Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 4 XDs: a new SS bitone Sub, a blue Standard, a SS bitone Standard and a Tactical. All will keep 10 shots in the 3" black of a 50' NRA target at 50' shot slowfire off-hand EXCEPT for the Tactical. The Tactical groups are about 50% larger than the other guns regardless of ammo used. I use a 6 oclock hold.

The Tactical shot high and would only do about 5" groups from the factory. I had night sights installed on the Standard bitone, and put the original rear sight (which was about .025" shorter) on the Tactical. This corrected the elevation problem, and the tactical now hits the same point of aim as the Standards and the Sub. But the groups are still too large.

Frustrated, I cleaned the Tactical barrel in prep of trading it off. I really inspected the barrel for the first time since I bought the gun new. The barrel has a couple of lines of what appear to be tool chatter marks in the "corner" between the lines and grooves.

Figuring the defective barrel was the problem, I contacted Springfield. I explained my problem, and was told the technician "couldn't believe" I had a defective barrel. The tech told me they had these calls all the time but the barrel wasn't the problem. His implication was the complaining customers were incapable of shooting a group.

The option offered was to ship the gun back to Springfield and if they "agreed" the barrel was defective, they would replace the barrel and reimburse the shipping. If they don't "agree", I'm out the shipping both ways ($50-60), the gun is gone a couple of months, and still have a gun that won't group.

Not impressed, I asked what it would cost to upgrade to a BarSto barrel. The answer was $250. I can buy the same barrel directly from BarSto for $200. IF the BarSto doesn't drop in, BarSto has you return the slide and barrel and they will fit it for $15 with a week (IIRC) turnaround time.

Contrast the attitude at Springfield with my experience with Smith & Wesson. A couple of years ago, I had to return a pistol for factory repair. S&W sent FedEx to my door to pick up the gun, fixed it, and FedEx returned it back to my door all at their expense and the gun was gone less than 2 weeks. It's a shame S&W didn't get the importation rights to the XD.

The local Sheriff office just selected new pistols (HK). The XD wasn't even considered. The Captain in charge of patrol is a personal friend (we shoot PPC, NRA Bullseye, SASS, go to gunshows together, etc.). I asked why they didn't consider the XD. He responded that Springfield had the reputation for poor support once the guns were sold. I think I know what he is talking about.

XDs are great guns, but the Springfield factory support is poor. Springfield quoted me a 6 week turnaround to install night sights on my Bitone Standard which would be a 10 minute job for a guy with the tools.
I guess I'm not impressed with SA.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i have had great customer service.

i think the long turnarounds are due to the large number of XD's being sold and then refinished.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have never heard of or experienced anything but good customer service. If there truly is something wrong with the barrel you will be out nothing but time and Springfield will take care of it. Did you have anyone else shoot this gun? I have a Steyr I am still getting used to and can't keep a group with. When I had someone else try it their first 10 shots were a 2" group and he had never even heard of Steyr. :oops:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can only report my own experiences. Regarding the night sights, I told SA I needed the gun back in my hands in three weeks because I was going to use it in a shooting class otherwise I wouldn't order the sights. The lady told me to include a note stating that and they would "try" to get it back by then. They did get the gun back as promised after I included the note, but she originally quoted me 6 weeks.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
If it's taking them 6 weeks to put sights on, they need to hire more people...

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Send your guns to me to get sight installed!!!!
Turned around in 2 days!
I got the tools!
UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM NO this is not true Springfield MUST HIRE MORE PEOPLE!
Christ a Gunsmith can do this for you !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My accuracy comparison for the Tactical was based on comparisons with my 3 other XD9s. If I can get decent groups with the same type of gun (all 4 guns are stock) that have the disadvantage of having a shorter sight radius then the problem isn't sight alignment or trigger control. My Subcompact groups better than my Tactical at the same range, using the same ammo, and shot side by side.

I ordered a new barrel from BarSto. No reason to waste time and money getting the runaround from Springfield. The BarSto is $214 delivered to my door. Springfield quoted me $250 for a BarSto, plus I had to pay to ship the gun to them (and, I assume, back as well). Hardly a good deal under any circumstances.

·
Registered
71 Posts
32Special, I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience with the xd tactical. I've got an xd-9 tactical and an xd-9 bitone service. The tactical has been 100% reliable and superbly accurate. I've shot 2.25 inch groups from a stance with it at 25 yards, using WW white box. I'm not posting this information to be contrary; rather, I just wanted to provide a perspective from a satisfied customer. I'm sure that there are some outlying data points with these handguns, as with any mass-produced device, and it appears that you may have one which lies below the quality zone. I hope Springfield does right by you so that you can enjoy this remarkable handgun.

32Special said:
I currently have 4 XDs: a new SS bitone Sub, a blue Standard, a SS bitone Standard and a Tactical. All will keep 10 shots in the 3" black of a 50' NRA target at 50' shot slowfire off-hand EXCEPT for the Tactical. The Tactical groups are about 50% larger than the other guns regardless of ammo used. I use a 6 oclock hold.

The Tactical shot high and would only do about 5" groups from the factory. I had night sights installed on the Standard bitone, and put the original rear sight (which was about .025" shorter) on the Tactical. This corrected the elevation problem, and the tactical now hits the same point of aim as the Standards and the Sub. But the groups are still too large.

Frustrated, I cleaned the Tactical barrel in prep of trading it off. I really inspected the barrel for the first time since I bought the gun new. The barrel has a couple of lines of what appear to be tool chatter marks in the "corner" between the lines and grooves.

Figuring the defective barrel was the problem, I contacted Springfield. I explained my problem, and was told the technician "couldn't believe" I had a defective barrel. The tech told me they had these calls all the time but the barrel wasn't the problem. His implication was the complaining customers were incapable of shooting a group.

The option offered was to ship the gun back to Springfield and if they "agreed" the barrel was defective, they would replace the barrel and reimburse the shipping. If they don't "agree", I'm out the shipping both ways ($50-60), the gun is gone a couple of months, and still have a gun that won't group.

Not impressed, I asked what it would cost to upgrade to a BarSto barrel. The answer was $250. I can buy the same barrel directly from BarSto for $200. IF the BarSto doesn't drop in, BarSto has you return the slide and barrel and they will fit it for $15 with a week (IIRC) turnaround time.

Contrast the attitude at Springfield with my experience with Smith & Wesson. A couple of years ago, I had to return a pistol for factory repair. S&W sent FedEx to my door to pick up the gun, fixed it, and FedEx returned it back to my door all at their expense and the gun was gone less than 2 weeks. It's a shame S&W didn't get the importation rights to the XD.

The local Sheriff office just selected new pistols (HK). The XD wasn't even considered. The Captain in charge of patrol is a personal friend (we shoot PPC, NRA Bullseye, SASS, go to gunshows together, etc.). I asked why they didn't consider the XD. He responded that Springfield had the reputation for poor support once the guns were sold. I think I know what he is talking about.

XDs are great guns, but the Springfield factory support is poor. Springfield quoted me a 6 week turnaround to install night sights on my Bitone Standard which would be a 10 minute job for a guy with the tools.
I guess I'm not impressed with SA.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've shot 2.25 inch groups from a stance with it at 25 yards, using WW white box.
Wow, that's pretty darn impressive. I'm lucky to get that grouping at 7 yards with my 4". This line represents 2.25"...

-----------------------------------

I would love to see results from a Ransom Rest on various XD's.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hello 32special;
my .02 on springfield service and group size.
first you state that you get 3" groups AT 50FEET with 4"GUNS BUT NOT 5"TACT.
THERE CAN BE MANY REASONS FOR THIS TO BE TRUE.
THE 5" BALLENCES TOTALY DIFFERENTLY, IT IS NOSE HEAVY, WHICH IS WORSE WHEN THE MAG ONLY HAS A FEW ROUNDS IN IT.
EVERYONE WILL ALWAYS BE ABLE TO SHOOT A GUN THAT IS BETTER
BALLENCED, THE LONG SLIDE CAN CAUSE ANY FLAWS IN YOUR SHOOTING TO SHOW UP MORE BECAUSE OF THE BALLENCE. THE SIGHT IS ALSO 1" FARTHER AWAY FROM YOUR EYES. MAY BE YOU CAN'T FOCUS ON THE FRONT SIGHT AS WELL WITH THE LONGER SIGHT RADIUS.
I KNOW MY EYES ARE GETTING OLD AND I AM FINDING IT HARDER TO FOCUS AS WELL.
THAT IS WHY IN POLICE CIRCLES I FEEL THAT DEPT'S. WHICH TRY TO FORCE A ONE GUN FITS ALL POLICY IS VERY WRONG.
I HAVE A 4" XD 357 AND IT WILL SHOOT 2" AT 25YDS ALL DAY.
WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT SKILL LEVELS, I AM A 1490 PPC SHOOTER AND
A GUN THAT WILL ONLY GROUP 2" AT 25YDS DOES NOT IMPRESS ME VERY MUCH. MOST PPC REVOLVERS WILL GROUP 1" AT 50YDS.
BUT 2" FROM A SEMI-AUTO IS PRETTY GOOD.

BEFORE YOU GIVE UP ON THE TACTICAL TRY SHOOTING IT FROM A REST.
OR HAVE ANOTHER SHOOTER TRY IT.
AS A POLICE ARMOURER I HAVE HAD ONLY VERY!!!! GOOD SERVICE FROM SPRINGFIELD.
YOU STATED THAT YOUR FRIEND/SHOOTING BUDDY HAS TOLD YOU BAD THINGS ABOUT SPRINGFIELD,COULD THIS HAVE CLOUDED YOUR FEELINGS WITH OUT YOU REALIZING IT?

HOPE YOU GET IT ALL STRIGHTENED OUT
RICK

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Its kinda sad to see stuff like this because you hate to hear about it. SA really doesnt have that good a reputation when it comes to service which is rather surprising for a company as old as SA is.

I hope that someone in the executive team at SA takes note of some of the response they are getting from LE organizations along the lines of service (along with that from the civilian grunts like us) and takes some action to increase the customer experience.

Its true that its costs money and you arent exactly going to build anything more than a negligible revenue stream from the cost investment but if customer service helps builds sales... well.... you get the point.

My sig also denotes one of the other problems i have with SA at the moment along the lines of supporting customers....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Like rotnguns, my XD-9 tactical shoots groups of about 3 inches at 25 yrds using WWB 115's and resting the frame on a bench. Free hand it increases to about 5 inches and I know that size group is more than acceptable in a self defense shooting scenario. At 15 yards I can shoot sub 3 inch groups free hand and sub 2 inch resting on a bench.
I admit that I shoot approx 1000-1500 rounds and 4-5 matches per month which is more than most shooters but I find it hard to believe your pistol is that mechanically inaccurate.

I'd be willing to bet you'll get the same results from it after you drop in the BarSto barrel but honestly don't expect you to be forthwright with the results.

No matter what, I wish you luck and hope you figure out what's really going on.

Peace 8)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a new tactical back in august. My gun is sturdy and dependable but I have the same problem in that it groups 5 to 6 inches at 25 yards. It frequently shoots the first shot low and to the left. The other shots shoot to point of aim and the groups on a good day are about 4-5 inches. I am waiting for the folks at Barsto to fit me a match barrel. I will let you know how it works for me. I think the gun can shoot better. I have the advantage in that I have a range on my property and can practice every day. My CZ 75 for example is more consistent and does on a good day print 2-3 inch groups. :confused:

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Why in the world did you resurrect a 6 year old thread just to say that???

Also your "low & left" is probably shooter induced. Going from a hammer fired gun to a striker gun tends to result in that due to the differences in the trigger operation. You don't believe me? Stick the gun in a rest and see for yourself.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I also had an experience with SA customer service. My original thread was called why Springfield rules were my champion's frame slide fit was so bad that it was not repairable so they replaced the whole pistol. At first I was happy, hey a brand new pistol right, Wrong. My original champion was bought when Springfield was at my LGS and was a pro shop special with match barrel and polished guide ramp and lightened trigger. So I contacted Springfield and spoke to the same rep who was not happy to hear me basically telling me my original was destroyed and could not verify that, they were very busy and in the process of a move. It took a week of arguing and her tracking the SN and speaking to the gunsmith only then she told me that the smith remembered the barrel being different and the SN verified that it was a pro shop special but I would have to pay for shipping. A month lather I got the pistol back with my OLD (destroyed) barrel and invoice stating they installed the old barrel..everything looks good but the barrel link sticks slightly but there is no way I'm sending it back I figured good lube and 500 rounds or so will fix that

·
Registered
2 Posts
Didnt mean to bring in a old post other than it relates to something I am experiencing today. You can do a lot worse then buying a spring field pistol. I did say it was sturdy and reliable. Just the day before I shot it and the first two shots hiy way low and left. Nest shot was a bullseye and the next one was high dead center. I dont think I am getting a good consistant lock up. At least when I get the fitted match barrel I will know if it is me or the gun. I have shot 10s of thousands of 9mm ammo through various guns and know when it is me or the gun. In this case I think its the gun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts