Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to give a shout out to Gavin Hodge (aka Firearm Holsters). I just purchased a kydex/leather IWB/OWB holster for my SA XD9 Service from him. Looks great, XD9 fits perfectly, great construction, extremely fast shipping.

Looks like the old website has been long retired. I came across his holsters while perusing eBay, couldn't find one in his listings for a 4" XD9 so I messaged him and he quickly answered back. I ordered it on a Friday, it was mailed first class on a Saturday, and USPS delivered it to the left coast on Monday (due to the quirkiness of the USPS the delivery time can vary wildly).

Here is a link to his holsters on Gavin's eBay listings

Here are some pix.

Handgun holster Font Auto part Strap Personal protective equipment
Sleeve Bicycle part Fashion accessory Auto part Metal
Product Handgun holster Material property Personal protective equipment Webbing
Grey Denim Tints and shades Electric blue Auto part
Grey Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Wood

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi,

The price on the listing was what I paid—$25 plus sales tax for a black iwb/owb holster. Not sure how much margin there is for profit. Definitely a quality holster!
That looks a lot like my Alien Gear OWB holster, but at half the price. Is it comfortable for an AIWB carry? Looks a little bulky. Thanks.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

·
Registered
787 Posts
There is a thread on here somewhere where a lot of people were buying his holsters. Tons of pics. Back then you could choose colors of materials including thread, also double stitching. Real nice stuff. It appears now maybe he's cut costs by only doing black.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have two of his holsters and they have been in service for at least 7 or 8 years plus. My M&P9c rides in one of his IWB's as an EDC gun.

Unfortunately, the holster I have for my XDMc from him never felt quite right for IWB EDC, so that is now my OWB holster or IWB if in cooler weather when I have a t-shirt on. The XDMc rides in a BlackArch holster. That one was almost triple the cost, and no better for quality.

Gavin makes some GREAT stuff, glad he is still doing the holsters. As a LONG time owner and customer of his, highly recommend his stuff. Not sure if the new ones are different in quality, but his early ones were sure awesome for the price!!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a thread on here somewhere where a lot of people were buying his holsters. Tons of pics. Back then you could choose colors of materials including thread, also double stitching. Real nice stuff. It appears now maybe he's cut costs by only doing black.
You could message him to see if he could customize the thread and stitching. From the eBay listings it looks like brown leather is $30, black $25. He was very prompt in responding to my messages.

The profit margin isn't my concern or for me to worry about but if your backing this man's product and at that price I'm ordering 1 soon 😉
Hi,

That looks a lot like my Alien Gear OWB holster, but at half the price. Is it comfortable for an AIWB carry? Looks a little bulky. Thanks.

BassCliff
I am a total novice at this. Mike--this is my first foray into holsters for XD9s--price is reasonable, build quality seems good, but again I am not a holster reviewer.

I am not as tall as you Cliff, so AIWB will only work if I don't bend over or sit (or maybe walk or even breathe deeply). Seems to fit at 3, 4 or 5 o'clock wearing 501's--may have different fit with looser or stretchy jeans. With 501s and a loose t-shirt, holster and contents are not detectable. Again I do not have a whole lot of past/present experience with holsters either IWB or OWB. My previous holster experience was with a Browning Buckmark--not too many options for that.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi,

BassCliff
Howdy Cliff!

Hope all is well with you and the family in your ammo and CCW travels.

Doubtful this holster will serve as a good appendix carry holster. Those tend to be 0 degrees cant and fairly slim. You’d want a very specific holster style for appendix carry. I haven’t found much for AIWB for the XD line. Ive seen more for the XD-s or XD-m etc models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Great to hear he's back in business. I bought one of his holsters several years back and like it a lot. Quality and well built holster. I was about to order another one when he suddenly disappeared. The one I have is for the XDm 3.8 Compact 45 ACP. It was 7 or 8 years ago but I'm pretty sure I paid more than $25 for it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi guys!

I am not as tall as you Cliff, so AIWB will only work if I don't bend over or sit (or maybe walk or even breathe deeply). Seems to fit at 3, 4 or 5 o'clock wearing 501's--may have different fit with looser or stretchy jeans. With 501s and a loose t-shirt, holster and contents are not detectable. Again I do not have a whole lot of past/present experience with holsters either IWB or OWB. My previous holster experience was with a Browning Buckmark--not too many options for that.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I really appreciate it. I'm just an old noob too, looking to learn from everyone. I've got a couple of holsters now, still looking for "the" holster. At this price and with the maker's reputation I'm seriously considering one just because it might come in handy for some applications.

I use an AG Cloak Tuck IWB for my Shield and XD9, very comfortable.

Not sure about AIWB, I carry 4:00.
Thanks! I've practiced at 3:00 and 4:00 with my Alien Gear Cloak Belt Holster (OWB) a couple times at the range. It's a nice holster and will do nicely in some situations. I'd also like to have a good AIWB that is comfy, conceals well, holds its shape, with good retention, etc. Hence my continued window shopping.

Howdy Cliff!

Hope all is well with you and the family in your ammo and CCW travels.

Doubtful this holster will serve as a good appendix carry holster. Those tend to be 0 degrees cant and fairly slim. You’d want a very specific holster style for appendix carry. I haven’t found much for AIWB for the XD line. Ive seen more for the XD-s or XD-m etc models.
Howdy! Family is good, ammo hunting is going pretty well, and the CCW looks like it might actually happen. (Haven't been rejected yet.) I'll know more in a week or so. Thanks for asking. Gavin's holsters look like they have a pretty good cant adjustment but I was curious about the bulk of it trying to use it as AIWB. Thanks to the OP (@clueless88) for sharing his experiences. ;)

Great to hear he's back in business! I still have mine from years ago.

@BassCliff try a Harwell Clip n Go or a Crossbreed AIWB holster.
Thanks! I appreciate the recommendations. (And thanks to @clueless88 again for letting me hijack his thread for just a little bit.) I picked up a Relentless Tactical Defender Leather IWB that is really comfortable. I've been practicing with it AIWB and it's very comfy standing, sitting, bending, etc. The only thing I don't like about it is the difficulty re-holstering. Being leather it does not hold its shape when the XD is removed so it basically takes two hands to re-holster. I guess I'm looking for a small kydex holster with a good belt clip. I'll have a look at the Harwell and Crossbreed units. Thank you.

OK, I'll stop yammering on and let @clueless88 tell us about his holster when he has a chance to take it for a test drive. Cool beans. :cool:

BassCliff

Reactions: clueless88

·
Registered
642 Posts
So after trying to order 1 after a few days. I just found out that my ebay account has been suspended. I can't get a straight answer why but what ever I stop shopping on ebay years ago. I don't really care to try and fix or setup a new ebay account. Does this gentleman have a online site? Or any other way of ordering?

·
Registered
I can't possibly list them.
20 Posts
Just wanted to give a shout out to Gavin Hodge (aka Firearm Holsters). I just purchased a kydex/leather IWB/OWB holster for my SA XD9 Service from him. Looks great, XD9 fits perfectly, great construction, extremely fast shipping.

Looks like the old website has been long retired. I came across his holsters while perusing eBay, couldn't find one in his listings for a 4" XD9 so I messaged him and he quickly answered back. I ordered it on a Friday, it was mailed first class on a Saturday, and USPS delivered it to the left coast on Monday (due to the quirkiness of the USPS the delivery time can vary wildly).

Here is a link to his holsters on Gavin's eBay listings

Here are some pix.

. View attachment 840687 View attachment 840688 View attachment 840689 View attachment 840690 View attachment 840691
Thanks for the post.
I just looked through his stock and I think there is one to accommodate my XD-S Mod 2.
I've sent a message to be sure.
Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts