Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im from a small town in ct and the more i look into it the harder it looks to get it ive shot guns off and on all my life but still a novice to it i guess anybody have any advice or experience they want like character letters from members of the community and all kinds of stuff plus they wernt clear on the exact step by step process any info would help sorry for rambling

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well, I would say to not listen to a bunch of gossip and go to your state website to get the straight dope info about obtaining your concealed carry permit. I did a quick search and found this, may be a good place to start.
Connecticut CCW Concealed Carry Hand Gun Legal Info

Its great that you are exercising your 2A rights! Congratulations!

·
Registered
33 Posts
well im from a small town in ct and the more i look into it the harder it looks to get it ive shot guns off and on all my life but still a novice to it i guess anybody have any advice or experience they want like character letters from members of the community and all kinds of stuff plus they wernt clear on the exact step by step process any info would help sorry for rambling
It's a lot easier than you think. First, get the application from your town. Each town is different, but the State requires you get the town first. Most towns require an NRA safety course which is pretty standard. Probably costs $125-$175? Sounds like you need three reference letters from people who aren't family members? Make sure anyone you choose doesn't have any criminal history because they will all get their names run and receive a letter stating you used them as a reference. This is so you don't use someone without permission. Also pick people that are cool with knowing you'll own and carry a firearm. Don't use a professor from college or your boss as a reference because they probably won't be cool with you carrying a piece to school or work.
Get your prints taken, usually your town wont charge, but if they do it'll be like $10. Call ahead and make an appointment and treat it like a job interview and you probably wont have to pay. Bring money orders for payment according to the instructions. You can get one at Stop n Shop for $.50 or maybe $1.00 You'll hear back soon I promise.
After you get your town permit, drive directly to DPS which is off exit 20 on I-91. Bring the application from the Internet with everything they require. Probably your town permit, money order, drivers license, birth cert or passport and you'll leave there with your permit after 15 mins. They have a metal detector going in, so leave knives and stuff outside. You don't want to ruin your chances after spending all that money and effort.

Now, you pay every 5 yrs and go to DPS for renewals . . . End of story

Good luck

Don't get frustrated, it's really easy and much faster than they say it'll be. I think they make it seem like it takes 6 months, but the trick is to go to DPS in person to obtain the State permit.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info its sad that an hour on here got me more info then 4 days callin places this week lol good old ct state police not trying to insult anyone

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had another question has anyone from ct been denied for a permit wat would some possible reasons be besides having a negative backround

·
Registered
33 Posts
i had another question has anyone from ct been denied for a permit wat would some possible reasons be besides having a negative backround
Don't know anyone who's been denied, but the standard stuff would stop it from happening. Criminal record mostly pointing to assault, robbery, burglary, domestic violence. Any history of mental issues, medications to treat any mental issues, confinement in a mental hospital. Your prints are sent to the FBI so you better hope you didn't leave a coffee cup behind at the bank you robbed....!

Speeding tickets aren't going to stop the process for you. Although, the first step is the Town permit and that has to be approved by the Chief so it would be up to his discretion. I think you can appeal if they deny you?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I suggest you move to Vermont instead. Why give your tax money to people who are wannabe hitlers?
Nah, I hear hurricane season is nuts up there . . . :shock:

No real need to carry in VT . . . No crime!! There is crime in the "dirty water" though . . . And other parts of CT.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah waterbury is a **** hole of a place almost everyone is trashy and ignorant not to mention crime has rose 15% in the last 9 months but it is on the decline again

·
Banned
98 Posts
hurricanes are easily preemted these days. All you have to do is move 100 miles inland. Any old granny can do that in 3 days, on a 10 speed, and we get 3 days of warning via TV, etc. Tyrants and their henchmen, tho, are all the time a threat and a drain on your bank account.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got my permit in CT a few months ago. The whole process wasn't that bad. As long as you have no criminal background you should be okay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts