Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's another one (not a question so much as a thought): i hadn't fired a gun in 10 years (my first and only time), but a couple weeks ago in the wake of katrina, it seems half the population of baton rouge was arming themselves (3 hrs. from walking in to checking out to get out of the biggest b.r. shop), so i joined the club with a s&w 64 strickly for self-defense. a couple days later, a glock 17 seemed in order. a week later, an xd-40. took my fiancee to the range, and though she did ok with the glock, we may need to get her a beretta tomcat or something (she's got tiny hands). now i'm eyeing all sorts of stuff (less expensive, can't really bring myself to pay over $500 per gun, but plenty of good stuff out there in that range, i think). anyway, now thinking of another xd, maybe even a sigma (there just so cheap, but seem sturdy), and, lord help me, a 1911 (which i know is over $500 by several $$$).

the question, if any: is there something wrong with me? what gives?

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Nothing's wrong, other than you started late.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Nope, as long as you guys are safe in your handling/storage/shooting, there's nothign wrong with you, you are just finding out why this hobby is so addictive. :wink:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Well Ummm :? I don't think so.
But I have been wrong before. :shock:

If you think you have a monkey on your back now, you should give IPSC shooting a try, you the right guns for production class.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Yeah, I started out like you. I bought my Taurus because all I needed was a gun for the house/hiking. .357 seemed like a versatile all around round. Then of course if you have a revolver, you have to have at least one semi auto. That was the XD. While I was at it, why not get him a little bro, the subcompact. For those days when you don't feel like dealing with 2 lbs, the P3at. Maybe a Tactical 9 would be in order next. I'm still waiting for a single stack subcompact.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
jkswiss said:
Yeah, I started out like you. ....

.........(snip)

I'm still waiting for a single stack subcompact.
What? You don't have a 1911 OR a .22?

:?: :roll: :?:

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nothing wrong, as mentioned earlier, your a late bloomer. Welcome to the forum. I've always been a gun person (since high school--35 years ago), I took a hiatus for about 20 years when my guns sat dormant, locked and put away. In the past year I've "got the bug" again and have added 8 firearms to my arsenal (3 long, 5 hand).

Most important, be proficient with each as you acquire it and be safe---safe handling, operation and storage.

One thing I'd like to stress it is go for quality, not quantity. Save a few dollars more and get a good gun, not the cheapo special. Acqaintances have bought inexspensive guns and then been so frustated by malfunctions, the entire shooting experience is degraded. There are a lot of quality guns on the market, try them and get what feels right for you. Springfields have been great to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts