Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered Troy Battle Sights for the front and the rear. So I'm going to need to get a gas block. I just don't have any idea which one to get. I'm a noob when it comes to ARs. I was looking at the PRI but don't know what's good and what's not. What would work the best? This is my set-up as of right now ... So any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's these sights so it'll be mounted on the hand guard.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Is the front sight going to be mounted on the gas block or handguard?
That's what I was about to ask. If the front sight is to be mounted on the GB, then you need to get a GB that has a rail adapter that is the same height as your handguard rails.

Another option you could have done is buy a nine inch rail, with a low profile gas block and have the rail go past the gas block and then your troy front sight will be the needed height to properly sight in.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
It's these sights so it'll be mounted on the hand guard.

Personally, I would've just bought the rear sight and kept the FSB. Unless you are planning on putting a magnified scope... Actually even with a magnified scope, the FSB will more than likely not be in the way of your f.o.v. You could've saved yourself about 200 bucks by just buying the rear sight and sticking with the FSB. But, it's your gear, you do as you please. Just giving ya my opinion.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
That's what I was about to ask. If the front sight is to be mounted on the GB, then you need to get a GB that has a rail adapter that is the same height as your handguard rails.

Another option you could have done is buy a nine inch rail, with a low profile gas block and have the rail go past the gas block and then your troy front sight will be the needed height to properly sight in.
Or you could buy a front sight that is made for gas block rails. My MI flip up is made for the shorter gas block rails, so it's taller then a HG mount.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Or you could buy a front sight that is made for gas block rails. My MI flip up is made for the shorter gas block rails, so it's taller then a HG mount.
True, but I think he's trying to keep the sights the same brand. I know he didn't state that but that's the vibe I'm getting... LOL man, what am I smoking?!?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really don't care about keeping them the same brand but I like the Troys, so that's why I went with them. I was just going to mount it on my hand guard that I've got now. I just need to find a gas block that I can mount the sight on the hand guard. I might not be against finding one that mounts to the gas block if it's the same height as the hand guard, either.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I just ordered Troy Battle Sights for the front and the rear. So I'm going to need to get a gas block. I just don't have any idea which one to get. I'm a noob when it comes to ARs. I was looking at the PRI but don't know what's good and what's not. What would work the best? This is my set-up as of right now ... So any help would be much appreciated.

Thumper are you planning on keeping your handguards?

if yes, you can go with a railed Gasblock which can run from 30-70$ depending on how many rails are provided.

if you plan on getting a new set of handguards now or later, I'd go with a low profile gasblock. that way you can get longer handguards and completely cover up your gasblock, this also allows you a longer sight radius because you can move the front sight further forward.

MI, DPMS, YHM, Vltor and plenty others make different kinds of railed and low profile gasblocks.

I remember someone saying that you want a pinned gasblock rather than a set screw gasblock or clamped gasblock... I'm sure Mvician will be along to correct me on this. :D

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As of right now I'm going to keep my hand guards. So, I'd like to go with the scenario. I just need to know which brand, where to buy it, etc.

Thanks for all of your help guys. :D

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Get whatever floats your boat, but for future options I would go with a low profile one, and not a railed block.

The PRI is a great choice, as would be a Samsom, LaRue, ect.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have a link to the Larue gas block? I looked on their website and couldn't find it.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was looking at the Larue gas block and noticed they've got different sizes. Which one do I need?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I was looking at the Larue gas block and noticed they've got different sizes. Which one do I need?

standard barrel - LT202-1: LaRue Low Profile Gas Block - 0.75" AR15
lightweight barrel - LT202-2: LaRue Low Profile Gas Block - 0.625" AR15

the other 2 gasblocks are for AR10s

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm assuming you measure the outside of the barrel where it's fat. Not the skinnier piece in the middle, right? If so, than I got .75 which would make sense. I just don't want to order the wrong piece !!

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
yep, measure the diameter at the FSB....should be .750

M4 barrels, Hbars, and most other barrels except the "pencil" barrels are .750 diameter. The pencils are .625 and Bull barrels are much bigger.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts