Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some information on gasoline storage, both for home (generator) use and some type of container to keep in a car, if it even exists.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
No offense, but go right past the stabil and look at the PRI Products - PRI-G for.gasoline. many different containers available, try emergencyessentials or thereadystore...I've bought PRI products from nitropak in the past also.

·
Registered
19,878 Posts
get gas without alcohol in it if you can. honestly, I think the crap about old gas is way overplayed, unless you NEED high octane for an engined tuned right to the ragged edge. After I crashed my bike (some idiot ran a stop sign), I drain gas out of it for 3 years worth of lawn mowing (small lawn)

·
Registered
360 Posts
My suggestion would be to convert your generator to propane, or buy one setup for propane if you don't have one already. It's far cheaper, and stores as long as you keep the nozzle turned off.

It reduces the amount of things that you would have to worry about immediately after a STHF scenario and gives more fuel for your transportation when you need to use it.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Well, if you just want to store more than a gallon or two for the lawn mower, it's probably a good idea to put gas in a shed, away from other buildings, and that doesn't get over heated in the summer. Might even want to call your local FD and check on any regs they have in place for storage of gas. Most municipalities have codes for storing gasoline. You might get ticketed, sued, etc, and your insurance might not pay, if you're storing a bunch of gasoline, it ignites, and burns your house down (and maybe the neighbor's house, too).

Depending on what you want to spend, you can get some five gallon cans, or storage tanks that will store hundreds of gallons (you can usually find those at farm supply stores).

The gas stabilizers won't hurt, but most small generators will handle old gas.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Modern gas absolutely stinks for storage. Even with products like stabil, it won't last very long. We're talking months at best even with stabilizers. Less if you are in a hot moist climate.

If you want long term energy storage - go diesel. It will last a lot longer than gas and has 50% more energy content than an equivalent volume of propane. The storage container for diesel is also a LOT less weight than that for propane. Diesel is also a lot less dangerous than gasoline or propane -- much lower chance of accidental fire or explosion. You can often find 265gal fuel oil tanks for cheap or even free.

·
Registered
741 Posts
No offense, but go right past the stabil and look at the PRI Products - PRI-G for.gasoline. many different containers available, try emergencyessentials or thereadystore...I've bought PRI products from nitropak in the past also.

Why PRI instead of StaBil? I keep reading people saying this, but no justification given.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Buy a cheesy scooter. Seriously.. After a hurricane/tornadoes/etc it will get 100+mpg and is light enough that you can just pick it up and carry it over a downed tree if you need to get by.

·
Registered
17,741 Posts
Believe it or not...

Marvels Mystery Oil!

Stabilizes fuel for 2 years...and lubricates the valves and dissolves the sludge in the carbs and stuff!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts