Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this week I had lunch with an old shooting buddy. We use to shoot "service rifle" competition with M-1 Garands years ago. He has kept up, but I stopped a decade ago.

He was amused by newer shooters that are perplexed when their Garands that were zeroed and shooting MOA a few months ago, now are spreading shoots all over the target. A newer shooter will start checking the ammo and the loading data. He suggested that the shooter first be sure the gas cylinder lock is tight. The lock can come loose over a short period of time and accuracy will suffer. He suggested that a gas lock check be routine before any match or shooting session. Being sure the front swivel screw is tight will also help.

When I returned home after lunch and checked my Garand that hasn't been shot in years. Yup gas cylinder lock was loose!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
When I first received my Garand I took her completley down to clean and found grease in alot of places (trigger group was the hardest) but I found that the GC lock did not time correctly so I peened the top spline and then threaded on the lock until I was able to see the gas port in the center of the cutout and it was about 12 turns, the GC being loose is a big thing that M1\M14\M1A shooters overlook not always but alot of the time and this can be fixed very easily with limited skill and tools.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts