Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to know which finish is more durable. Both I assume are available in black. I have only read up on the gun-kote, haven't found much info on the fusion coating. Opinions on durability, and overall quality would be much appreciated.

Tim

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
now I feel like a boob. I guess that I should ask what the heck fusion coating is.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Fusion and Duracoat are different though, right AJ?

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Fusion is the name Rich and others came up to call the finish when the xd is colored on the top/bottom and recessed areas with polished up areas on the sides then clear coated.

Now Duracoating is the name of the "paint" brand used, Rich happens to use KG Gun Kote.

http://www.kgcoatings.com/gunkote.html

http://www.lauerweaponry.com

In all honesty its like trying to comapre fords to Chevy They both make trucks.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
The fusion finish is something Rich does at canyon creek. It is only available in one "color". Like James said, the top of the slide and the serrations are black, while the sides of the slide are a polished silver mirror color. Go to www.canyon-creek.com to see a picture. Duracoat comes in many different colors, you can even have a custom color made.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
jalley said:
The fusion finish is something Rich does at canyon creek. It is only available in one "color". Like James said, the top of the slide and the serrations are black, while the sides of the slide are a polished silver mirror color. Go to www.canyon-creek.com to see a picture. Duracoat comes in many different colors, you can even have a custom color made.
Actually, it can be done in any color KG Gunkote comes in. The only caveat is the high spots will always be shiny/polished metal covered by clear coat.

·
Registered
173 Posts
jalley said:
Duracoat comes in many different colors, you can even have a custom color made.
How do you go about getting a custom color done?

·
Registered
16 Posts
There are only a few companies that manufacture finishes appropriate for firearms. There are even a couple of companies that purchase one of those finishes and then re-package it with their label. It's more expensive of course!
Some re-finishers will put a name of their process. Our process uses Gunkote brand molly resin over zinc Parkerizing. Our process is one that I've developed over the last twenty five years and it's called Tuff-Gun. (Registered trade name) That process involves special temps for different metals while applying the resin, different temps for the resin while spraying, a four stage curing process for the resin, etc....A compilation of tricks, techniques and products.
Now for a quick word on so called "molly resins". Molly is short for Mollybdenum Disulfide which is a dry lube than can be dispersed in a resin and sprayed onto a surface. Very few so called molly resins actually have any molly in them at all. Gunkote does.
Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
http://www.shootiniron.com Mac's Sh...Says It All. Check out our FAL Special Deal.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mac,

Do you have a coating that matches the color of the XD OD frames.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
xd4zero said:
Here is a picture of my XD-40 Service model with the Black Fusion finish on the slide.

Is the top of the slide black or the same as the side of the slide? That is the look (on the side) that I have been looking for, with the groves/serrations being darker the the raised portions.
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote: Mac, Do you have a coating that matches the color of the XD OD frames.

Hi AZRaptor.........We actually have three different finishes for metal and one for long gun stocks.
Tuff-Gun 1....Gunkote over Parkerizing..Available in Black, Charcoal, OD Green and Mil-Park Green. Appropriate for any type of metal part on any firearm.
Tuff-Gun 2....Same as TG-1 with the addition of powder coat over the top of that. Available in any color that you could imagine and some you don't want to think about on a firearm. Appropriate for certain parts on long guns like the exteriors of barrels, receivers, etc.
Satin Nickel..This one is ..well...Nickel plate that's satin.
Tuff-Stock...Available in a variety of colors and appropriate for any type of long gun stock.

Our OD Green TG-1 will be very close to the green found on XD frames but not an exact match due to the texture being different. I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that the green XD frames are molded from the green synthetic material. It's not "painted" on. E-mail me for more info and I'll be happy to answer any and all questions with more detail. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
http://www.shootiniron.com
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Check Our Web Site For Our FAL Special Price Deal.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
so in respect to durability, is there any diff? I'm mostly concerned with "hardness" (how easy it is to scratch). Is it possible to chip off? How thick is the actual coating? .001" ?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Is the top of the slide black or the same as the side of the slide? That is the look (on the side) that I have been looking for, with the groves/serrations being darker the the raised portions.
Thanks

Tec

The top of the slide, groves and serrations are all black. Rich at Canyon Creek finishes the whole slide any color you want, then polishes the flats of the slide and then finishes the whole thing with clear. He does a great job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts