Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to switch out the low profile gas block that came on my DPMS Oracle with a standard A2 FSB. I don't see how to get the A2 to attach, the barrel has two indentations for the set screws on the low profile and the A2 attaches with the two pins. Is this sight incompatible with this barrel? Do I need to drill out the sides of one of the indentations to allow the pin to slide through? I'm completely new to the AR world, any input would be appreciated. I have proved pictures below.

Barrel

Old gas block

New gas block

·
Registered
793 Posts
Well, I'm not nearly educated enough about this particular issue. With that stated, what I would do is put the old block back on, return the new one and get a flip up one from Troy or something similar. That just seems the easiest solution to me.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I am trying to switch out the low profile gas block that came on my DPMS Oracle with a standard A2 FSB. I don't see how to get the A2 to attach, the barrel has two indentations for the set screws on the low profile and the A2 attaches with the two pins. Is this sight incompatible with this barrel? Do I need to drill out the sides of one of the indentations to allow the pin to slide through? I'm completely new to the AR world, any input would be appreciated. I have proved pictures below.

Barrel

Old gas block

New gas block
It looks like your barrel is designed to use only the gas block that came with the rifle.

The barrel that uses your new gas block would have slots in the barrel for the pins.

don

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you are determined to DIY I would order something like this
A2 GUN CLAMP-ON SIGHT KIT

I've used this particular sight in similar situation and it works fine, best bet have a competent gunsmith attach your standard sight. Best of luck

·
Registered
747 Posts
The above advice of either sending it out or buying a clamp on version of the A2 sight is probably the most appropriate. However, just so you know what goes into it, you would need to drill holes across the bottom of your barrel to allow for retainer pins to be pushed through the holes on the a2 block base and through the bottom of your barrel, keeping the block straight and attached. This is probably something you would not want to do yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys. I just got the A2 sight from a friend, so I didn't lose any money on it. I'll just invest in a flip-up sight to attach to the railed gas block. I was just trying to avoid putting $70+ down on a front sight. Maybe I will just save up and get an extended carbine FF rail and put my Magpul MBUS on the front end of the handguard. Too bad I can't attach the MBUS to the gas block.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Typically, if your barrel is machined to accept a micro-gas-block, it won't accept an A2 "F" Gas Block & Sight Post.

If your barrel, like mine, came with an A2 GB/FSP, you *can* mount a low profile block as long as the block will fit the standard A2-length taper pin cuts in the barrel.

If you're dead set on a classic-style front sight block, it *may* be easier to just swap out the barrel itself; it's pretty easy to find a carbine-length barrel in 0.75" with standard pin mounts.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
You could also simply get a tap and 4 screws and thread the holes in the FSB so you can use set screws in it instead of taper pins.

That way you get what you want, and don't have to worry about milling the barrel

·
Registered
838 Posts
You could also simply get a tap and 4 screws and thread the holes in the FSB so you can use set screws in it instead of taper pins.

That way you get what you want, and don't have to worry about milling the barrel
Don't think so. The screws would still hit the bottom of the bbl.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Perhaps you are not understanding.

The set screws are supposed to touch the barrel. That's how the front sight will secure to the barrel.

But you wouldn't have to do any machine work to the barrel itself. Just thread the 4 holes that already exist for taper pins on the front sight base and put screws in them.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Perhaps you are not understanding.

The set screws are supposed to touch the barrel. That's how the front sight will secure to the barrel.

But you wouldn't have to do any machine work to the barrel itself. Just thread the 4 holes that already exist for taper pins on the front sight base and put screws in them.
I understood. Looking at his FSB, the holes for the pins are higher than would work with screws , IMHO. It is made for a drilled bbl. for a pinned front sight. IMO, the screws would have to cut the bbl and don't think that will happen without some machining of the bbl.

Maybe not. Going by visual and experience screwing things up (years and years ago, of course!:razz:).

A little checking seems to indicate you would need to do more than just tap the base holes out and screw it on............................http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/ProcInstallFrontSightBase

1 - 13 of 13 Posts