Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first got my XDs after researching a 'very small' .45 for EDC. I fell in love and used it up to the recall when I very reluctantly sent it back. After getting it back, I had multiple malfunctions during every trip to the range. (FTF, FTRB, light strikes) I sent it back for a repair, and it came back even worse! At one point, I got a light strike, so I SL&R...4 times in a row.
I contacted SA and asked for a new gun. They told me that they did not replace guns with the same model, because sometimes it is just not a good fit for the owner. I said I still want the same gun, because I really, really like it-it's perfectly accurate when it works. They sent me a new gun-same model and I took it to a defensive pistol course to break it in. I was having the same issues with FTRB, only not nearly so many as before. The instructor lubed it up a bit more, and it seemed like it helped, but I still found myself pressing on the back of the slide after a shot to make sure it was completely in battery.
I asked the instructor if he would shoot it so I could see if it really was just me. Well, he shot three magazines without a hitch. So, it really is me.. :(
I still want to conquer this pistol, so for those of you who love it as much as I want to, what can I do to get this gun to like me? :)
I have a strong grip, but maybe I need to work on wrist strength? Use a weaver stance instead of an isosceles? Do some pushups? :)
I really, really, really want to make this relationship work...;)
Suggestions?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I would look for a local, highly qualified pistol instructor. Spending a couple of hours with someone that specializes in showing the fundamentals can be a game changer. Many shooters have years of experience but have incorrect technique. Larger pistols can mask this. Having a gun as small as an XDS in as potent a caliber as the 45 ACP can then show the problems.

I'm not attacking you and I could be way off base. Still, I would at least read and look for as much information as possible. A one on one session might be the best investment many of us could make. Even well seasoned shooters can benefit from new approaches and ideas. The old saying "practice makes perfect" is not really true. Perfect (or at least correct) practice makes perfect.

It's not easy diagnosing a problem without seeing. Through research and training you will achieve your goals. :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shoot the snot out of it till you regain confidence.
HA! I aim to do just that...;)

I would look for a local, highly qualified pistol instructor. Spending a couple of hours with someone that specializes in showing the fundamentals can be a game changer. Many shooters have years of experience but have incorrect technique. Larger pistols can mask this. Having a gun as small as an XDS in as potent a caliber as the 45 ACP can then show the problems.

I'm not attacking you and I could be way off base. Still, I would at least read and look for as much information as possible. A one on one session might be the best investment many of us could make. Even well seasoned shooters can benefit from new approaches and ideas. The old saying "practice makes perfect" is not really true. Perfect (or at least correct) practice makes perfect.

It's not easy diagnosing a problem without seeing. Through research and training you will achieve your goals. :cool:
Thank you for your tips! :)
I have been through quite a few instructor courses, and do understand the fundamentals of grip, stance, smooth trigger press and follow through, and practice them fairly well...you are right that it is hard to diagnose without seeing it. I am kicking myself for not having that instructor, after he put rounds through it so well, to watch me do it and see if he notices anything I may be doing wrong. This was at the end of a Defensive Pistol course, where both the instructors were impressed with the accuracy of that little gun...unfortunately, I developed a new muscle memory of after taking a shot, my thumb pressed the back of the slide to make sure it was back in battery before the next shot. That fouled me up the next day when I switched to my perfectly reliable little 9mm Taurus PT709s. :roll:
I am going to take it out this morning and 'shoot the snot out of it' and see if I can find a technique that works for me...wish me luck! ;)

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
what kind of ammo are you using? have you tried a different profile/weight of bullet? is it one magazine primarily or several? does it only do it on specific rounds or when the magazine is fully loaded or just when down-loaded? have you been lubing it adequately following cleaning? Is the feedramp polished and shiny?

all these things can play a part--keep in mind the lighter slide on an XD-S is traveling very fast and things are happening very rapidly to make it function--any one of the parts of the chain can cause a hang-up...

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Squeeze the hell out of the grip lime you're trying to crush it. Sounds like you're leaving your wrists too loose.

Short barrel autos are very finicky when it comes to a weak shooting grip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what kind of ammo are you using? have you tried a different profile/weight of bullet? is it one magazine primarily or several? does it only do it on specific rounds or when the magazine is fully loaded or just when down-loaded? have you been lubing it adequately following cleaning? Is the feedramp polished and shiny?

all these things can play a part--keep in mind the lighter slide on an XD-S is traveling very fast and things are happening very rapidly to make it function--any one of the parts of the chain can cause a hang-up...
I kept notes today, but think the grip was really my issue...

Squeeze the hell out of the grip lime you're trying to crush it. Sounds like you're leaving your wrists too loose.

Short barrel autos are very finicky when it comes to a weak shooting grip.
Put 100 rounds through it with 5 FTRBs (this was only 21 feet, so I should have shot better...) and squeezed the snot out if it. Noticed it didn't reset if my grip got the slightest bit soft... Feeling a little more confident that I can make this relationship work...;)
Thank you for your tips!! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I kept notes today, but think the grip was really my issue...

Put 100 rounds through it with 5 FTRBs (this was only 21 feet, so I should have shot better...) and squeezed the snot out if it. Noticed it didn't reset if my grip got the slightest bit soft... Feeling a little more confident that I can make this relationship work...;)
Thank you for your tips!! :D

glad to hear you have had some breakthroughs...keep us updated if you do sort it out through grip control and repeated shooting...always a good thing when it is not something mechanical...technique and mental focus FTW

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
5 fails in 100 rounds?

No way would I feel confident carrying that. Or keeping it as a home defense.

I need my dead nuts reliable otherwise it's just a toy.

Hand gun wise, only ones to give me hiccups have been my. Kahr PM9 during the break in and a 1911 needing an extractor tuned.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Reading posts like this is exactly why I will just carry a 3.8 or bigger. I trust the 3.8 / 4.5 100%. I think they are the most reliable pistols I have ever shot.
I'm not knocking the S, and I think I understand the reasons that people have these issues. From such a small design to shooter technique. It just seems to me that under a stressful situation, if I have to use the gun, I don't want it to matter how I grip the gun, or how my wrist is, I just want it to go bang. If I want to wonder what the hell is going on with FTF, FTE etc, I'll just shoot my 1911. :sad:
For me if I need something that small, my Smith 5 shot 38 loaded with HST is just fine. When it comes to CC, I think I've found the perfect balance. Smith air weight 442 in 38+p for ultra concealment and XDM 3.8 and 4.5 in 40 and 45 respectively for the rest of the time.
Just what works for me, YMMV.
I hope it all works out for you with the S, they are a cool little pistol.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I carry my SubComp .40 or fullsize .45 usually...to each their own...I also won't carry a firearm that isn't 100% reliable...I also like additonal capacity...but do what works for you!

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
5 fails in 100 rounds?

Hand gun wise, only ones to give me hiccups have been my. Kahr PM9 during the break in and a 1911 needing an extractor tuned.

... I asked the instructor if he would shoot it so I could see if it really was just me. Well, he shot three magazines without a hitch. So, it really is me.. :(
My money's on it ain't the gun !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
5 fails in 100 rounds?

HA! I appreciate your concern, but I know it is NOT the gun that fails, it is me...so with more practice, excercise and diligence I will wrangle this gun into submission to me again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts