Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you perceive any difference in recoil between a G19 and XD9?

I thought I would ask as I have troubles with the recoil from a G19 (medical condition) and I didnt want to rule out the XD9. No close rentals places so I have to get others opinions.

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I've fired a Glock 17 and it feels the same as any other 9mm. I would say the recoil factor is the same for the G-19 and the XD-9. Wish I could say the V-10 (ported) XD-9 is the way to go, but if you have some sensitive medical condition that prevents you from using a full power 9mm, then I don't know what else to say but to shoot .22 pistol.

Going to .380 is no help, because they have just as much "pop" as the 9mm and in some cases, they can be even harder to control because of the smaller frame.

Not sure what your medical condition is, but would wrapping your wrist or arm with a sports wrap help?

Good luck, shoot safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking for carry. I can shoot a .22lr easy enough. So looking for something bigger for more serious defense. Trying to avoid the revolver as a main.

·
Registered
179 Posts
XDs and Glocks are both kind of light, maybe you should consider an all steel 9MM for more weight. The polymer frame helps soften the recoil, but a 36 ounce pistol is going to recoil less than a 22 ounce one no matter what they are made of.

If you can conceal it, the most comfortable 9mm that I have shot is a Browning Hi Power. The weight is a nice compromise, the grip is excellent and wide enough to distribute recoil well.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
My 72 year old dad in law retired due to medical disability to his wrists. He can't mow the yard, do a firm hand shake, grasp anything heavy unless he wants to feel a whole lotta pain and or drop something.

He loves shooting my XD V10 9mm. He used to shoot 45's in his army days in the 50's. He can shoot my XD one or two handed. Our next trip to the range we are taking my mom in law. She was over shooting my airsoft berretta and was awsome with it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Variable said:

I thought I would ask as I have troubles with the recoil from a G19 (medical condition) and I didnt want to rule out the XD9. No close rentals places so I have to get others opinions.

thanks

i shot a 19 and an XD40 side by side... and they had the same recoil/recovery.

·
Registered
885 Posts
therooster said:
i shot a 19 and an XD40 side by side... and they had the same recoil/recovery.

No advice on the Browning Hi Power?

therooster was generous enough to let me try out his Hi Power at the range a few months ago. I would say that it has far less felt recoil than the polymer-frame pistols I have used. It was mentioned by RonS above and I agree...give an all steel 9mm a try.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Variable said:

thanks
I dont think there would be much difference

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the porting really make a difference? I hear it does, and then I hear it doesnt, or atleast not enough to justify it much.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
therooster said:
XD_Dan said:
No advice on the Browning Hi Power?
get one!

if you like 1911s you will love Hi-powers. the same guy designed both and they both operate similar.
No, get a CZ-75. Better then a Browning and costs less too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts