Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a brand new XD 40 service model, It has the parkerized finish. I went to the range today and put 100 rounds thru her and there were a few times I had to take my thumb and push the slide forward to get the round chambered. When I got home I tore her down and cleaned her real well, Polished the ramp and the rail, lubed it up real good. I place the mag back in and started racking it and I still had the problem towards the end of the mag, I dont think it is the mag spring, Putting the last 2 to 3 rounds is really hard so it cant be wore out. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, And Be Safe, Dave

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Take a look at your recoil assembly first and make shure its allright. Then
since you only have a 100 rounds some may say do another 100 and see if its a break in issue. The last advice I could give is what ammo were you using? Try a different brand and weight ammo in fact try two different brands and weights.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I think we lost the old threads with some good info on feeding issues. But to summarize...

The slide will loosen up with use and slam forward with more authority and feed better. Give it some use and time.

Some ammo profiles just don't feed well, and if you are reloading going longer on OAL seems to help.

Polish the chamber, especially the top where the bullet rubs once it is off of the feed ramp.

The angle where the feed ramp intersects the chamber can be a bit too sharp, and does seem to be left sharper on later models with feed issues. The earlier ones seemed to have fewer problems and a slight radius here. Lighty radius this transition to reduce the drag on this edge. This is not enough to eat into the chamber and leave it unsupported, so you are still safe.

If you are just pushing the round in the last 1/8" or so, that is usually a brass sizing issue from using reloads.

I think that covers most of the starting points in very little detail. :D

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Whatever you do, don't bugar it up and then sell it back to a gun store.

I found the XD sub 40 I'd been looking for... Angels sang... They wanted $420 for it, so it must have been in good shape...

Opened 'er up...

Oh my god. Someone had had feeding issues, and ground down EVERYTHING. I wouldn't have bought it for $200.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts