Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading just a few posts on the topic, I guess I'm going to have to send this into SA to have it looked at.
I've been getting a 2% - 5% FTE rate using WWB since day one. I'll get 2 failures on the first 100 rounds. Usually between 75 - 100 rounds. After that the number goes up.
Happens the same way every time. The casing will be about 75% extracted from the chamber and the new round will be wedged underneath the spent round. After pulling the mag out and locking the slide back, the casing can easily be removed.

How much hassle is SA warranty work going to be? I don't mind being without it for a few weeks, but I'd rather not have to burn through several range trips and 5 different brands of ammo before they'll accept it for warranty work.

Thanks,
UD.

·
Registered
66 Posts
+1 for One-Eyed..

Maybe try a different ammo and see if that makes any difference. If it does, shoot it for a bit than try the WWB again and see if it's only that particular ammo. If that fails, I'd definately take advantage of the warranty and see what SA can do about it.

I put about 150 rounds of the WWB through my new XD9 Service this afternoon without so much as a hiccup but every gun is going to be slightly different....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Of those people that report extraction problems with XD's, WWB seems to be the ammo that it occurs with. My own personal experience indicates a 2% FTE rate when WWB is used. Simple solution. Use something else. American Eagle works flawless for me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went out to the range this morning and shot 200 rounds of WWB. Zero FTEs. No problems whatsoever. I was waiting for it to start failing and then I was gonna start running some Blazer through it to see if it failed with that.

This is the first time I've gone through 100 rounds without an FTE, let alone 200 rounds. So I'll keep my hopes up and continue pushing WWB through it until it does it again. With any luck, never. :)

UD.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I find it really hard to believe FTE problems could be from the brand of ammo. But when you call Springfield, the first words you will hear will be "Did you try another brand of ammo?"

I had problems with three out of four brands, including WWB, with my XD and Springfield is going to replace the gun. I bought a Taurus and it has had no probems whatsoever with any brand, including WWB, I have tried so far.

Its the gun.

Tom

·
Registered
94 Posts
NewXD40fun said:
I find it really hard to believe FTE problems could be from the brand of ammo. But when you call Springfield, the first words you will hear will be "Did you try another brand of ammo?"

I had problems with three out of four brands, including WWB, with my XD and Springfield is going to replace the gun. I bought a Taurus and it has had no probems whatsoever with any brand, including WWB, I have tried so far.

Its the gun.

Tom
Why is it so hard to believe. He just proved the point. Every ammo manufacturer has defferent tolerances as well as each gun.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never switched ammo. So I'm still clueless as to what the problem was/is. I am willing to accept that different ammo could cause this problem tho. Only time will tell.

UD.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
My sub9 didn't like CCI when I first started shooting it. Kept dropping the cases on my head and in my face. I switched to WWB and no more problem. CCI works just fine now as well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As long as whatever round I decide to carry is reliable, I don't really care how the economy range rounds perform. Just means I'll have to do much more testing with my carry ammo to have confidence in it.

UD.

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
My XD9 doesn't like WWB either. In 150 rounds I''ll uually get 1-2 fte. Not always, byt usually. I think their are two reasons. One I see some differences in how deep the bullet is seated in some rounds. QC isn't as tight on the cheap stuff. Next the ammo is very dirty. The fte almost always happen at 100+ rounds. I was going to send mine back to Springfield but I shot 250 rounds of Blazer without a hiccup. And 100 rounds of S&B in one session with no problem.
It's o.k. for what it's made for plinking and such. An occasional fte doesn't matter then. Just make sure it shoots your carry ammo 100%

·
Registered
7 Posts
I encounter the same problem as well with WWB. I just switched to Remington UMC and haven't had any problems so far. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. One more FTE and I'm gonna send it in to SA.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's been fine the last few times I've gone out to the range. I've intentionally not been cleaning out the chamber the last couple times and I've continued to use WWB. No issues to speak of. So I'm getting happier with it.

UD.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got back from the range where I put 100 rounds of UMC and 200 rounds of WWB through my SC40. I was having FTE's out the whazoo. Never had a FTE before today. The WWB was the worst culprit, but the UMC did not function flawlessly either. The sequence of ammo use was 50 rounds of WWB -> 100 rounds UMC -> 150 rounds WWB. I guess I'll clean the gun well and take it back to the range on Friday with any ammo but WWB.

This is frustrating. I traded a blued SC40 in for this bitone SC40 due to rust issues. Now I'm having FTEs with the bitone. The blued SC would occasionally FTF, but never FTE. The FTE is such that the case comes 1/2 out so you have to drop the mag and rack the slide twice to clear the shell. I'd prefer a slightly rusty SC with FTF in retrospect.

Guess I'll clean it and try other ammo before I drop off the deep end, but my Kimber CDP II is looking like a better and better investment everyday.

·
Registered
197 Posts
:wink: I'll end your troubles,.....$150 to take that miserable, rotten, crummy, XD off your hands. :roll:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I finally had a little time to take the SC to the range. Put 100 rounds of Federal Am Eagle and 50 rounds of CCI through it without a FTE. I guess the problem was with the WWB. I'll try and post again after I have a chance to put another 500 or so through it. I'm not sure if the problem was with WWB in general or just those particular boxes. I can't remember if I purchased them all at the same time or not. Anyway, I guess I'll have to upgrade to a different low grade ammo :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts