Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i am saving my money to get a good gas piston system for my AR-15
any suggestions out their i now a few but i realy want to now how reliable they really are i had heard they keep the chamber cool and keep most of the dirt out so can it handle Wolf ammo because is dirty or silver bear(zinc over steel) its cleaner but it still a steel casings ????
i can use help on this one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I also would like to drop in a piston system in an AR. But it won't be for a long time. Maybe my third or fourth build.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If I was in the market for a gas piston conversion kit, I would buy this one made by CMMG.

PK Firearms | Online Store

The reason I like it is that it is produced by a major AR-15 manufacturer, it is well-designed, and it is well-executed. I have not fired one but I pawed one pretty good at a gunshow. This was a complete CMMG gas piston carbine assembled at the factory and it was very well put together. The gas block is strong and substantial with locking allen bolts and set screws. The gas block Weaver rail was as tall as the upper receiver's flat top rail. Make sure any kit that you buy has the key block machined as one piece with the carrier (not a separate screwed on piece like an AR-15's gas key). It gets a good whack by the piston rod, so it must be one piece in order to hold up to the punishment. The carbine had extra fat hand grips to clear the piston rod.

The reason I am not in the market for this kit is that the only AR-15 I own with a short carbine gas system already has a nice Samson Star-C free float quad rail that I doubt would have enough clearance for the piston rod. All my other AR-15's have midlength gas systems.

I would love to buy a CMMG gas piston (factory assembled and tested) complete upper, but have not found one yet.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
^+1
i like cmmg and they make great stuff and would gladly get one of theirs

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
If I was in the market for a gas piston conversion kit, I would buy this one made by CMMG.

The reason I like it is that it is produced by a major AR-15 manufacturer, it is well-designed, and it is well-executed. I have not fired one but I pawed one pretty good at a gunshow. This was a complete CMMG gas piston carbine assembled at the factory and it was very well put together. The gas block is strong and substantial with locking allen bolts and set screws. The gas block Weaver rail was as tall as the upper receiver's flat top rail. Make sure any kit that you buy has the key block machined as one piece with the carrier (not a separate screwed on piece like an AR-15's gas key). It gets a good whack by the piston rod, so it must be one piece in order to hold up to the punishment. The carbine had extra fat hand grips to clear the piston rod.

The reason I am not in the market for this kit is that the only AR-15 I own with a short carbine gas system already has a nice Samson Star-C free float quad rail that I doubt would have enough clearance for the piston rod. All my other AR-15's have midlength gas systems.

I would love to buy a CMMG gas piston (factory assembled and tested) complete upper, but have not found one yet.
Yeah, that kit doesn't look like it will fit under any free floats. Even the other one listed above doesn't look like I could have the free floats I want with it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

i will look in to that one thanks for the link the the pic that help out

·
Super Moderator
22,244 Posts
do you need a smith to install these?

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I USE to WANT a gas piston, but I'm staying with DI.

I ordered a complete LMT CQB MRP upper and had the option to do the LMT piston on it, but I opted not to. Since it was going to be on a 16" barreled rifle.

Now, when I get my stamp for my SBR and my stamp for my suppressor, I MIGHT want to do a gas piston conversion on that rifle. But I'll keep all my other ones as DI.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Whomever comes out with the first retro fit system for the AR-10 gets my money. I'm hoping Adams Arms does because I really like their system and you can install it at home with very little effort. The AR-15 system even fits under most quad rails with no modifications.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how is a piston going to keep your chamber cool? :lol:
i saw a video wher a guy was using a piston system and he took the bolt out it was not hot they guy seed the oil on the bolt wood last longer
so i guess you dont have to oil it that much i dont now i just want to now more before i spend the money

1 - 20 of 39 Posts