Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to reloading and have been using my buddies equiptment. I worked up a number of reloads for my 300 win mag. They are great rounds. But, since the brass has been fired and formed to the same chamber that I am reloading for, should I full length resize or just neck resize since they are formed now to my chamber?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am new to reloading and have been using my buddies equiptment. I worked up a number of reloads for my 300 win mag. They are great rounds. But, since the brass has been fired and formed to the same chamber that I am reloading for, should I full length resize or just neck resize since they are formed now to my chamber?
I neck-size for my bolt guns until the brass starts to get hard to chamber. Then I'll full length size it. As long as you are using it in the same rifle that fire formed it, it's the way to go and your brass should last longer.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
neck size only then anneal the brass after about every 5 firings, no need in working the body of the case any more than you have to.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I neck size for target rifles but partial size for hunting rifles. Partial sizing is just adjusting the FL die so it only sizes the case enough to easily chamber.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
You should be able to neck size only as long as the case will rechamber easily. I have reloaded the same .308's many times for our Palma guns and never had to full length resize. Test by neck sizing and chambering the empty case in your rifle. If there is drag, it should be only when you are closing the bolt. This applies only to bolt rifles. If you neck size only for a semi, you had better be wearing a heavy duty face shield to be on the safe side!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts