Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've decided to spring for one of these Glock subcompacts. I already own a G27 and just can't justify the loss of capacity/smaller caliber of a single stack option for concealed carry. At least not at this juncture. So I want to spend the money on a bigger caliber Glock. I was leaning towards the G30 for a while. 45 acp is much more plentiful at walmart and at better prices. But then I started reading up on .357 sig and 10mm, how the sig is the caliber of choice for secret service/air marshals/highway patrol/etc, how 10mm was briefly used by the FBI but was deemed too powerful, etc. I also watched impressive videos of these calibers breaking through concrete blocks and cars. I also started reading reviews on the G33 in .357 and the G29 in 10mm. They both sound like excellent calibers for personal defense. I prefer the baby Glocks because you can conceal them or choose the larger mags with spacers to get a full size gun.

The main sticking points against 10mm and .357 sig are 1) I know .45 acp is plentiful and one of the best rounds going, and 2) 10mm/357 ammo is outrageously priced and not as common. I've seen them selling for $35-40 dollars or more for a box of 50, which is just ridiculous, and I could never shoot it at that price. But thanks to AmmoGrab and AmmoSeek search engines I have found both calibers under $15 dollars a box which is far more reasonable and will allow for plinking.

So what are the advantages and disadvantages of these 3 calibers and how do they stack up in ballistics? Which has the most power, most accuracy, and which is the best all around caliber for personal defense?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
IMO 10mm is going to be the most powerful of the three with the right ammo.

I would go with the Glock 29. Yes, 10mm ammo can get a bit expensive, depending where you buy it. .357 Sig isn't cheap either. Lately, I have seen 10mm ammo prices drop quite a bit.

I bought PPU for $14.95 on line a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, I say Armscor for $18.99. That's pretty much what you would pay for .45 ACP plinking/target rounds. Freedom Munitions is selling 10mm today for $16.79. 10mm 180 gr RNFP New

Keep in mind, those are the under powered, barely stronger than a .40 cal, rounds. But plenty good for plinking and target practice.

Underwood sells an excellent FULL power fmj load for about $31 for 50. And their SD ammo is getting on up there at about 90¢ a round. Again, comparable to .45 ACP and Sig .357 SD rounds. But you just need a couple boxes of those to keep on hand for carry.

10mm| Underwood Ammo | Pistol Ammunition | Self- Defense | Ammo

As far as which one is the most accurate, that's probably a wash and will depend on the gun and the shooter.

All around best for carry? Depends on what you are most comfortable with. A Glock 19 loaded with Federal HST 9mm is a formidable weapon.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I'm partial to .357 Sig because it's my duty round. 99 percent of the time off duty I carry a Glock 32. Off duty I carry the Underwood Gold Dots. I've chrono'd them a few times and they've consistently averaged 1510 FPS. As far as which is "better" that I couldn't say. Don't think you could go wrong with this or 10mm.

I've never reloaded 10mm but I have loaded .357 Sig and it's kind of fickle. I would imagine 10mm doesn't have as steep a learning curve.

·
Registered
902 Posts
So I've decided to spring for one of these Glock subcompacts. I already own a G27 and just can't justify the loss of capacity/smaller caliber of a single stack option for concealed carry. At least not at this juncture. So I want to spend the money on a bigger caliber Glock. I was leaning towards the G30 for a while. 45 acp is much more plentiful at walmart and at better prices. But then I started reading up on .357 sig and 10mm, how the sig is the caliber of choice for secret service/air marshals/highway patrol/etc, how 10mm was briefly used by the FBI but was deemed too powerful, etc. I also watched impressive videos of these calibers breaking through concrete blocks and cars. I also started reading reviews on the G33 in .357 and the G29 in 10mm. They both sound like excellent calibers for personal defense. I prefer the baby Glocks because you can conceal them or choose the larger mags with spacers to get a full size gun.

The main sticking points against 10mm and .357 sig are 1) I know .45 acp is plentiful and one of the best rounds going, and 2) 10mm/357 ammo is outrageously priced and not as common. I've seen them selling for $35-40 dollars or more for a box of 50, which is just ridiculous, and I could never shoot it at that price. But thanks to AmmoGrab and AmmoSeek search engines I have found both calibers under $15 dollars a box which is far more reasonable and will allow for plinking.

So what are the advantages and disadvantages of these 3 calibers and how do they stack up in ballistics? Which has the most power, most accuracy, and which is the best all around caliber for personal defense?
The most important thing to remember, is that the caliber, is the least important metric, when comparing different pistols. Modern bullet design, has pretty much made the performance differences negligible. So....that being said, the more important thing, is which pistol/caliber combination, do you shoot better with. The .357/10mm will have significantly more recoil impulse, slowing down your follow up shots (and they cost more to practice with, and typically have fewer bullet options.)

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
^ Exactly - terminal ballistics means nothing if the shooter cannot successfully deliver the bullet to the desired target.

Break out the shot timer. Shoot to a score-able metric.

That's really the only way to do it.

As for cost/availability?

That's one thing when everything is normal - but during the last two ammo-craze days, the first to suffer from horrendous price increases and the first to disappear were 9x19 and .45 ACP.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Since you already have a G27, I would recommend a 357sig conversion barrel for about $125. This is one of my EDC choices; also, you have the .40 S&W option if there's a problem acquiring 357sig ammunition. The carry preference is the Underwood 115 gr. Nosler. Two XDm's and three G's are equipped with 357sig conversion barrels round out my EDC choices. A newly purchased XDs in .40 S&W will become my EDC as soon as I can acquire a 357sig conversion. Just my preference...

·
Registered
19,921 Posts
Put a Sig barrel in the 27.

That said, if you don't like that, get a 30S.

10mm is much more suited for a 20 or 40.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
A G29S would be cool.
I EDC a G30S the majority of the time but really like the .357 Sig a lot.
IMO, you won't go wrong with any of the above mentioned rounds. Coin toss.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Full power loads in the 29 are snappy. I have to use the pinky extensions to feel comfortable shooting more than a couple mags. At that point it's considerably longer in both directions than your 27 (not to mention wider and heavier). I love the 29 for what it is but it's never going to be my edc. Unless a Mtn lion starts prowling the neighborhood:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I sold my G29SF this year. Pretty heavy and chunky for AIWB carry, went and replaced it with XDe 45 single stack. Night and day difference. I won’t buy that G29 again. LOL!

Like one comment above, just put a 357 sig barrel on your G27.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts

Given the options mentioned, I'd pick the G26.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I own all 3. For edc I carry the G33. FWIW, I have a 40 cal factory barrel also for the G33. For walks in the woods the G29 gets the nod. I bought the G30 to use in GSSF matches, although I have carried it sometimes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts