1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
XDM As A Duty Weapon - M4Carbine.net Forums

Apparently the xd's/xdm aren't good duty weapons lol

Service Pistol Duty and Self-Defense Loads - M4Carbine.net Forums

I dont't know what these guys are talking about...everything I've heard and read has been positive - and everyone that actually uses them that I've talked to has had nothing but great things to say! Love my XDM .45, was finally able to take it to the range a couple weeks ago, 125+ trouble free rounds of remington UMC.

Thoughts or opinions on the above articles?

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
Well, when you get away from forums that aren't dedicated to one specific pistol, like this is...you may find out that the XD isn't as loved as it is here.

And as a former XDm owner, I tend to agree...it ain't all that.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Well, when you get away from forums that aren't dedicated to one specific pistol, like this is...you may find out that the XD isn't as loved as it is here.

And as a former XDm owner, I tend to agree...it ain't all that.
Are any? Other than the 1911 which will be henceforth referred to in hushed and reverent tones...

How critical is it to be able to manipulate your slide with one hand while engaging your grip safety? This seems to be the main complaint about the Xd's I have come across.

Obviously, a scenario could be invented for any pistol that it would fail, and therefore should become an internet pariah.
  • Some trainers like XD's but won't recommend them for LEO duty specifically because of that grip safety manipulation issue.
  • Many recommend Glocks if only because of their "stopping power"... They are so ugly that BG's freeze in fear of the ugly.
  • Still others recommend M&P's because they hurt like hell when they are thrown at the BG's as a last resort because they won't fire.
I just made all of... well most of this up (the grip safety thing I actually was told last week and Glocks are fugly) because I am an INTERNET GENIUS!, and am an expert in all things when I am online.

The XD lines are great pistols. They don't have the market saturation because Glock spent heavily to market itself to LEO agencies. They are generally cheaper to buy, and at this point, everyone and their cousin has glock parts readily on hand. Other than "glock leg", why change when they just work for budgets and reliability?

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
Are any? Other than the 1911 which will be henceforth referred to in hushed and reverent tones...

How critical is it to be able to manipulate your slide with one hand while engaging your grip safety? This seems to be the main complaint about the Xd's I have come across.

Obviously, a scenario could be invented for any pistol that it would fail, and therefore should become an internet pariah.
  • Some trainers like XD's but won't recommend them for LEO duty specifically because of that grip safety manipulation issue.
  • Many recommend Glocks if only because of their "stopping power"... They are so ugly that BG's freeze in fear of the ugly.
  • Still others recommend M&P's because they hurt like hell when they are thrown at the BG's as a last resort because they won't fire.
I just made all of... well most of this up (the grip safety thing I actually was told last week and Glocks are fugly) because I am an INTERNET GENIUS!, and am an expert in all things when I am online.

The XD lines are great pistols. They don't have the market saturation because Glock spent heavily to market itself to LEO agencies. They are generally cheaper to buy, and at this point, everyone and their cousin has glock parts readily on hand. Other than "glock leg", why change when they just work for budgets and reliability?
Crappy triggers are also one of the main complaints against XD's...and, again, as somone who has owned and shot many stirker-fired polymers, I'll tend to agree that the XD series has one of the worst.

I don't think I've ever said the XD/XDm was a terrible pistol...but, again, like I said--when you leave the coccoon here, you may find out that the XD line isn't the end-all, be-all.

I know..the XD fanboi's are warmin' up the flamethrowers right now.

Live it up.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I tend to agree with the guys over on M4carbine. A lot of the guys over there really know their stuff and they aren't just "internet experts". Dr Gary Roberts (DocGKR) being one of them who is probably the most reputable ballistics expert on the planet. Heck, it was Dr Roberts who kind of helped me take the plunge into the M&P world and I've been loving it ever since. I don't think the XD/XDm are bad guns (although I wasn't too impressed with mine), I just feel for the money there are better choices out there. To each his own...

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I have two pistols. My carry, which is a CZ Rami, and my 4' inch XD 9mm, which is my primary HD gun.

Guns are tools. My XD does it's job as well as any could do. That's all I care about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have put a couple hundred rounds through my XDM "40" in a day with out any problems so I don't know where they get there info but I love my XDM & don't leave home with out it.

·
Premium Member
21,772 Posts
Trusted my life to a XD for 2 years... Would go back if I needed to.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Seems like there were just as many people backing up the Springers as there were against it... I never did get the beef with the grip safety as a couple of people on there said "its the biggest negative"... really?... thats it?... I guess 1911's must be garbage too then, not that they have been around for 100 years or anything and are still just as popular and also have a grip safety.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
I am no expert on the 1911, but as I understand the mechanics if the grip safety is not pressed you can still work the slide. The XD's you can't.

That is the drawback. If you injure one of your hands in a life or death situation, you can't manipulate the slide as you can other systems.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I am no expert on the 1911, but as I understand the mechanics if the grip safety is not pressed you can still work the slide. The XD's you can't.

That is the drawback. If you injure one of your hands in a life or death situation, you can't manipulate the slide as you can other systems.
There have been quite a few videos posted in here dispelling the rumor that you cant rack the slide with one hand on an XD/XDm:rolleyes:

Do a quick search on youtube and I'm sure you will find one... you do it exactly the same way as you would with other semis, hold the weapon with your good hand and use an object (table edge, belt, other solid objects, etc..) against the muzzle to rack the slide;)

I'm always confused by this one as, how would you rack the slide one handed without the grip safety... uh the same way you would with the grip safety:cool:

Maybe someone can enlighten me of another way to rack the slide with only one hand that doesnt involve HOLDING the weapon in your hand???????

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was more surprised by the guys that kind of said that they aren't and shouldn't be used as duty pistols? What defines a "duty" pistol?

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
There have been quite a few videos posted in here dispelling the rumor that you cant rack the slide with one hand on an XD/XDm:rolleyes:

Do a quick search on youtube and I'm sure you will find one... you do it exactly the same way as you would with other semis, hold the weapon with your good hand and use an object (table edge, belt, other solid objects, etc..) against the muzzle to rack the slide;)

I'm always confused by this one as, how would you rack the slide one handed without the grip safety... uh the same way you would with the grip safety:cool:

Maybe someone can enlighten me of another way to rack the slide with only one hand that doesnt involve HOLDING the weapon in your hand???????
Put the weapon in between your legs (mussel down obv :) ) and hold the weapon with your knees. I personally prefer the solid edge method.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I was more surprised by the guys that kind of said that they aren't and shouldn't be used as duty pistols? What defines a "duty" pistol?
Its not a real word in the sense of weapons... kind of like "assault", "tactical", "combat", "sniper"... it really just describes the situation you are in when using the weapon.

A revolver used by LEO could be described as a "duty" weapon, any long rifle used for long range accurate shooting could be described as a "sniper" weapon, any weapon used in warfare could be described as a "combat" weapon, any weapon used in tactical situations could be described as a "tactical" weapon;)

So its not the weapon, its the situation its used in... generally there are standards for performance that people judge how well any given weapon will perform in those situations, thus declaring them "insert adjective" weapons.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Put the weapon in between your legs (mussel down obv :) ) and hold the weapon with your knees. I personally prefer the solid edge method.
LOL, between the legs, good one... maybe I should have included the word 'practical' when I asked that question:p... I definitely cant think of any other practical ways to do it one handed without actually holding it in your hand:confused:

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
LOL, between the legs, good one... maybe I should have included the word 'practical' when I asked that question:p... I definitely cant think of any other practical ways to do it one handed without actually holding it in your hand:confused:
But you didn't. :D:D

I'm with you on this one. Kind of hard to rack it without holding it in your hand.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I have owned a few other handguns before buying my XDm.

I wasn't into weapons and didn't buy them for any reason other than to have it. show off piece. whatever. I was young then and different mindset.

years later, I felt like I needed a handgun. a "defense and protection" type deal. I got serious about it and researched them did homework and a lot of reading different places. I fell in love with the XDm. I love the .40 round.

the handguns I owned before I bought used off someone I knew and honestly I don't think I ever bought ammo for them let alone fired them before I sold them. I just wasn't into it.

my XDm has less than 250 rounds through it.

100 165gr WWB FMJ
99 185gr UMC JHP
34 135gr ranger JHP

the weapon had 1 fail to feed and that was a malformed remington hollow point.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to shoot more often. I have had some strange trigger occurrences I have yet to bring up here because I don't really have very many rounds through it yet. after 1000 rounds if I still have that occurrence happen I will get opinions but I want to be fair to the weapon and get nice and used to it before I start a "complain about the trigger" thread.

its not a reliability issue as much a comfort issue but may be a sign of something wrong mechanically. < maybe I will make that thread after all. :oops:

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
But you didn't. :D:D

I'm with you on this one. Kind of hard to rack it without holding it in your hand.
Yeah it makes all the haters sound like they have a valid point... until you realize (by common sense) that the point they made is not valid:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 146 Posts