Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range today, actually went with an NRA certified training counselor (the certified guys who TRAIN instructors). Decided to try a bunch of different ammo's in my new XD to see what i like and dont. This guy happened to have an XD too and everything went fine... until I got to PMC boxes of FMJ.

In the space of 36 rounds, I had 5 FTFeed malfunctions. Each time I would properly clear it, remove the bullet and inspect it. On the fifth I finally noticed a clear chip on the forward edge of the brass case in addition to the set of indents from the slide attempting to close on an improperly fed round. I cleared my weapon completely and locked it open. I removed my flashlight and inspected my feed ramp. Sure enough there was a small flash of brass on the lower edge of the ramp.

I took a closer look at the PMC round and compared it to several other types I happened to have with me from several other manufacturers. The only applicable difference I could find was in the crimping of the case to the bullet. In the PMC round, there is a distinct edge which it would seem probable based on the evidence is catching just below or right on the edge of the feed ramp, causing a feed-way stoppage.

Before you respond, several points to know:

At the time of failure, only 200 rounds had been fired.

Previous to this range session, this XD has been thoroughly cleaned the weekend before with no rounds fired in the intervening time.

The weapon was properly lubricated; upon inspection of the slide and external surfaces of the chamber, a proper amount of lubrication was still applied, there was no "dry slide" resistance happening.

In conclusion, i have never had malfunctions like this ever before. Once I returned to winchester 165gr FMJ, I had zero malfunctions in the next 200 rounds, even in rapid fire.

·
Registered
119 Posts
For what its worth, I do a lot of reloading and I sort all my brass by headstamp. On both 40Sw and 10mm, the PMC brass is a bit "off". It seems to be thicker on the casewall. Regardless of bullet type, it is easy to shave off a small it of copper when seating the bullet. I just recently shot the last of my PMC and didnt bother to pick it back up....

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LexDiamonds said:
I just recently shot the last of my PMC and didnt bother to pick it back up....
Indeed, I "threw away" (e.g. expended into fundamental training drills) all the remaining PMC after the above incident and I think hell will freeze over before I buy more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts