Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my second XD-9 - First was OD frame, black slide. Sold it because I was concerned about the reported rust issues :roll: Probably people who had never owned a blued gun... Anyway, replaced it with stainless slide, black frame. With the first I had a failure to extract within the first 150 rounds. Then went 300 more with no problem before I sold it. The second has about 120 rounds and had one failure to extract in the first 50. First gun's FTE was with UMC yellow box, second gun's was with Win. white box. I've been shooting for 20+ years, and wasn't limp wristing. Do XD-9s typically require a break in? Do they work better with hotter ammo (recoil spring heavy)?

Oh, and DigMe - whenever I read your posts I'm mesmerized by Ashlee Simpson's very strange dancing...

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have had my XD40 for a few weeks. I have shot it three times. First time 150 rounds(American Eagle ammo), no problems. Second time 50 rounds, 3 FTFs (UMC yellow box). Tried again today, 150 rounds (one box was UMC yellow box 165gr, the other two American Eagle), no problems.

I would not give up on it yet. You might want to try some different recoil springs and see how that works for you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not ready to give up, just want to know what to expect until broken in. My guess is that the recoil spring is a little heavy for light loads, although I tried limp wristing and couldn't duplicate the FTE. I do know that most manufacurers say to allow for a certain break in period, I'm just too lazy to look it up right now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's possible that it is too light on lubrication. I had used a light amount of lube on the slide rails once (kinda on purpose) and my XD9 failed to extract 3 times out of 50 rounds. The next time out I put a more appropriate amount of lube, and it ran the day without incident. I shoot Federal Independence Ammo, which is 115gr.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm not so sure using light or heavy oil on the rail would make much of a difference or cause FTE's. I would say test some different ammo with different springs if the problem persists.

·
Registered
218 Posts
your weapon isn't broken in yet. keep shooting. 300 rounds is the *minimum* to break in a new weapon. you dont need to look it up, its a good rule of thumb to have. 300 is ok, 500 is good, 700 is better....not specificly for XDs in paticular....just if you buy a new weapon shoot the hell out of it....your weapon and you will both perform better from the extra shooting.

trying to find ammo your weapon likes is never a bad idea either...play around with it....find what target and deffensive loads you and the weapon prefer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Failure to extract is a common problem with the XD-9. Your gun won't get better until you find ammo that it likes. Federal American Eagle is the most reliable in the three XD-9's that I have owned.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i also have a newer XD 40 and use american eagle in different grains not a single problem in 300 rounds..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gary G23 said:
Failure to extract is a common problem with the XD-9. Your gun won't get better until you find ammo that it likes. Federal American Eagle is the most reliable in the three XD-9's that I have owned.
Is this true? I find it hard to believe that so many of you would love the XD if failure to extract is a common problem. Is it maybe a problem during break in, and those that have "found ammo that it likes" have actually just been trying different ammo during the break in, and the ammo it "likes" is whatever ammo was shot after it was broken in?

If I find I have to use a specific ammo, there will be a bi-tone XD9 for sale...

·
Registered
85 Posts
9mm lover said:
If I find I have to use a specific ammo, there will be a bi-tone XD9 for sale...
These 124gr HP bullets were the only ones which have caused me problems so far.

Because... they didn't fit in the XD9 chamber! Perhaps the cartridges were too long, but the same ammo chambered fine on a G17. I thought about polishing the chamber/barrel junction down (just a teeny bit would work), but then I decided against it because it probably makes it a little more accurate.

Oh yeah, also had some of that Greek Olympic ammo. The primers kept falling off that stuff. It was annoying.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts