Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the "hook" removed from the front of their trigger guard? I hate that pussy "European" look. My opinion of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
You hate the european look on your Croatian handgun... Now that makes sense ;)
Just file it down if you don't like it. Shouldn't make any difference, it's just a trigger guard. You should check that it's ok to modify the frame in this way if you're shooting USPSA/IDPA. Shooting IPSC Production it's not ok to do so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,955 Posts
I want to remove the one on my Tactical but I use it to shoot Production class USPSA and thats a frame modification and not allowed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My statement Flanker meant no offense. My apologies if it was taken thus.
The shape of the guard always bothered me...The early generation Smiths went that direction also.
IDPA rulebook doesn't disallow this modification…In fact, it does expressly allow the "squaring" of the guard.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hobocircus said:
Verm did it to his Subby, but I think he sold it

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=23547&highlight=

he hasn't posted here since last summer. :( He was selling some of his guns to pay for medical bills. I wonder if he is OK. I sent him a email, but no response :(
Thanks for the link Jeff...That looks pretty good.

Now that you mentioned it...I haven't heard from Verm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
I read an article awhile back in Handgun magazine I think. One of the writers profiled his XD9 service that he had Robar hard chrome all metal parts on the slide and frame along w/extensive frame work. He had them smooth the entire grip then dipped in rubber grip material and had the trigger guard filed down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
I agree with you Frenchy. Is the hook there for a purpose or just for looks?

I would like to practice filing something else first before working on my new XD. Do you think it would be tricky? Would one use a file for plastic like hobbyists use?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
billwing said:
I agree with you Frenchy. Is the hook there for a purpose or just for looks?

I would like to practice filing something else first before working on my new XD. Do you think it would be tricky? Would one use a file for plastic like hobbyists use?
These guards were designed to wrap your weak hand trigger finger around...A practice that is spurned by most of those in the know.
If you look at the front of the guard, you will see the grooves for that purpose. I believe that standard files and varying degrees of sandpaper will do the job nicely. I don't believe that it would be difficult at all.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,601 Posts
If I remember correctly Verm used a dremel tool. Work on it nice and slow and take care not to take off too much material, cause you can't put it back on once you remove it!

I have used the weak hand index finger trick and it works for me when slowly firing at paper bullseyes. I don't hold that way in such cases as rapid fire on multiple targets. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,721 Posts
Frenchy said:
hobocircus said:
Verm did it to his Subby, but I think he sold it

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=23547&highlight=

he hasn't posted here since last summer. :( He was selling some of his guns to pay for medical bills. I wonder if he is OK. I sent him a email, but no response :(
Thanks for the link Jeff...That looks pretty good.

Now that you mentioned it...I haven't heard from Verm.
Verm was suppose to have a major surgery a while back and he was liquidating his gun collection to pay for it.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,574 Posts
Frenchy, I think that you have given me an excellent
idea for a project.

I believe that I can use my Kel-Tec as a proto model
for the new transformation.

Ed
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ed Ely said:
Frenchy, I think that you have given me an excellent
idea for a project.

I believe that I can use my Kel-Tec as a proto model
for the new transformation.

Ed
I'm glad I could help, Ed. I believe that it would improve the appearance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
IMO that smoothed out one looks "Pussy" I like the edges of the stock trigger guard.
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I'm with Frenchy, in fact I may just round mine off. It has no purpose I can think of except if you were improperly gripping the pistol.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top