Which garage door do I buy?

• Insulated?

• Non insulated?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My garage door is in need of replacment. Im curious if I should replace it with a cheap non insulated one or a insulated one.. Your thoughts..

·
Registered
346 Posts
Depends on your house...is your garage itself (walls, roof, etc) insulated? Do you have any air conditioning in said room?

The way the house I'm in is designed, the garage isn't insulated (as far as I am aware) and there is no air conditioning in it, nor the utility room between the garage and house (which includes the hot water heater, washer/drier, and a large freezer, all of which add significant heat to the small room). In THIS house, I'd say uninsulated door (assuming it's cheaper, as logic dictates, then the insulated versions); it just makes more sense.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends on your house...is your garage itself (walls, roof, etc) insulated? Do you have any air conditioning in said room?

The way the house I'm in is designed, the garage isn't insulated (as far as I am aware) and there is no air conditioning in it, nor the utility room between the garage and house (which includes the hot water heater, washer/drier, and a large freezer, all of which add significant heat to the small room). In THIS house, I'd say uninsulated door (assuming it's cheaper, as logic dictates, then the insulated versions); it just makes more sense.
Yea the garage is insulated and sheet rocked. The hot water heater is in the garage (which will generate some heat). I'm thinking that if the garage itself is insulated and sheet rocked, it would be a waste if I didn't get a insulated door, right?

How about windows in the garage door? Yes or no?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Windows are a matter of preference...personally, I'm not for windows in garages...just one more way for someone to look at my stuff they have no business wondering about.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Insulate it yourself.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Get the best Insulated door you can afford.
It will keep noise from the outside down , and if you ever Air Condition the garage, it will make a BIG difference in your Electric Bill.
Regards, Pete

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Insulated ... based on the rest of the garage being insulated. Plus you'll never regret making that decision.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Get the best Insulated door you can afford.
It will keep noise from the outside down
+1. The door itself is much quieter going up and down too.

No to the windows.

You mileage my vary.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Insulated ... based on the rest of the garage being insulated. Plus you'll never regret making that decision.
Would never switch to an uninsulated door. No windows, I don't want anyone peeking into my garage. Also if you get an opener for it spend the money and get a belt drive.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whoops! ---Forgot to mention-----no windows ---another reason, one more thing that may break.
Regards, Pete
And more money...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I voted no because your in NV - I figure its warm there.

Here in OH I would/did get an insulated GD because of the cold and the fact I work out there quite frequently and tend to have the heat on quite a bit.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I voted no because your in NV - I figure its warm there.

Here in OH I would/did get an insulated GD because of the cold and the fact I work out there quite frequently and tend to have the heat on quite a bit.
Im in Reno, a rocks throw away from Lake Tahoe. Its very cold her in the winter time.

I think I am going to go with a insulated door. Why not.. Thanks for the help guys!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just built my attached garage (28' X 40') amd used insulated doors and also have 7 windows, each 3' X 3'. I like the light and all of the windows but one are guarded by the dog. Since I have 12' ceilings, I kept the windows off the ground a little bit so you can't see in from the outside. And finally the entire garage is monitored by a motion sensor hooked to the security system.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Buy non-insulated and no windows. It is very easy and inexpensive to insulate yourself. Buy sheets of foam insulation at Home Depot, cut to size and glue to inside of door with Liquid Nails.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Have you already bought a door? If not, let me know which brands you are looking at or what's available in your area. I do this for a living so I can help you get the best door for the money.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts