizontally, I started noticiing I was hitting high. Not so obvious at 5-7 yards but became much more apparent as I went longer, 10-15 yards. Then I realized the XDM was always supposed to be a 6 o'clock hold shooter. It's just that I never noticed that when my groups were larger and more erratic in the beginning. I then practiced a 6 o'clock sight picture, and, voila, I can knock out the red dot no problem at 5-7 yards. Still working on tightening my 10 yards groups with is around 3-4".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts