Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a yard sale saturday, and my wife and I were armed the whole day. When I finally took it off, I found rust on the part of the slide that was touching my skin (I had been sweating pretty good--was hot). Managed to clean most of it off, but I still see discoloration. I guess I had to know I was on borrowed time. Is SA still doing refinishing under warranty if one experiences rust?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Last I heard they started backpeddling on people and saying that if you could wipe the rust off then the problem didn't exist.

·
Registered
82 Posts
sjp2452 said:
We had a yard sale saturday, and my wife and I were armed the whole day.
Off topic a Little

I've been a member of this forum for a couple of months and almost daily there is a post from someone justifying the need to carry in there everyday lives to protect themselves or loved ones

I support yours and anyones right to carry a weapon. I just cant help but think I would move if I lived where I needed to carry a weapon to have a garage sale

So my question is did you really need to arm yourselves for the garage sale. Yes I understand a garage sale invites strangers on to your property even still

·
Registered
237 Posts
So my question is did you really need to arm yourselves for the garage sale. Yes I understand a garage sale invites strangers on to your property even still
Even if an area has minimal crime, it does not mean you are safe. There is no such thing as a zero crime area. You cannot garauntee that you will not be a victim in a crime on any given day.

You are having a garage sale, you will be collecting mainly cash. It may not be a large amount, but to someone walking down the street it may be just enough to get what they want.

Say you are sitting at Lubys in a small town and you feel safe. Some mentally unstable person has a bad day, drives through the front window of the restaurant and starts killing random people for no reason. (True Story in Kileen Texas)

Point is, no town is crime free, you dont know who is going to snap and where it will happen and what will set it off. Even the most respected and nicest people have breaking points. If its not hurting me to be prepared for something that has the smallest chance of ever happening, Im going to be prepared. It could and does happen in the least expected places.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RangeRat said:
sjp2452 said:
We had a yard sale saturday, and my wife and I were armed the whole day.
Off topic a Little

I've been a member of this forum for a couple of months and almost daily there is a post from someone justifying the need to carry in there everyday lives to protect themselves or loved ones

I support yours and anyones right to carry a weapon. I just cant help but think I would move if I lived where I needed to carry a weapon to have a garage sale

It's a fair question, but I'd answer it this way. It's been said--You never need a gun...till the one time in your life that you need it more than anything else in the world.

Add to it that a yard sale is usually one or two people sitting outside their house with a pocket full of cash and some possibly desireable goods. We were armed (concealed, of course), and we were fine. We would have been fine otherwise, but I only know that because of hindsight.

One other thing--I'm not afraid to profile. Having a yard sale will typically draw lower-income folks out, looking for bargains (of which we had plenty). Crime is higher among lower-income city folk, is it not? Therefore, I felt it prudent. Besides, my wife armed herself before I even said anything. Took a while for her to come around on the pistol thing... I wasn't about to accuse her of being paranoid. ;)

We're selling our house (FSBO), and we chose to arm up when running open houses. If my wife was home alone and doing a showing, she was armed. The bottom line is, you put an ad in the paper that invites people to come to your home. You don't know who they are, or what their intentions are. It's perfectly reasonable to take measures to ensure that you would retain the upper hand in a confrontation. It is, after all, your home.

Lastly, there are a half million home invasions in the US every year...and those happen without advertising in the paper. How many homes in the US? Even if there were 250 million, your straight up statistical probability of having your home invaded is 1 in 500 (not counting demographics). That's just not good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

you cant predict when and where crime will happen, so why try and predict where it wont happen.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Sorry to be off topic...

How often do homeless people get robbed? I would guess, not very often. What idiot would try to rob a person who has nothing. I live on a very quiet street but when cars get broken into, they do it around here because there are decent homes, nice cars, people have things. My folks live in a upper middle class neighborhood with an extremely low crime rate yet there are still occasional break-ins.
Awhile back people were shopping in a mall (forget where, there was a post on here about it) and some lunatic walks in with an SKS or something similar and starts shooting people. Maybe we should not have shopping malls anymore.

Im not trying to flame, but crime can be everywhere and I dont think that taking precautions should be considered over reacting if acting in a prudent manner.

·
Registered
82 Posts
qballwill said:
Point is, no town is crime free, you don't know who is going to snap and where it will happen and what will set it off. Even the most respected and nicest people have breaking points. If its not hurting me to be prepared for something that has the smallest chance of ever happening, I'm going to be prepared. It could and does happen in the least expected places.
Point taken I feel its every persons responsibility to take reasonable steps to protect themselves and there family (locking doors reporting suspicious activity/people) that type of thing.

I am going to rethink the steps I take to protect myself and my family I may be at a higher risk for feeling to safe

Still it would bother me to have to be armed to have a garage sale.Having said that I am glad that sjp2452 has the right to do what he feels necessary to protect his family

P.S Duracoat is a great way to combat the rust issue I did all my guns myself and they look great

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I was carrying while chopping down a tree in my front yard this weekend. Call me paraniod if you want, but I carry whenever I can.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
RangeRat said:
Still it would bother me to have to be armed to have a garage sale.
not "have to be armed"...... "need to be armed". you say it like its a chore you dont want to do.

should it be that way? no. but thats the way it is.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Regarding the carrying thing.... read this.

Regarding rust....

I am bummed to report that even though I have wiped it down w/ a silicone cloth after every range session, when I pulled the fusion gun out of the gun safe (which btw DOES have a dehumidifier rod) after vacation, I had rust showing up under the clear gunkote at the serrations.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RangeRat said:
It's not a "have to". It's a choice. Do, or do not (Master Yoda). That's the great thing about freedom. I live in a great neighborhood. Not austentatious, just middle class and very quiet & friendly. My neighbors, had they known, would have thought me crazy. They probably leave their doors unlocked. Hey--their choice. If something bad happens I'll do my best to defend them, if they need defending. That's my choice.

RangeRat said:
P.S Duracoat is a great way to combat the rust issue I did all my guns myself and they look great
Ah yes--the topic! What did you do to the slide to pre-treat it? It may need a little scrubbing to make sure I've gotten all the rust off. Wouldn't want to trap any underneath. Also, did you apply it on the inside of the rails, or just the outside of the slide? Does it add thickness?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
aiformula said:
I am bummed to report that even though I have wiped it down w/ a silicone cloth after every range session, when I pulled the fusion gun out of the gun safe (which btw DOES have a dehumidifier rod) after vacation, I had rust showing up under the clear gunkote at the serrations.
Fusion...The Canyon Creek Fusion? Dang...I love the look of that finish. You still saw rust with it?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
And we all know that I carry openly while picking up trash in nice neighborhoods. :)

(15 bags on Sunday for 4.5 hours.... my back hurts.)

·
Registered
82 Posts
therooster said:
RangeRat said:
not "have to be armed"...... "need to be armed". you say it like its a chore you dont want to do.

should it be that way? no. but thats the way it is.
If need be I will arm myself Its just going to take me awhile to get used to it I guess I'm old fashioned

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
RangeRat said:
If need be I will arm myself Its just going to take me awhile to get used to it I guess I'm old fashioned
there is nothing wrong with that, you should feel comfortable. just remember whenever you take your gun off your hip you are entrusting someone else to protect you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Back on topic:

I ordered the starter kit that http://www.lauerweaponry.com/
offers and the matte black around $45 comes with an airbrush and air can if you don't have a air compressor

Painted my XDs when they were new (see I do take precautions)Before any rust

I sprayed the outside only I keep the inside well oiled much more oil than anyone recommends but no rust

·
Registered
20 Posts
My subcompact, which I carry on a daily basis, started to rust about two weeks ago I sent it in to Springfield and had it back in one week with a new finish and shipping paid both ways.

Shamus

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have past the six month mark and still no rust. I am really lucky I guess.
I do use armadillo, great product and the weapon is wiped down weekly with Birchwood Casey Sheath. Also with a silicone cloth after every carry.
It has worked great so far.
That being said I still want to get a refinish in fusion, because I love the look. :)

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
ichy brought up a very valid point. In the 15yrs I spent in patrol, most of the burg reports I wrote were in the nicer areas, because those are the areas that generally have the nice things.

For the same reason, the area I live in (72 home tract) has had burgs over the 15yrs I have been here. Even tho my neighbors across from me (2) have been hit, I haven't because I have two dogs in the rear yard who alert when anyone is in the area and security lights in the front of my house (I also have an undeveloped area next to me so one light covers that).

We recently had a garage sale and I had my gun concealed for the same reason. Thankfully, nothing occurred, but you never know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts