Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine is in the police academy and he just got a Gen 4 glock 22. He had a Gen 3 a week prior and no problems I heard of problems of jams mostly with the 9mm variations. However he said this week his glock jammed 4 times on him and they all had a hard time unjamming it once. I told him maybe the spring. They cops said it was the spring. Anyone hear of this with the .40 variations and what spring will help fix this if it is indeed the spring?

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are several threads on this very subject on various forums. The Oakland Police Department was issued new Gen. 4 .40's and had various issues. The Gen. 4's were recalled and they were re-issued their Gen. 3's. The Glock fanbase is pretty much ignoring the subject. Some of the dealers are reporting Gen. 3 issues as well.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
It is probably the recoil spring. Glock told my friend that the gun was a service gun and was designed to fire service ammo. After several minutes of talking to Gloca customer support they told him they were semding a lighter spring.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What spring the way to go? At least to try?

D

·
0 Posts
Just call Glock, they know about this. They should send you a lighter weight recoil spring free of charge. Or, if your buddy has access to the PD Glock armorer, he/she may also be able to help.

·
Registered
715 Posts
There are several threads on this very subject on various forums. The Oakland Police Department was issued new Gen. 4 .40's and had various issues. The Gen. 4's were recalled and they were re-issued their Gen. 3's. The Glock fanbase is pretty much ignoring the subject. Some of the dealers are reporting Gen. 3 issues as well.
not really, they have some pretty good fights going over on GT, I started one of the threads.

glocks are great handguns, but they are just a handgun and have issues just like the rest of them, considering they have been one of the best selling handguns for a while now hearing of issues is not a surprise as they out number most everything else. not much different than all the people you hear claiming 1911s have lots of problems. that being said I've seen more KB'd g23s (3 actually) than any other firearm, hasn't stopped me from owning a glock in .40 though.

gen 4 still has some pretty serious bugs popping up. the rumor on the oakland recall (oakland pd recalled them not glock) and at least one other agency is not due to feed or extraction issues, its the guide rod binding in the slide effectively locking up the action creating a loaded gen 4 paperweight, but thats a unsubstantiated rumor at this point. glock will be replacing their early gen 4s with a revised version, and there have been several revisions to the gen 4 model already.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
The Glock fanbase is pretty much ignoring the subject. Some of the dealers are reporting Gen. 3 issues as well.
Consider me to be part of the Glock "fan base," since I've fired over 200,000 of my reloads through my Glocks over the past 15 years-or-so. :cool: It's true that the Gen 4 Glocks have experienced problems, due to a new recoil spring design. It'll get fixed.

I don't believe that "some of the dealers are reporting Gen. 3 issues as well." I think that's b.s. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not really, they have some pretty good fights going over on GT, I started one of the threads.

glocks are great handguns, but they are just a handgun and have issues just like the rest of them, considering they have been one of the best selling handguns for a while now hearing of issues is not a surprise as they out number most everything else. not much different than all the people you hear claiming 1911s have lots of problems. that being said I've seen more KB'd g23s (3 actually) than any other firearm, hasn't stopped me from owning a glock in .40 though.

gen 4 still has some pretty serious bugs popping up. the rumor on the oakland recall (oakland pd recalled them not glock) and at least one other agency is not due to feed or extraction issues, its the guide rod binding in the slide effectively locking up the action creating a loaded gen 4 paperweight, but thats a unsubstantiated rumor at this point. glock will be replacing their early gen 4s with a revised version, and there have been several revisions to the gen 4 model already.
That sounds like exactly what happen to him.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It's true that the Gen 4 Glocks have experienced problems, due to a new recoil spring design. It'll get fixed.
Its been over a year since the release of the Gen4 and they are still having problems. I'm sure they'll fix it in eventually but you would think this is something they would have resolved quickly.

I don't believe that "some of the dealers are reporting Gen. 3 issues as well." I think that's b.s. :rolleyes:
I don't know about dealers but I know there are new Gen3s that are popping up with issues because Glock is starting to use the same parts, such as the faulty extractors, as the Gen4 to save cost.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Never heard about a problem with the extractors, thought it was just the recoil spring assembly? Do you have any links to any info about that?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Never heard about a problem with the extractors, thought it was just the recoil spring assembly? Do you have any links to any info about that?
not a problem with the extractor, that is actually a common part with the gen 3. the 9mm variants had some issues with short stroking with lower powered ammo due to the dual recoil spring strength and even that is still being debated. haven't heard of many issues with the g22 in that regard. the current issue and slide revision is the guide rod binding against the slide stopping the gun from cycling all together and in some case requiring dis-assembly to unlock, the later gen 4 g22 has been counter bored where the guide rod runs through the slide, the assumption in the glock community is that the revision is an attempt to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
345 Posts
not a problem with the extractor, that is actually a common part with the gen 3. the 9mm variants had some issues with short stroking with lower powered ammo due to the dual recoil spring strength and even that is still being debated. haven't heard of many issues with the g22 in that regard. the current issue and slide revision is the guide rod binding against the slide stopping the gun from cycling all together and in some case requiring dis-assembly to unlock, the later gen 4 g22 has been counter bored where the guide rod runs through the slide, the assumption in the glock community is that the revision is an attempt to resolve the issue.
Are you sure about the extractor? I've read more than a few thread on glocktalk where the new extractor design is suspected to be part of the issue. ToddG at pistol-training.com noted that his problematic Gen4 stopped being so.....problematic after he replaced the current extractor with a non-LCI extractor.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Are you sure about the extractor? I've read more than a few thread on glocktalk where the new extractor design is suspected to be part of the issue. ToddG at pistol-training.com noted that his problematic Gen4 stopped being so.....problematic after he replaced the current extractor with a non-LCI extractor.
pretty sure, extractor, plunger and spring loaded bearing are the same on gen3 and gen4. not saying that the extractor wasn't a problem for somebody but going back to gen 2 tech is pretty extreme, did they mention which extractor they reverted to was 90 or 15 deg?

only glock extractors I've replaced have been for a g17 gen1 the was blown out because of an over charged round and g23 the broke (not my guns).

the issues reported with the LE agencies have been with the slide locking closed not extraction. once again I am repeating what I've read not relaying personal experience.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I realize this is a .40 issue, my 9 is flawless.

You can purchase a "ring" that fits into the slide that allows you to use the Gen 3 style spring. The simple captured spring rather than the dual recoil that is supposed to be a step-up in Gen 4.

Strange, you would imagine their QC testing would have revealed any problems as LE is such a big part of their selling basis. :confused:

·
Registered
345 Posts
pretty sure, extractor, plunger and spring loaded bearing are the same on gen3 and gen4. not saying that the extractor wasn't a problem for somebody but going back to gen 2 tech is pretty extreme, did they mention which extractor they reverted to was 90 or 15 deg?

only glock extractors I've replaced have been for a g17 gen1 the was blown out because of an over charged round and g23 the broke (not my guns).

the issues reported with the LE agencies have been with the slide locking closed not extraction. once again I am repeating what I've read not relaying personal experience.
Sorry, I don't remember seeing anything about 90 or 15 degree. I just remember it being a non-LCI version. :(

Apparently the new extractor is a MIM part and has a slightly different design or a common defect when compared to the older extractor. if you look at a newer Gen4 with this extractor you can see its not completely flush and has a bit of a hump on it. I'm sorry I'm not more knowledgeable in regards to this, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about Glocks for a future purchase. But with all the issues that people are still having I don't think I'll be buying one for a while now. :(

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Sorry, I don't remember seeing anything about 90 or 15 degree. I just remember it being a non-LCI version. :(

Apparently the new extractor is a MIM part and has a slightly different design or a common defect when compared to the older extractor. if you look at a newer Gen4 with this extractor you can see its not completely flush and has a bit of a hump on it. I'm sorry I'm not more knowledgeable in regards to this, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about Glocks for a future purchase. But with all the issues that people are still having I don't think I'll be buying one for a while now. :(
It is not FLUSH anymore because it is now designed to be a loaded chamber indicator (see & feel).

·
Registered
715 Posts
with the exception of a few very models, gen 3 has always been the 15 deg (to match slide) w/debris channel LCI extractor, I think it happened about the same time the went 3 pin on all models.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts