Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not new to shooting, but am new to my XDS-45. I'm having issues and it is common with 3 different versions of ammo. (Round ball, wad cutter (reloads), and HP) I am having several issues with FTF and FTE. I even have failure to battery or load to chamber. Problem exists with 5 and 7 round mags. Sometimes, I have zero issues...other times I can not get a single round to properly load. I've found the only way I can get a round to chamber is by locking the slide back, inserting loaded mag, and pressing slide release. So....with this known, am I inadvertently/possibly, limp wristing when racking the slide? Once I have a round in chamber and try to rack the slide, paying attention to be sure I do not ride the slide, I have more FTE than not. I'm using a slingshot method and believe I am pulling the slide entirely back and quick releasing. I'll even try to turn the gun to it's side to help the round out and the problem remains. I'm going to get my dad to come over and observe how/what I'm doing to see if it is indeed a user error. Just looking for any experience with this issue. I've not yet put any rounds down range through it, but plan to this weekend. I really don't want to have this issue at the range and ruin an enjoyable day at the range being irked with my newest potential EDC. Sorry so long...I ramble at times...lol.

·
Registered
417 Posts
When I first got my XDs .45 I had similar issues. Once I started racking it hard I never had them again. After some rounds down range it became a lot less effort to rack.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I shot 2 XDs-45's last weekend. no FTEs or FTFeed. In fact, no malfunctions whatsoever.

have you ever fired large caliber supercompacts in the past?
I've fired my dad's G19Gen4 and Kimber Ultra II .45, but other than that mostly 1911's and other full sizes.

Like I stated, I haven't put any down range with this one yet. I did just realize I'm keeping my elbow bent when racking the slide to put a round to chamber. I'm wondering if I am subconsciously following back with the slide? I will try tonight to keep a locked elbow and sling shot it and see if that helps any.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I first got my XDs .45 I had similar issues. Once I started racking it hard I never had them again. After some rounds down range it became a lot less effort to rack.
thank you for the help and input. Much appreciated. I'm likely just overthinking things. This issue has definitely placed doubt in my mind as to EDC it until I can resolve it. I always carry with OITC, but want to know my weapon inside and out before carrying as a primary EDC.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think you should concern yourself with hand jacking problems.

that sounds weird.

be concerned when you get to the range and you have nothing but problems, but until then, don't sweat it.
I have to admit...I had to read that twice...lol. Will do. I'm just so excited to have this XDS in my arsenal and want to EDC it, but won't until I have range time with it, just as I have with my others. Preciate your help very much. Hopefully, I'll have good news to report after the weekend.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
lol. just reread your first sentence, common with all 3.
I've heard of wads causing probs?? haven't experienced it bc I stray from them.

try measuring and sorting some rounds by overall length if you have a caliper. load them in the mags in groups according to the length. maybe a trend will develop , or not develop , establishing it isn't the overall length of your ammo!
Just an idea. some guns are more sensitive than others to OAL of cartridge.

??? friends of mine have trouble racking my xd45 still after 800+ rds thru it, i have noticed it takes a little less now to rack but was never an issue really for me personally. but others noticed it, so.....
if I use improper grip I still get failures with the xd. I get lazy every once in a while and the gun lets me know it!!!!

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
after market trijicon HD sights are also designed to assist in one handed racking of the slide against a surface, I'm sure other companies offer the same features. then you can use your body weight to rack the slide!!! arm strength becomes a non issue.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
okay now I actually read the post.

you haven't fired the gun yet. failures were from manually cycling the gun.

take it to the range and light it up, then go from there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
okay now I actually read the post.

you haven't fired the gun yet. failures were from manually cycling the gun.

take it to the range and light it up, then go from there.

Thanks...that's the plan. If the same problems continue...I'll come back here for input. I've a feeling it's user error, which has caused doubt in my mind regarding the purchase...hoping the range settles all doubt.

The XDS likes to be handled rough.
Rack the slide back hard and let her rip.

Don't be gentle
Thank you. I think I am being rough with her, but will be less gentle with her when I get home to her tonight and see if she responds.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I've not yet put any rounds down range through it, but plan to this weekend.
omg.
Did you try starting your car before putting gas in it just to see if there were any problems?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had some problems at first too when I had one and it smoothed out after ~250 rounds.
One thing I recommend is good grease. Those little subcompacts can be tight SOB's and good grease helps IMO.
Keep at it and don't get discouraged.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Be it as it may, this problem should not exist.
Yes, it should.
Semis are designed to work via the power of the medium sized explosions provided by the ammo, your hand isn't going to simulate that in any useful way.
My $1500 Sig X-5 won't always go into battery when hand cycled, guess what: runs flawlessly with actual bullets being fired.

Until you have launched rounds downrange this is a non-issue.

·
Registered
7,526 Posts
If you're having trouble hand/manually cycling, be extra careful as you attempt more vigorous manipulations. Keep that trigger finger well clear, and be sure that you have a proper backstop in the direction which the muzzle is pointed.

Additionally, take a moment to tell your brain that if you should drop the firearm, -NOT- to try to catch it in mid-air.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, it should.
Semis are designed to work via the power of the medium sized explosions provided by the ammo, your hand isn't going to simulate that in any useful way.
My $1500 Sig X-5 won't always go into battery when hand cycled, guess what: runs flawlessly with actual bullets being fired.

Until you have launched rounds downrange this is a non-issue.

Again, thank you. I tend to focus on something almost OCD like until I can find a resolution. I'll put my mind to rest and fire away Sunday, as planned and report back.

If you're having trouble hand/manually cycling, be extra careful as you attempt more vigorous manipulations. Keep that trigger finger well clear, and be sure that you have a proper backstop in the direction which the muzzle is pointed.

Additionally, take a moment to tell your brain that if you should drop the firearm, -NOT- to try to catch it in mid-air.
Duly noted. I'm usually at my work bench or bed room over the bed, both spots muzzle aimed in same direction at a berm out the back of the house...just in case.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts