Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I may be getting an XD Compact soon for my 21st birthday. I'm taking an Arizona CCW class on November 1st, and was thinking of getting it right before the class and using it there right away. Bad idea?

I have a couple more questions, I might as well just ask everything all at once...

What will I need for the XD to clean and maintain it? I'm looking for specific kits that you guys recommend.

Can the XD Compact shoot +P ammo without any modifications? If not, what should be replaced?

What do you guys think about internal guide rod lasers?

Thanks, I think that's it. I still need to decide on the color.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Looks like I may be getting an XD Compact soon for my 21st birthday. I'm taking an Arizona CCW class on November 1st, and was thinking of getting it right before the class and using it there right away. Bad idea?quote]

I dont think its a bad idea. Its basically what i did. Bought it, put about 200 rounds through it, took the class maybe 2 weeks later. Where are you going to take the class. If in Tucson, I'd highly recomend you take it from Tracy Burris at Marksmen II on Prince road. Great instructor, I learned alot and had fun.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Looks like I may be getting an XD Compact soon for my 21st birthday. I'm taking an Arizona CCW class on November 1st, and was thinking of getting it right before the class and using it there right away. Bad idea?

I have a couple more questions, I might as well just ask everything all at once...

What will I need for the XD to clean and maintain it? I'm looking for specific kits that you guys recommend.

Can the XD Compact shoot +P ammo without any modifications? If not, what should be replaced?

What do you guys think about internal guide rod lasers?

Thanks, I think that's it. I still need to decide on the color.
Get a BoreSnake Field Kit and you'll be good to go.
XD+ +P=Happy I have shot nothing but 9mm NATO through my XDs with no probs.
LASERs are for Mall Ninjas, let the flaming begin lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think its a bad idea. Its basically what i did. Bought it, put about 200 rounds through it, took the class maybe 2 weeks later.
Just to clarify, I'm talking about buying the gun one hour before the CCW class. Would that be a bad idea since the gun wouldn't be cleaned and tested before the class?

Where are you going to take the class. If in Tucson, I'd highly recomend you take it from Tracy Burris at Marksmen II on Prince road. Great instructor, I learned alot and had fun.
The class I'll be taking is in Goodyear. It was highly recommended by everyone at ArizonaShooting.com. It's taught by a LEO and it's only $40. :D

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Congrats and Welcome to the forum from Nashville. Getting the gun and using it in the class is a great idea. Gives you some more familiarity time with it. Plus, you can put some rounds down range before the class and get ahead of the curve.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Just to clarify, I'm talking about buying the gun one hour before the CCW class. Would that be a bad idea since the gun wouldn't be cleaned and tested before the class?
No, shoting it out of the box shouldn't cause any problems. This pistol is designed to be run hard and dirty. Hence the EXtreme Duty name. Buy it, then run the hell out of it! It can take it!;)

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
lol XD is about the ONLY gun I would try that with.
If it's your first pistol then it's not a good idea, would you take your drivers test in a car your first hour behind the wheel?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it's your first pistol then it's not a good idea, would you take your drivers test in a car your first hour behind the wheel?
It would be the first pistol that I would personally own, but I've shot plenty before, such as the the XD-9, XD-45, Glock 23, Desert Eagle .50AE, Kimber Custom II, etc... I just want to make sure that the gun itself won't get damaged without being properly cleaned and lubed prior to firing it for the first time.

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
I would definitely do some practice first. But no reason not to qualify with your XD, especially if it the gun you will be carrying. I bought a cleaning kit from Walmart for various calibers since I have several pistols. It includes oil, extended wire brushes, cotton brushes, a swatch holding extension, cotton swatches and the tool itself. They also sell kits that are caliber specific. Check out any outdoor retailer or search ".45 pistol cleaning kit" online.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Many XD users go directly from the dealer to the range. I did with a .45 service and my 9sc. No problem with either one.

If you have ever read the tortue test done on the XD you would not worry about it's reliability.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Nothing to worry about with the XD. I took mine from the box to the woods and put about 150 rds through it. They don't need cleaning before you use them (they're lubricated just fine from the factory).

Just run a bore-brush or snake down the tube before you fire it to make sure it's clear (it comes with a brush, but you might need a bit of cleaner to get it down there).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe you can rent an XD like yours to practice with before your class. To me, it makes no sense to qualify with a gun you won't be carrying, there were people in my carry permit class using .22s to qualify with on the range. (just b/c they were there, they didn't own a gun, nor would they be carrying a .22 in the future). You should know how to handle your own gun, not just anything to pass the course. I think you'll do fine with the XD, it's pretty user friendly- I wish you all the best! Enjoy it!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to everyone. I still need to decide on the color. There are very few pics of the green and brown on this site, and most of the time those pics aren't a good representation of the colors anyway.

How long does it take to buy a gun in Arizona from the moment you walk into the store? What's required to buy a gun there? Will my California ID work? I recently bought a house in Arizona, but I don't have an Arizona ID yet (still gotta go to the DMV over there).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey thought I'd chime in and say that I purchased my first firearm ever Sep '07 and it was the xd9sc. I didn't know a lick about firearms then, so I didn't even take it out of the foam padding (opened it up to look at it though :p) and it functioned flawlessly during the Intro to Marksmanship and CCW class I took.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks to everyone. I still need to decide on the color. There are very few pics of the green and brown on this site, and most of the time those pics aren't a good representation of the colors anyway.

How long does it take to buy a gun in Arizona from the moment you walk into the store? What's required to buy a gun there? Will my California ID work? I recently bought a house in Arizona, but I don't have an Arizona ID yet (still gotta go to the DMV over there).
If I was you I would go get your AZ drivers license before you buy your gun. If you have a AZ drivers license it will only take about ten to twenty minutes, after you fill out the paper work, Because after you fill out the paper work all they do is send the info in for a background check to make sure your Abel to buy a gun, And that's it then you get your gun, So total time in the gun shop is less than 1 hour, And good luck on your ccw class

1 - 15 of 15 Posts