Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure if this is where this belongs but i found it kinda funny. Ive been looking into getting an XD and the new XDm 5.25 got my attention (mainly because shooting a 45 gets stupidly expensive lol). Well, i went into Gander Mountain earlier and asked if they had a 5.25 and not just one of the guys behind the counter but both of them said "Thats not a popular model so you probably wont find anyone who will carry it" and then "We can order one for you but youll have to put money down since it probably wont sell if we just put it in the case". Oddly enough they wouldnt even give me a price on one. They both continued on saying "You should just look into a glock" and "they are just nicer guns without some of the annoying safety features of the xd/xdm lines". This isnt the first time ive had this type of experience at this store. Sadly its the closest place to me that carries handguns.

Last time i was there i was looking for springfields new 1911 RO to check out and the guy looked at me like i was an idiot and said "Range Officer? Ummm, idk what that is, i dont think we can get that". He clearly had no idea what i was talking about.

Anyway, i figured some of you would get a laugh out of it as i did (after the "wtf" moment).

Is it just me or does anyone else live in a place where all the gun shops are either ignorant of the items they sell or completly unprofessional (yeah, ive got more stories, lol)?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Around my area Glocks seem to be king with the M&P closing in fast (M&P is my favorite platform right now). I went with my buddy to go buy his XD a couple years back, He (stupidly) asked the guy what his opinion of the XD was and all he said was "it's no Glock" Some of those Glock fanboys are the most closed minded people I've ever met. I will admit I do prefer the Glock over the XD but I would never be a dick about it. If YOU like the XD YOU should get one. It's not my gun...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Although i dont have a problem with glocks (my brother loves them so ive had my share of face time with them) i do prefer others over them. The XD/XDm lines just seem more comfortable to me and have certain features i prefer. Im newer to the handgun world and like you said, some of the glock lovers are kind of arrogant and ignorant. This was really offputing to me and i dont understand the logic behind driving customers away from products like that. M&P doesnt seem to have a huge presence here which is a shame because id like to get ahold of a few.

Another problem for me around here is almost nobody takes you seriously unless youre older, wear camo, or look like you have a lot of money. I cant even count how many times ive been ignored or not taken seriously.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Im not sure if this is where this belongs but i found it kinda funny. Ive been looking into getting an XD and the new XDm 5.25 got my attention (mainly because shooting a 45 gets stupidly expensive lol). Well, i went into Gander Mountain earlier and asked if they had a 5.25 and not just one of the guys behind the counter but both of them said "Thats not a popular model so you probably wont find anyone who will carry it" and then "We can order one for you but youll have to put money down since it probably wont sell if we just put it in the case". Oddly enough they wouldnt even give me a price on one.
I think they are correct, they would have a hard time selling that overpriced XDm 5.25.

They both continued on saying "You should just look into a glock" and "they are just nicer guns without some of the annoying safety features of the xd/xdm lines". This isnt the first time ive had this type of experience at this store.
They are right about that too.
The Glock has a better stock trigger than the XDm, but that ius just me.
The XD line just didn't work out for me.
I sold all of mine..
But whatever works for you is fine with me.

Sadly its the closest place to me that carries handguns.
They may be the closest place to you, but I'd drive that extra ** miles to go to a better store.

Last time i was there i was looking for springfields new 1911 RO to check out and the guy looked at me like i was an idiot and said "Range Officer? Ummm, idk what that is, i dont think we can get that". He clearly had no idea what i was talking about.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If that was the case, why did you even bother going back?
You kinda asked for it.

Is it just me or does anyone else live in a place where all the gun shops are either ignorant of the items they sell or completly unprofessional (yeah, ive got more stories, lol)?
Unfortunately there are more gun store employees with crappy attitudes, than there are generally knowledgeable and level headed salesmen.
Best to do your research online, like I think you did, and just ask to see the firearm.
Don't let them get into giving their opinions.
When that starts, repeat, 'do you have the gun?'.
When they say no, tell them 'have a nice day' and move on.
Don't waste your time with them..

And welcome to the forum AdrenalineJunkie..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, a glock fan. lol

Like i said, i dont mind glocks but i prefer others. A decent setup can completly change how a guns shoots and ive seen identical guns perform totaly different from one another (including glocks). I have driven the extra miles to check out other stores. Sadly the others dont have much inventory at all or are VERY unprofessional. It seems like as inventory goes up the less professional and approachable the employees/owners seem to be. I went back to Gander Mountain simply because its between my place and school and the last time i was there i ddint look to see what they had as far as XDs (it was mainly to look at thier 1911 and used guns). As you suggested i have done most of my research online before even thinking about going to a shop but i can try out a gun online. When i visit family sometime ill try some other places out that i know are worth the time. Luckily theres a huge gun show near me once a month which should yield good results.

Thanks for the post and welcome.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A gander hires mostly young idiots. I happen to live next to brand new one that's huge and has virtual range with a live fire range. Virtual range is awesome and money saver! Only one guy I ask opinion from in gander older a cop n been there 10 yrs plus I know of. Guess what? He wont show people blocks anymore. Brings em right over to the xdms. ;)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Gander Mountain = Rape City

Use the store to handle the gun not to buy. I have a local gun store in the back half of the shooting range and you can pay $20 to shoot the gun youre serious about buying. If you buy it the money goes toward the gun. Too bad his prices are just a little lower than Gander or I would buy from him.

Check on these forums. Great prices!

·
Registered
895 Posts
anyone buying a firearm from gander mountain better study up on guns and prices a little more, they are typically unknowledgeable and way over priced. thats just my opinion and experience.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I just got a stainless/composite stock 10/22 with a cheap scope package for 259.

maybe I overpaid a bit but I am happy with it. I didn't have to stand in line for an hour.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
anyone buying a firearm from gander mountain better study up on guns and prices a little more, they are typically unknowledgeable and way over priced. thats just my opinion and experience.
Same here. Gander Mountain is a yuppie sporting goods store. Their guns, ammo, and accessories are nicely displayed, but everything is way overpriced. I mean, wayyyyyyyyyyy over priced.

I've also found that Gander's employees are either clueless or full of $hit when I ask them questions. Not only that, but I have to wait in line because they never have enough of them to wait on the customers.

I would never think of buying a gun or ammo at Gander. I have had great luck doing research on the internet and buying guns online. I buy all of my ammo at a local department store. I typically save anywhere from 10-40% off Gander prices.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I have bought 3 guns from Gander in the past 4 months. Did I overpay, yep I did. Why because in 2 of the cases they had the exact gun I was looking for and was told by 4 other very good dealers there was a 4-5 month wait. One of the Kimbers I bought they didn't even have on display. I just asked the guy to see if they had any others in stock and he came out with the exact version I was looking for :D - it was the only other Ultra they had.

I always have 2-4 guns I am looking for and if Gander has a sale they are pretty competitive. Sometime their ammo sales are great, I just bought 25,000 rounds of 22lr 36 gr hp Federal bulk pack for < .03 each :D. I bought 2 packs and ran it through my 1911 conversions, my Buck Mark and my CMMG AR-15 conversion to make sure it worked well before I made the plunge.

I so wish they made an XDm 22 conversion!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you are serious about buying a gun, you have already researched it. If you have to ask the guy behind the counter a question then you are not buying a gun, you are just there to play with it and stroke your ego a bit

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Direct quote from a sales guy at GM talking to an older man and his wife (prolly 70's) "Its a springfield sos it american made in Missouri". I poke my head up and say "why do they say Made in Croatia on the side?" "oh and they are only imported by springfield, but they are fantastic guns I have three. But I would never pay for 650 for a sub compact". Man did I piss that lil sales boy off. I brought my wife over about 10 mins later and continued to make him look like an iddiot for fun. These guys are about as good as Bass Pro guys. I really did used to order from them online though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree if you are wanting to learn about guns don't go to any box store.

Having said that there are some very knowledgeable people at my Gander and the rest seem eager to learn. I don't hear too much misinformation because if someone gets asked a question and they don't know the answer they get to the guys that do. I think the store management has a lot to do with that approach.

If I run into someone that does not know what they are talking about I take the time to teach rather than ridicule. More productive in the long run and I can walk away knowing that the next person they help will be a little better off. My grandfather taught me that.

Dave

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
my local gander doesn't have an in house gunsmith anymore.

its kind of a bummer that option is gone. I really hate to ship stuff out to get it worked on. i think its better to be able see and talk to the guy.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
We used to have only one store that sold pistols and they have GLOCK MADNESS. Fortunately we had a second store open up last year, much cleaner, good lighting, friendly staff. The prices are slightly higher than the other store, but less than Cabela's, Gander, etc and I would gladly pay the premium for the more positive experience.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There are tools in every store not just GM. Even my LGS has some tools working behind the counter. I've bought a few guns from my local GM the past couple years, got some really good deals, and paid retail for others cause they were imposaihle to find.

Of course we've all seen tools for customers too, busting some poor kids chops for earning a paycheck vs being a drain on society.

Do your research online, figure out what is a good price, fondle it at GM and see if you like it. One thing I've noticed at GM though, the sales guys can deal on the prices, if you get the right one.

I picked a cx4 on sale, the case (not the gun) was cracked, talked the guy into another fifty bucks off. Ended up being cheaper than buds. Did that with a used DE too.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Why don't you tell us how you really think?
Do you train Gander Mountain employees?
Kind of being a dick :rolleyes:

I think they are correct, they would have a hard time selling that overpriced XDm 5.25.

They are right about that too.
The Glock has a better stock trigger than the XDm, but that ius just me.
The XD line just didn't work out for me.
I sold all of mine..
But whatever works for you is fine with me.

They may be the closest place to you, but I'd drive that extra ** miles to go to a better store.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If that was the case, why did you even bother going back?
You kinda asked for it.

Unfortunately there are more gun store employees with crappy attitudes, than there are generally knowledgeable and level headed salesmen.
Best to do your research online, like I think you did, and just ask to see the firearm.
Don't let them get into giving their opinions.
When that starts, repeat, 'do you have the gun?'.
When they say no, tell them 'have a nice day' and move on.
Don't waste your time with them..

And welcome to the forum AdrenalineJunkie..

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I purchased 2 shotguns from Gander, both were mismarked and I got an 870 combo for $300.00 plus tax. They wanted to argue with me but I demanded to speak to a manager. You have to sell the gun for what the pricetag says on it, its not my fault some idiot put the wrong tag on the last 870 combo you have on display. the other one was an 11-87 and it was on sale and also mismarked but not as good a deal as the 870 was.

I can't stand dealing with idiots behind the counter of most of these types of places. I normaly walk away when they start their rants or tell them they lost a sale because I was asking about a product, not their personal opinion. You can always tell them the gun is a throw away when your done with it so your not worried about why another one may be better...lol

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Our local GM used to be decent both with a fair amount of old duffers behind the counters that actually understood the things they sold and had competitive prices. Then they moved to a new location that is twice the size, dumped the old guys, hired a crib full of pimple faces and raised the price of everything in the store 30-50%.

Once and again they have ok prices on sale items, but it's also not uncommon for their sale price to be well above the local gun shop prices.

I don't frequent them at all anymore.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts