Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this has been covered... but does anyone else have trouble getting a full magazine into their gun?

I don't have a problem getting all 10 rounds into the magazine, but once I do that, it's difficult to get it into the gun with the slide closed.

If the slide is open, it will go in fine.. but I would like to then be able to close the slide, add a 10th round to the mag, and put it back in. Very hard to get into the gun with a full mag.

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have noticed you cant baby them in.. they require a bit of a slap to put it but, Id figure that would be normal?

·
Registered
93 Posts
pd40 said:
I have noticed you cant baby them in.. they require a bit of a slap to put it but, Id figure that would be normal?
It's not normal with most guns, but it is usually required for the XD's.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Keep your mags full after a few weeks they will get softer. I read somewhere that slapping the mags in your gun might bend the lips and cause FTFs. I keep my mags full all the time and they have gotten much easier to load and insert into the gun.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It should be noted that springs don't "take a set" simply by remaining compressed over a period of time. Springs become softer by constant compression/decompression cycling.

In other words, your springs will become softer by constantly loading and unloading them, not by leaving them loaded for a long period of time. I realize this might sound counter-intuitive, but at the very least it is a fine excuse for killing of a few cases of ammunition.

-James

·
Registered
435 Posts
Jackd,

This may make some folks here queezie. I trimmed one coil off the bottom of each spring ( and I have six of them ) I have not seen a problem since! I also put skate tape on the bottom pad of each mag makes for a more possitive feel on the heal of your hand during reloads. FYI I still a year and a half later and about fifteen thousand rounds later have no problem with my mags. Good luck. 8)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Meta4 said:
It should be noted that springs don't "take a set" simply by remaining compressed over a period of time. Springs become softer by constant compression/decompression cycling.

In other words, your springs will become softer by constantly loading and unloading them, not by leaving them loaded for a long period of time. I realize this might sound counter-intuitive, but at the very least it is a fine excuse for killing of a few cases of ammunition.

-James
Can you support this with some good engineering papers or such? As far as I know all steel alloys are susceptible to creep when sufficient static stressed is applied. Proper design of the spring geometry and proper choice of the alloy will greatly reduce this creep rate but it cannot eliminate it as far as I know. Certainly the hysteresis of cycling the magazine will 'soften' the spring faster than any creep affects of storage under stress but I think both effects could probably be measured if you cared to do so.
Just for arguments sake
mcb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts