Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered a Galco Fletch high ride holster, and it came today. Being the first leather holster I have purchased (and by far the most expensive), I was excited and immediatly tried it out. Well I know that holsters have to get broken in but I ended up racking the slide trying to get the gun in. And once it was in it took me close to a full minute to get the thing back out.

The first thing I did is puch it in and pull it out about 20 times, then I put it in and threw it in my drawer. I am hoping it will losen up as I know holsters tend to do, but I have was surprised how stiff it was to begin with.

I guess my question is, is this normal? I would like a smooth draw, and it does have a thumbreak, so I am not in need of friction retention.

Thanks,
-astral

·
Registered
19 Posts
You could try "forming" the holster with a blue or red (training) gun, if SA makes such a thing, and if you have one.
Sort of like "forming" a new baseball glove around a ball.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
astral, give it time and the holster will 'break in'.

Sounds like you are on the right track with your
draws. After a couple hundred presentations,
you should be ok. The Fletch is one of my favs.

Good shooting and welcome.

Ed

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I left it overnight in the holster hanging from a lamp to simulate the curve of a waist as it was very 'flat' feeling yesterday. Today it feels a little better, and I am optomistic about it. Hopefully it will one day go in smoothly.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
My Ross Leather holster for the XD was pretty tight when I first got it. This is ok as you don't want the gun flopping around in a loose holster. N-Eway I put my XD in a thick sock and put it in the holster for a day or so and it stretched it enough that the XD fits great. Galco has a leather conditioner and protector that I use on my leather holster, It will not clog the pores of the leather therfore allowing it to breath. I had a Wilson Combat 1911 I carried in a Galco for a long time and my Dad still carries the same pistol in the holster. Still looks good as the day I bought them....

·
Registered
266 Posts
You may try wrapping your XD in a thick plastic bag (i.e. heavy freezer bag) and inserting it in the holster. Don't worry, your holster will break in eventually. Good choice with the Fletch. I've got two and love them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts