Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if any of you fine folks here in XD land have any gardens, small or large, raised or not. What are you growing? Right now I have tomatoes, peppers, and basil going. this is my first attempt at growing any food so i'm expecting disaster but its a start.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've actually got one going... first attempt, but everything is growing like weeds...

Sweet Basil, Tomatoes, Cherry Tomatoes, Grape Tomatoes, Parsley, Cayenne Peppers, Bell peppers, strawberries, Green Onions and a lemon tree....

I never pictured my self doing anything like this.. but it's so damn rewarding whenever I can just go outside and get what I need to cook/eat.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
We're waiting to start the backyard veg garden. Still under threat of freeze / frost at night. Supposed to hit 34-36 tonight infact.

On a plot of land there is a 3.5 acre food plot that has been limed, tilled and planted for deer. I keep it limed in case a need for a higher quantity of food is ever needed

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
I just planted a small orchard, a couple grape vines and some berry bushes.

My dad takes gardening to the next level. Getting ready to fence in a 2nd Acre with deer height fencing.....over 10' :shock:

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I have the heirloom seeds but might be another year beofre I have a house with a yard to plant. I can't wait to start. There are some good permaculture tips at www.thesurvivalpodcast.com if you search back episodes.

·
Registered
532 Posts
We do a garden every year, about 24 tomato plants, 45. feet of okra, 30 feet of bush beans, 4 brussels sprouts, 6 pepper plants, several mounds of zucchini, 15 feet of swiss chard, 12 young raspberry bushes (just separated them this year), and we grow spinaich, lettuce, dill, parsley, oregano, basil and rosemary is our raised flower beds.

We have our old faithfuls, but we like to try new things, we're starting an asparagus plot this year, and we are constantly changing the size, and shape of the garden, along with "specimen plantings" on a whim. My favorite thing about gardening is figureing out new ways to do it better.

I used to crowd the tomatos and underplant lettuce in their shade, this year I spread the tomatos out so that I could run a tiller between the cages, and moved the lettuce to the flower beds. Anyone who doesn't like gardening hasn't realized how much they can accomplish.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If I had the space, and didn't have to support a big fam, id have multiple acres planted,, like Groo's dad.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am attempting some this year. Tomatoes, peppers and cilantro.

Tomato plant is kinda growing, cilantro grew like a weed and the pepper plant is also kinda growing.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have just a small backyard garden, but i am growing basil, cilantro, thyme, stevia, lemon balm, mint, roses, pansies, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, grapes, lettuce, radishes, bellpeppers, lavender, tomatillos, okra, snow peas, majoram, water melon, pumpkins and squash, and broccoli and cauliflower. So far so good, been harvesting since march so far....started majority from seeds. Oh i have eggplant sprouting now too. (unknown kind, it was a variety pack) My grapevine is over 10 ft now too, it's growing like crazy

·
Registered
532 Posts
MrsArmyGuy45, how do you use your stevia?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow nice to hear i'm not the only one. i really hope i get some good tomatoes, but my worry is they wont last in the harsh Az sun. I placed their pots in an area where i am hoping that they wont get to much sun, meaning i placed them where they should be blocked from direct sun from a tree for at least 4-6 hours.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
36 plants of 3 different varieties of tomatoes - Big Beef, Mortgage Lifter, Brandywine Black. 3 jalapuenos, 3 Bell pepper plants. I grow the tomatoes for a traditional family recipe pizza sauce and salsa.

·
Registered
782 Posts
36 plants of 3 different varieties of tomatoes - Big Beef, Mortgage Lifter, Brandywine Black. 3 jalapuenos, 3 Bell pepper plants. I grow the tomatoes for a traditional family recipe pizza sauce and salsa.
JD, If you don't mind sharing...what is your salsa recipe? I know it's to early for my Early Girl tomatoes but the store bought are getting better until the 4th of July when my 1st tomatoes arrive.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Wow nice to hear i'm not the only one. i really hope i get some good tomatoes, but my worry is they wont last in the harsh Az sun. I placed their pots in an area where i am hoping that they wont get to much sun, meaning i placed them where they should be blocked from direct sun from a tree for at least 4-6 hours.
Sun won't be a problem, water will.
I grew tomatos in pots once, they had to be watered twice a day to grow right. They did ok, but nothing like real soil.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Just came inside, flopped on couch, checking out XDT...

I was outside building 4 more raised beds - to go with the rows of soil I tilled yesterday along the fencelines. On that topic - anyone have good experience with a rototiller? I had nothing but issues - the tiller itself worked fantastic (nicely maintained and full instructions from Home Depot rental) but it seemed to lack enough weight to work well. I found it constantly pulled me (and I am what is considered a pretty good sized guy at 6' 245) and was almost uncontrollable - either I had to fight it to stay in place and till, or it rolled forward over, as opposed to through, the ground. I should add that our soil is pretty darned good, not clay, not rock, just good albeit compacted backyard garden soil.

As to planting - this year:
Fenceline North is Permaculture with fruits and trees (Peaches, Kiwi, Blueberry, Strawberry, Hazelnut, Raspberry.)
Fenceline West is Three Sisters (Corn, Bean, Squash - and throw in a few mounds for Watermelon, Honeydew, and miscellaneous onions)
Corner SouthWest is Potatoes
Fenceline South is Pole Beans and Peas
Beds are for veggies - tomato, beet, onion, kale, lettuce, pepper, daikon, carrot,
Pots on deck are for herbs

Considering:
More permaculture
Install of a rocket mass heater between beds, and then a hoop house over them to grow year round.

I view gardening as a skill, a shtf must, and a meditation - I don't take my phone into the bathroom, and I leave it inside when I am in the garden. Its my peace, my quiet, my sanity - well that and a glass with two cubes and two fingers of scotch. We all have our own methods...

Oh, someone above asked for a salsa recipe. I think, you will find that especially using real vegetables from your garden that aren't commercially grown homogenous crud, that you will have to adjust your salsa depending on the flavors of the veggies, and your tastes - no single recipe will account for variations in flavors between tomato varieties, pungencies of various onions, and heat of various peppers (which is also affected by level of ripeness depending on when you pick!)

Basic Pico de Gallo (which is chunky salsa pre-blending)
4-5 medium tomatos chopped
1 medium to large-ish onion chopped
3 garlic bulbs (not full heads) minced
1/2 lemon squeezed (try to strain out seeds, one easy way is to squeeze through cheesecloth)
1 hot pepper or 2 medium, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
You can do something slightly fun by adding a SWEET peach, and then upping the heat a bit (yes, hot and sweet as opposed to salty and sweet; you will likely find that homegrown tomatos have plenty of sodium)

That recipe is a starting point, again, when you have home grown veggies so full of flavor, it becomes apparent that its a rough outline, not by any means a very precise blueprint - heck, its meant to be eaten with chips and beer, don't be afraid of experimenting and having fun with it!!!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
We also have loads of wild plumb trees and a 50+ apple orchard and about 50' of grape vines. I've got about a case or so of "apple wine" that I put up in beer bottles. It's STRONG at about 15% but has a good taste, especially with 50% sprite on ice. Easy to do with a home brew setup and an apple press.

There are also sources of foods you may not think of. Pilgrims and the indians used to collect acorns and pound them into flour. Squirrels will also come by that tree so will other edible critters! Other nut trees can also produce a lot of long lasting food.

Don't forget to also plant herbs. Food's pretty bland without spices. Most herbs will grow like weeds. Plant them in out of the way areas "just in case".

Now If I can locate a single row corn picker, get a manual corn sheller and a manual mill (for cheap) I'll be happier!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts