Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just loaded up a new 19rd XDM-9 magazine with Remington JHP and put it in my XDM. It seemed a little hard going in, so I gave it a tap and it locked into place.

I then tried to remove the mag to make sure it was working properly, but the full magazine is stuck in the XDM.

I just shot over 150 rounds through this XDM less than an hour ago. There is NOT one in the chamber. I don't want to chamber a round when the gun isn't working as expected.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
I don't remember, can you remove the bottom plate from the mag while it's inserted?

When we did failure drills in my CCW class, we practiced mag failures and were pressing mag release, and then literally pulling them free by force. The hardware is tougher than you think.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Have you tried to rack and lock the slide back? Thereby not chambering a round but releasing the pressure on the top of the loaded mag.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would try racking the slide back and locking it manually. Then you should be able to see what has it hung up.

My mag was stiff when I first got my xdm, and it was hard to push the mag release until a round was stripped off.

·
Registered
439 Posts
That mag release can be a bear to push on a full mag. Mine is a year old and it still is tough. I guess unless you think there is a mechanical failure of some sort you could rack the slide a few times to take the top few rounds our of the mag, then release. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I don't remember, can you remove the bottom plate from the mag while it's inserted?

When we did failure drills in my CCW class, we practiced mag failures and were pressing mag release, and then literally pulling them free by force. The hardware is tougher than you think.
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to pull the mag plate off. That's a dandy idea.

I say rack the slide, drop the mag, then eject the shell.

OP- can you rack the slide at all?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are the chances of an accidental discharge with racking the slide? (always very cautious about this)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to pull the mag plate off. That's a dandy idea.

I say rack the slide, drop the mag, then eject the shell.

OP- can you rack the slide at all?
I was able to disassemble another (empty) mag, but the little tab to disassemble the full mag won't push in...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm looking at another magazine right now, but how to disassemble it is not obvious to me. Anyone have instructions?
Can you push the mag release button in? If you can't, try pushing the magazine in a little bit farther so it takes the pressure of the mag latch.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Take a ballpoint pen, push the tip into the round dot on bottom of mag plate, slide the plate foward. Keep your thumb on it because the spring will fly out and pop you in the eye.

Um...yeah....it happened to me.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Take a ballpoint pen, push the tip into the round dot on bottom of mag plate, slide the plate foward. Keep your thumb on it because the spring will fly out and pop you in the eye.

Um...yeah....it happened to me.....
I tried... the tab doesn't want to seem to move down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you push the mag release button in? If you can't, try pushing the magazine in a little bit farther so it takes the pressure of the mag latch.
No, the mag release button won't go in anymore, the mag looks like it might not be fully seated, but it won't go in anymore.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Push the mag up with you hand (hard you wont break it) now push the mag release (hard you won't break it) use some manly force.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
What are the chances of an accidental discharge with racking the slide? (always very cautious about this)
There shouldn't be any danger racking the slide without significant failures of unrelated systems. If you can remove a few rounds from the mag, it should take the pressure off the release.

If the button on the bottom of the mag is too hard to move, try a small punch (no hammer). Just something to put more pressure on it. Things are compressed in the mag and it may take more force than you expect to press it in. If in getting the mag apart damages it, getting new mag plates from Springfield should be simple enough once you get the ammo out of it.

And this won't result in an AD/ND?
Not unless you have Popeye arms and are able to ignite the striker of the round. Very, very unlikely.

These are tools. They have been designed to withstand abuse and shock. There is very little you will be able to do without significant tools that will hurt the gun.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Removing the base plate is not an option on a full mag. The follower is blocking the retainer plate from moving.
Retract slide and while holding it in the rearward position, release the mag.
There is no danger of a discharge, of any kind, as long as there is no round in the chamber and no trigger manipulation.

·
Registered
755 Posts
tap bottom of mag while pressing button

its just tight

1 - 20 of 55 Posts