Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my 3rd IDPA match with my XD, and I had failures to feed on every stage today. At least I got some good practice in clearing malfunctions. Previously I've had no problems whatsoever.

My rounds are 1.125" long, which is slightly longer than the WWB I've shot before. I've probably shot about 500 rounds total through the gun, including 100 handloads to test them. My handloads today were the same length as the ones I tested before.

Has anyone found a cartridge length which starts to cause failures to feed?

Should I try a more aggressive crimp?

The bullets that jammed went up the ramp but wouldn't go fully into the chamber. The bullets were slightly dented where they hit the upper lip of the chamber and a couple hung up at that point, while several went mostly in but not all the way to battery. This gun was well cleaned last night, so it's not a contamination issue.

Should I make shorter rounds, or polish the feedramp and chamber throat? All of the above? Send it to Springfield?

****UPDATE

As I look carefully at the slide and barrel, I notice that it doesn't always go fully or firmly into battery. I'm suspicious of the spring, which is a Wolff 19# over a Wolff guide rod. I bought a 3 pack calibration pack of springs from them, and interestingly they are all different lengths. The 17# is the longest and is labeled as "factory standard", the 19# is one step stiffer but is shorter, and the 21# is the stiffest and the shortest.

With the 17# spring it always seems to lock up firmly. Ditto with the 21#. I suspect that the stiffest spring has enough force to lock it up even with minimal spring compression, and the 17# locks it up because it has quite a bit of compression with the slide closed due to the long spring. But perhaps the 19# is the wrong compromise of length and force, and perhaps the spring has relaxed enough after a few hundred rounds to be too weak and too short.

FWIW, the factory recoil spring assembly has the most positive lock up of the bunch.

I also noticed that there are a lot of contact surfaces between the barrel and the breech face which have to slide past one another. A polish job on the surfaces might help reduce friction and prevent failure to go fully to battery.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
If they're coming off the feedramp and hitting the top of the chamber, I'd say the feedramp is fine... Sounds like the OAL is too long...

I don't reload, and I'm not a gunsmith. :)

I would think opening the mag lips might help too.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's an XD40 4" model.

I'm guessing it's the ammo since that's the only change that's occured, but my opinion is that a good pistol should eat virtually any ammo that's within spec.

Interesting idea about the feed lips. I didn't pay attention to which magazine(s) experienced the failures, so it is possible that one of the mags is the culprit.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I've measured and compared my handloads to several different factory loads which have worked flawlessly, and there are no differences (mine fall within the range of measurements of the factory loads in every dimension) . It doesn't seem likely that it is the ammo.

There's no obvious difference with any of the magazines and they're all factory 12 rounders.

I've polished the feed ramp and the first part of the chamber. I guess the next step is to go shoot a bunch of rounds and see if the polish job fixed the problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, I would do that, plus if/when you have a FTF, you should mark the side of the magazine with a washable marker, dry erase marker or white out or something. That's how I found out that one of my mags was the culprit. I was rotating magazines, as I always do on the range, and it only happened once every 100 rounds or so, so it wasn't completely obvious. Since I took it out of rotation, I've gone though 500 rounds with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would like to add that SA is going to exchange the mag for free, with no proof of purchase or anything(I didn't buy it directly from them), so I suppose there is a silver lining.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This relates to a thread that was posted in a different forum on this site, but I can no longer find it. I have only had 3 FTF's in my XD-40. I shot through 50 rnds. of CCI Blazer ammunition in 4 different mags. one day at the range. It seems many have had problems with the 165gr. ammunition. :idea: The only way I could rationalize this at first was that the bullet itself wasnt a typical truncated cone. The nose was significantly less rounded than many of the other types of ammo I have ever shot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts