Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I was cleaning my S&W today and I held the upper with the muzzle down and took some rem-oil in a can with the straw attachment and sprayed rem oil through the gas tube. I just wanted to clean out a little of the carbon that might be in the tube. I figured the cleaner would dribble out of the muzzle end through the gas tube, but it came out everywhere.

There was liquid on the quad rail, around the delta ring and the front of the upper and also all around the gas block up front.

I've never cleaned the gas tube before, so I haven't seen his before. I don't have any issues with the gun running and I have never removed the gas block, tube or barrel.

Any ideas?

-Tim

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well, I wouldn't put oil down your gas tube to begin with, I'd spray some bore blaster down it and shove a pipe cleaner as far as it can go.

As far as it leaking all over the place... Around your delta ring, it probably just leaked around the outside of the gas tube. It's very possible that's all that's going on with the rest of the oil being everywhere.

If it was coming out from between the barrel and your gas block/sight base, then the gun doesn't seal up very well. I've never experienced this myself so I don't know what to advise. If it's running fine I wouldn't worry about it.

Just keep oil out of that tube.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I wouldn't try to clean it. Period.

It's pretty much self-cleaning.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the comments, I went back and used solvent and cleaned the gas tube to remove all of the oil.

As far as the gas block not sealing very well, I will watch it and see if gas looks to be leaking from there.

-Tim

·
Registered
838 Posts
Agree that it is pretty much "self cleaning" but an occassional reaming with a pipecleaner dipped in solvent (NOT oil or clp) is not a bad idea. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
ooooo, I aint gonna lecture you because you know by now I am sure, anyway the gas tube has around 30,000 psi so it pretty much self cleans, but the rem-oil is the main concern, It could gunk up inside there, I recommend just spraying some Hoppes bore blaster in it because it evaporates and leaves no mess behind. That way it will evaporate the rem-oil you put down in her. She should be fine though, firing it will most likely blow the oil out as well, well it will. Later brother

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ooooo, I aint gonna lecture you because you know by now I am sure, anyway the gas tube has around 30,000 psi so it pretty much self cleans, but the rem-oil is the main concern, It could gunk up inside there, I recommend just spraying some Hoppes bore blaster in it because it evaporates and leaves no mess behind. That way it will evaporate the rem-oil you put down in her. She should be fine though, firing it will most likely blow the oil out as well, well it will. Later brother
Thanks man. I cleaned out the rem oil with some bore blaster, should be clear or residue now.

-Tim

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Thanks man. I cleaned out the rem oil with some bore blaster, should be clear or residue now.

-Tim
No problem Tim, glad you got it clear.
-Peter

·
Registered
791 Posts
i'm glad i just read this...i was gonna clean my gas tube the other day but didnt know if it really needed it. self cleaning sounds pretty good, wish my whole gun was like that.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
If you feel like you need to clean the gas tube I would use brake cleaner and a pipe cleaner. If you do so, I would spray it with the muzzle in the air and pack the upper receiver with a wash cloth so any excess will not enter the barrel and what does drip out will land on the wash cloth. Brake cleaner is some nasty stuff but like alcohol, it disipates and leaves no residue.

CAUTION! Brake Cleaner is flammable so make sure you let the rifle sit a while so all the cleaner will dissipate before you run any rounds through it.

But I am sure you can use any bore cleaner with a pipe cleaner...this may be a safer method.

·
Registered
838 Posts
If you feel like you need to clean the gas tube I would use brake cleaner and a pipe cleaner. If you do so, I would spray it with the muzzle in the air and pack the upper receiver with a wash cloth so any excess will not enter the barrel and what does drip out will land on the wash cloth. Brake cleaner is some nasty stuff but like alcohol, it disipates and leaves no residue.

CAUTION! Brake Cleaner is flammable so make sure you let the rifle sit a while so all the cleaner will dissipate before you run any rounds through it.

But I am sure you can use any bore cleaner with a pipe cleaner...this may be a safer method.
There are two types of brake cleaner. Chlorinated and non chlorinated. IF you choose to use it, make sure it is non chlorinated as the plastic/polimers that chlorinated brake cleaner comes in contact with may discolor or be otherwise degraded. Other than that, it is a good solvent/cleaner and evaporates rapidly.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
There are two types of brake cleaner. Chlorinated and non chlorinated. IF you choose to use it, make sure it is non chlorinated as the plastic/polimers that chlorinated brake cleaner comes in contact with may discolor or be otherwise degraded. Other than that, it is a good solvent/cleaner and evaporates rapidly.
Yes, I totally forgot to mention that. thanks for bringing it up. :cool:

I always use the non chlorinated anyway since the fumes from brake cleaner are pretty nasty...so with that said, make sure you are in a well ventilated area when using it and I might suggest wearing nitrile gloves to keep it off your hands.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
There is no reason what so ever to clean the gas tube.
IF it needs cleaned, it is time to buy a new one.

·
Registered
744 Posts
There is no reason what so ever to clean the gas tube.
IF it needs cleaned, it is time to buy a new one.
After taking mine off and completely cleaning it with a pipe cleaner I have to agree.

3 years without cleaning, and just a tiny bit of loose soot.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Well, ok, I'll give you that. .22LR uppers are a totally different animal.
Not a .22LR upper, a conversion kit.

Mine came from Brownells, MFG'd by CMMG but has the Brownells name on it. Uses the standard blackdog .22LR kit magazines.

Put nearly 2 bricks of .22LR thru it in the last week, never could afford that with XM193, even tho I got some at $0.34 a round

1 - 19 of 19 Posts